check the way I did on my Diablo. Audi shaft cut and joint to S10 shaft
http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=454.15

aeauto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Axles
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »
It is not a good idea to use CV joints on one end of the axle and a u-joint on the other because u-joints, by their design, set up a harmonic vibration that is cancelled out when two u-joints are used together on one axle or driveshaft but will be present if only one is used.  I have made adapters to mount CV joints on the Corvette stub axles that have u-joint saddles on them.

norcaldiablo

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Summation "The List"
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
As an aside:
I have read that others were considering using the CV side of the Porsche and the CV axle stub of the C5, but read as many responses expressing concern regarding the attaching of the 2 stubs. I have read " Welding of these is not advisable and apparently just will not at all work.", yet Jim Dinner states "Who ever said this is wrong, it works fine and has been in service for years."  (Actually 2 different opinions regarding something to do with a kit car??? NO WAY! ::tongue)

Some have discussed splined tubes press fit over both but I have never read anything about someone actually having such an axle and it working out.

So I now have both ends handled.  Off to the Driveline Shop!

Jim Dinner gave me the part numbers for a slip yoke set which is what will provide the plunge as the suspension moves up and down (changing the dimension between the trans and hub).

My axles came out different from U joint to U joint. They were 24” and 22 ½”,  but certainly don’t use this for your car. You will have to measure it. I installed the hub and axle stub, with the U joint installed, as well as the Porsche end, and measured from this to get it accurate. I was 2 1/2” different on each side.

Summation:
Chevy S10 4x4 front hubs.  5 on 4 ¾” bolt pattern.   ($ came with the car)
(19” Corvette wheels fit with the 13” rotors I have)

1984 or 85 Corvette C4 axles: 1 1/8”, (29.5mm)  27 spline axles. 4” long. Get the Nuts!!  (86 to 88 will also work)  ($99 including shipping from redneck)

Porsche trans CV axle ends taken apart. ($ FREE!! From a friend)

The part numbers for the DANA 1350 axle parts are as follows;

3-28-57 - Weld Yoke. One is required on each shaft to weld to the 3" tube, 4 total ($106 for all 4)

3-30598KX Slip Yoke. One on each required  ($123 for 2)

3-40-1101 Spline.  One on each required  ($178 for 2)

3" X 0.083" seamless tube cut to whatever length you need.  ($22 )

2-0053 U joints  ($77 for all 4)

Welding  ($160)

Grand total for 2 axles  $810 including tax.  Im happy as I have seen others paying well over $2000.

I believe if you use the sources Jim Dinner supplies from Ebay (Search for “1350 Driveshaft” – Seller TADDCOM) you could get better pricing. I was just more comfortable working with someone across the counter rather than across the country. However if I did it again I would have no problem using the Ebay parts and suppliers.

Special acknowledgements to Jim Dinner and Sebastian for their help!  Thanks guys!!

I have many pictures but when I try to post them the post will not take??? pm me and I can send them to you.

norcaldiablo

Porsche CV
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
So I slipped the C clip off the end of the Porsche axle, and with the judicious use of the BFH (Big Effing Hammer! ) got the cup and ball bearings apart, then the whole thing came apart and I was able to get the “Donut” off. The Donut is exactly the same on both ends so only one axle is needed.

The Driveline shop has the weld on yokes in stock. Seem like these are a VERY common part. The shop turned down the outer diameter of the weld on area of the yoke so it becomes a press fit into the donut, then did the welding.

One issue with this is that the yoke covers 2 of the 6 attachment holes. Sebastian told me he had a machine shop make some plates for him. I am going to take a chance here and turn 2 of the 6 bolts into studs, and rely on the other 4 to hold it in place. The bolts fit so tight I believe the shear value will still be present even if the friction is marginally less. I can’t offer anything more that my opinion now and suspect car will not really be on the road for a year so don’t hold your breath for real world testing.

norcaldiablo

C4 axles
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
The car came with REALLY COOL 13” rotors and calipers. Also came with 15” wheels, well sort of, Wheels were on non accurate adapters, held on with 2 nuts and a mess of washers. Even with all this it would not roll right.  The hubs are 5 on 4 3/4
 bolt pattern. I tried some 15” and 16” and even 17” wheels and they would not clear the rotors.  I found some Corvette 19” wheels on line and the bolt pattern matched. (It is my plan to get some wheel of any kind and use these as “rollers”. Once I have the car done, I can then know EXACTLY what is wrong with the wheels and tires, backset and such, then order the correct ones.) The wheels went on just fine on the rear. Not the front. I have air bags on the front A arms for lifting the car over speed bumps and the tires hit these, but a bigger problem was the wheels hitting the lower ball joint. Final solution was to order 3 ½” wheel studs (from Summit), and about 1” spacers. Car now rolls fine, but will have to figure out the wheel situation later.

