Author Topic: in need of some g28 door glass asap some one help  (Read 17820 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: in need of some g28 door glass asap some one help
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
Truthfully, most of Rob's "partial builds" don't even have doors so his "builds" aren't a great example here.

I agree that a wiper is important! :)

If I recall correctly, some people are using a Toyota Yaris wiper.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »
Yep. As stated "if and when" no real glass is available for a roadster then plexi is more desirable then none (especially if the roadster has a convertible top). Yes there are things to improve the functionality & looks too it seems.

The wiper on a roadster (not as much as a coupe) has been neglected.
I have only personally seen 2 roadster replica Murcis and neither had wipers! Also the two "partial builds" I have seen by Rob on eBay in the recent past didn't even have holes for them.. Mitch's doesn't have one (my build is kind of similar to his) and I dunno if the rest of the guys here with roadsters are making them with wipers! CKI had also only completed one roadster with no wiper too. Btw. The ones that have wipers, what r they using!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:02:10 PM by am33r »

Murci-Me

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Also, why wouldnt a car have a windshield wiper? You state that like its something most builds dont have, when in reality most builds do have it.

Murci-Me

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Yes Murci-Me.
So far, those who built Roadsters (maybe 10 completed builds out there) didn't need windows because they don't drive their cars 'enclosed' and have a Dry-Season open car. I am making mine with Windows and a Convertible Top because I'd like to drive it 'Enclosed' with my AC on if it's very sunny without the top being down. I'm also looking to work a windshied wiper in case it rains... I want an all season convertible!

If and when only the plexi could be available, then having such an all-season package is VERY desirable, and will not be a negative-feature by any measure if/when the car to be sold.

Plexiglass side windows could never be a desireable option when compared to real glass. Common sense will tell you that a car with glass side windows is more desireable than plexi side windows. Plexi scratches (even the "scratch resistant"), warps, hazes, bends, can't be tinted, stains, and so on. Yes, having power windows on a roadster is a plus, but the windows being plexi is a negative.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:34:13 PM by Murci-Me »

solrac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 52
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
COUNT me in for a set.. pm with info of payment.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
Yes Murci-Me.
So far, those who built Roadsters (maybe 10 completed builds out there) didn't need windows because they don't drive their cars 'enclosed' and have a Dry-Season open car. I am making mine with Windows and a Convertible Top because I'd like to drive it 'Enclosed' with my AC on if it's very sunny without the top being down. I'm also looking to work a windshied wiper in case it rains... I want an all season convertible!

If and when only the plexi could be available, then having such an all-season package is VERY desirable, and will not be a negative-feature by any measure if/when the car to be sold.

Murci-Me

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »
There is a huge and very noticeable difference in shape between coupe and roadster glass. Sure, plexi can be cut to any shape you want, but very few people actually "want" plexi for their build. I imagine plexi side windows would also be a negative feature when it comes to selling the car.

Nitemare

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2013, 07:55:12 AM »
So Mark clapp makes roadster lexan windows too or does he just make them oversize to be trimmed to fit both?
I have them but I never had to specify for roadster or coupe, I'm building a coupe

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2013, 07:49:30 AM »
First off, nobody has to "front" any money. I will pay for all the glass, but need a 50% deposit (non refundable) from anybody who wants a set.
Second (and most important) is that this COUPE glass will IN NO WAY FIT A ROADSTER. It wasnt designed to be a "fit all" for either build, and IT WILL ONLY FIT G28 TYPE COUPE BODIES.
I am 100% responsible for how this glass will fit, not the guy who crates it up and ships it out.
This glass was designed to fit the window opening on the G28 bodies. There is a difference of 1/2" in length between the right and left window openings on a G28, this glass fits accordingly.
The quality of the glass is top AAA+. It is manufactured by the top supplier of automotive glass in the United States. The clarity of the glass is superb, totally flawless.

I am offering this glass to anybody on this or other forums.
Pslim337 needs glass, and I will help him. If nobody volunteers to be a middleman to save everybody money thats fine, he and I will go this alone.

