How To - Tips > Steering / Suspension

Axles

<< < (2/2)

norcaldiablo:
Back to the Driveline shop. He looked at them for a week trying to find a way to match them with any of the components that had been recommended (again by Jim Dinner) Turns out the axle stubs are designed for very small U joints that match nothing else substantial.  So, while these axle stubs fit the hub, they are not an appropriate choice. 

Back on line looking HARD for alternates.

I read the BMW axles work, but are short. AEAutomotive makes special nuts to make these work with the S10 hubs, ($125.)  but I kept looking. (I also read you could actually get these axles in the right length if you looked hard enough and they bolt right up to the Audi and you have a CV axle, but still need the AEAutomotive nuts).

I heard maybe the Corvette axle stubs might work. Looked at a lot of pictures on Ebay, but could not count the splines. I called eBay Member: redneck43 rednec_kq6207mh@members.ebay.com   in Florida who seem to know LOTS about older Corvettes. He was able to tell me:

1984 and 85 corvette rear axle stubs. 1 1/8” or 29.5mm with 27 splines.
NOTE: The 86 to 88 will also work but they have the reluctor wheel attached. (Sebastian has this axle in his write up.) Most important however is the fact they all come with the strap style U joint attachments These are sometimes called Dana 44 or Spicer 36. These are an easy (and apparently only)  match to the available yokes.
 $99 including shipping.  AGAIN, NOTE!!! The nuts and washers are REALLY hard to find if they do not come with the axles! Make sure they are a part of the deal. They are not a standard thread you cannot run down to the parts store for them.

The axle stubs fit right in and the nuts tightened up (snug) after I had everything wire wheeled and wire brushed. (Can someone tell me about “pre-loading” ?)

So finally have one end of the axle started.

Well not really….

norcaldiablo:
The car is an IFG Diablo roadster on an NAERC chassis.

So this is going to be long winded but with an effort to be as complete as possible. I had MANY hiccups along the way I hope I can prevent for you.

When I got the car/project, it had the LS1 and a Porsche 915 tranny, however no documentation on much. I had no idea what hubs it had but was guessing Corvette C4 or C5.

TRANSAXLE
Porsche915
This transaxle came in a number of cars, such as the 911 and 912. The output has a hub with 6 bolt holes This is all I know of the trans other than what I have read on line. NOTE: This trans does not sit centered in the chassis. The axles need to be different lengths. More later.

HUBS
While I thought I had Corvette hubs, Jim Dinner explained the NAERC chassis was designed for S10 hubs. Turns out this was the case.

The hubs are the FRONT hubs off a 2000 Chevy S10 4x4. (see pic) One of the distinguishing features is the 3 bolt attachment.  These were in the car when I got it and seem great. I do not know anything more about Corvette C4 or C5 hubs but believe they are 4 bolt hole attachment pieces, and I believe the caliper mounts are an integral part of them..

So I took the hub out of the car and went to the Driveline Shop of Santa Rosa here in Santa Rosa, CA. They helped as much as possible but did not have an axle stub for it. They directed me to The Rear End Shop here. They also did not have any axle stubs but directed me to a 4 wheel drive shop. They did in fact find me some axle stubs that fit. These are from a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. They fit just right! I was happy…….but….

norcaldiablo:
I have just completed my axles.  915 thru C4 to S10.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version