On the other end:

A friend of mine races a Porsche 944, and happened to have some axles he could give me. I was not sure with the year difference and style change if they would work, but they are a direct fit!

Except they don’t really work   Ever have this sort of experience when working on your cars???

These are CV axles, while the Corvette 84 is a U joint style.

The 84 to 88 Corvette C4 is a U joint axle. The 89 on  (the C5 style) were CV joints. I believe some people will use these if trying to get a CV axle, which is supposed to be preferable (I am not sure why).

norcaldiablo

C4 Axle stubs
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:54:17 AM »
Back to the Driveline shop. He looked at them for a week trying to find a way to match them with any of the components that had been recommended (again by Jim Dinner) Turns out the axle stubs are designed for very small U joints that match nothing else substantial.  So, while these axle stubs fit the hub, they are not an appropriate choice. 

Back on line looking HARD for alternates.

I read the BMW axles work, but are short. AEAutomotive makes special nuts to make these work with the S10 hubs, ($125.)  but I kept looking. (I also read you could actually get these axles in the right length if you looked hard enough and they bolt right up to the Audi and you have a CV axle, but still need the AEAutomotive nuts).

I heard maybe the Corvette axle stubs might work. Looked at a lot of pictures on Ebay, but could not count the splines. I called eBay Member: redneck43 rednec_kq6207mh@members.ebay.com   in Florida who seem to know LOTS about older Corvettes. He was able to tell me:

1984 and 85 corvette rear axle stubs. 1 1/8” or 29.5mm with 27 splines.
NOTE: The 86 to 88 will also work but they have the reluctor wheel attached. (Sebastian has this axle in his write up.) Most important however is the fact they all come with the strap style U joint attachments These are sometimes called Dana 44 or Spicer 36. These are an easy (and apparently only)  match to the available yokes.
 $99 including shipping.  AGAIN, NOTE!!! The nuts and washers are REALLY hard to find if they do not come with the axles! Make sure they are a part of the deal. They are not a standard thread you cannot run down to the parts store for them.

The axle stubs fit right in and the nuts tightened up (snug) after I had everything wire wheeled and wire brushed. (Can someone tell me about “pre-loading” ?)

So finally have one end of the axle started.

Well not really….

norcaldiablo

Hubs
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »
The car is an IFG Diablo roadster on an NAERC chassis.

So this is going to be long winded but with an effort to be as complete as possible. I had MANY hiccups along the way I hope I can prevent for you.

When I got the car/project, it had the LS1 and a Porsche 915 tranny, however no documentation on much. I had no idea what hubs it had but was guessing Corvette C4 or C5.

TRANSAXLE
Porsche915
This transaxle came in a number of cars, such as the 911 and 912. The output has a hub with 6 bolt holes This is all I know of the trans other than what I have read on line. NOTE: This trans does not sit centered in the chassis. The axles need to be different lengths. More later.

HUBS
While I thought I had Corvette hubs, Jim Dinner explained the NAERC chassis was designed for S10 hubs. Turns out this was the case.

The hubs are the FRONT hubs off a 2000 Chevy S10 4x4. (see pic) One of the distinguishing features is the 3 bolt attachment.  These were in the car when I got it and seem great. I do not know anything more about Corvette C4 or C5 hubs but believe they are 4 bolt hole attachment pieces, and I believe the caliper mounts are an integral part of them..

So I took the hub out of the car and went to the Driveline Shop of Santa Rosa here in Santa Rosa, CA. They helped as much as possible but did not have an axle stub for it. They directed me to The Rear End Shop here. They also did not have any axle stubs but directed me to a 4 wheel drive shop. They did in fact find me some axle stubs that fit. These are from a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. They fit just right! I was happy…….but….

norcaldiablo

Axles
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »
I have just completed my axles.  915 thru C4 to S10.