Thanks Mike.   ::thumbup

Chris

jrule78

• Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2013, 06:56:11 AM »
    Murci-me, I am in a committed relationship with the coupe glass.  Thanks

Murci-Me

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »
First off, nobody has to "front" any money. I will pay for all the glass, but need a 50% deposit (non refundable) from anybody who wants a set.
Second (and most important) is that this COUPE glass will IN NO WAY FIT A ROADSTER. It wasnt designed to be a "fit all" for either build, and IT WILL ONLY FIT G28 TYPE COUPE BODIES.
I am 100% responsible for how this glass will fit, not the guy who crates it up and ships it out.
This glass was designed to fit the window opening on the G28 bodies. There is a difference of 1/2" in length between the right and left window openings on a G28, this glass fits accordingly.
The quality of the glass is top AAA+. It is manufactured by the top supplier of automotive glass in the United States. The clarity of the glass is superb, totally flawless.

I am offering this glass to anybody on this or other forums.
Pslim337 needs glass, and I will help him. If nobody volunteers to be a middleman to save everybody money thats fine, he and I will go this alone.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »
Moving forward on the Interest Section

Murci-Me G28 Coupe glass:

Committed:
  x2 pslim337
  x1 usmc_butler

G28 Roadster:

(Am33r has set of Mark Clapp - Will measure it this week and welling to send a set to the Glass Maker)

Committed:
  x2 dratts
  x1 Chris
  x1 Am33r

Other (Awaiting Fitment Research)

(Reventon - will coupe glass fit?) solrac
  (unkown) jrule78 PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU"RE AFTER
  (unknown) Nitemare? PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU"RE AFTER
 :)
Let's complete the Interest Section then move on to Manage the Process. I will also contact two makers in CA to see what they can do for $300 or less a set.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:24:30 PM by am33r »

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »
Totally reasonable expectations Chris. The $263 a pair figure came from Murci-Me. If he no longer wants to coordinate this buy and ship them out, all bets are off. I sincerely hope this works out for all of you.

When it comes time to do my OEM glass, I plan to set something up with a company here on the West Coast. I will probably buy OEM glass to use as a template so we get it right. Hopefully by then others will be interested in buying some OEM spec glass to help me defer the costs of that fun little project.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
OK, so for coupe glass you have...

Committed:
  x2 pslim337
  x1 usmc_butler

Other interest:
  x2 (roadster) dratts
  (Reventon - will coupe glass fit?) solrac
  (unkown) jrule78
  (unknown) Nitemare?

I'm in for a roadster set if we can absolutely ensure a set can be made for the G28 roadster.

Thanks,

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
I live about three hours from Batavia Ohio but I'm not jumping on this as the organizer for a couple reasons.

1. I simply do not have the extra time to coordinate the purchase, pick-up, crating and then shipping out to everyone.

2. I really don't want to deal with any hassles associated with product quality or fit and be "the guy in the middle".

3. I don't want to front my money to get the order started and then get stuck with needing to collect from everyone to pay the supplier.

4. My time, fuel and 300 miles on my car is worth something and everyone seems to be expecting this glass for around $270 a pair.  Someone has to crate these up after they've been picked up ($$$) and then pay to have them shipped to each builder ($$$). 

5. No one is totally sure how these will fit a roadster or if the molds for the coupe can be modified slightly to make glass for a roadster.  I would need a set of plexiglass windows that we absolutely know will fit a G28 roadster and take them to the glass supplier.

I could consider this if certain conditions were met up front.

A. My time and expenses (fuel / mileage) are reasonably compensated.

B. Crating is performed by someone other than me.  I can coordinate this locally in my town by someone who has the facility, materials and tool to build solid packaging.  Each buyer will be expected to pick these costs up plus UPS shipping.  I would simply want to pick up the order from the glass supplier and drop everything off at the packaging company (UPS store) who would then ship it to the buyer.

C. Someone must ship a set of G28 roadster windows to Batavia so they are able to compare them with the molds they have for the coupe.  I'm in only if they are able to make both roadster and coupe glass since there appears to be a demand for both.

D. Full payment (minus shipping / crating costs - TBD) for the glass most be received by everyone wanting a set of windows.  If the minimum order is not reached, everything will be refunded.  Payment would be need to be made by PayPal and any PayPal fees are picked up by the seller.  Shipping and crating costs must be received prior to shipment of the glass.

C. Any quality / fitment issues are worked between the buyer and the glass supplier.  Tracking numbers would be sent with each shipment and insurance would be mandatory.  Any breakage would be between UPS and the buyer.

I know this might sound like a lot a demands however I was once left holding the bag on a $15,000 mold injection project (Muscle car parking and reverse lens project) and it took me over six years to sell enough parts to recover my losses.  I've said it before, I have no desire to get into this as a business and I would only be able to help coordinate this as a last option and only if the conditions I listed above were agreed upon by everyone up front. 

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:26:42 PM by No Bull »