Author Topic: in need of some g28 door glass asap some one help  (Read 17832 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: in need of some g28 door glass asap some one help
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
I'm glad you told us about this pslim337. Who knows, I may have gone with plastic but no way I will do that now.  :(

I really hope enough people will come together to make the G28 glass happen.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

pslim337

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
ya im trying to get m -me to do it agen i need some bad.
the heat out side buckle the ones i got from mark

pslim337

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »
ya im trying to get m -me to do it agen i need some bad

BigPines

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
It is shocking to me that more people aren't clamoring to get this ultra cheap G28 coupe glass. The G28 has to be the most popular kit by far and glass has to be one of the hardest things to get right. This price is so cheap too! I'll tell you, if I was planning a G28 build, I would definitely be in on this.

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
If we ever get a group buy on g28 roadster door glass together I want to be in on it.  My top build is being held up until I get glass in place.

BigPines

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 08:42:55 AM »
Oh I see! Now everything is clear. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think it is a big deal that the G28 glass doesn't go down all the way. It looks good to me. Thanks for the pics. Do you happen to have any that show the windows up so we can see how the curve of the glass matches. I assume it matches very well.

Actually, you don't share nearly enough pictures of your car Mike. This thing is beautiful. I'd love to see more!

Murci-Me

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
You can see the glass much better in this pic.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:11:25 AM by No Bull »

Murci-Me

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:22 PM »
Heres the only pics I could find showing how far it sticks up when fully retracted......

Murci-Me

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
The glass is the standard 3/16" (for use with maxima guides and regulators), and since it is automotive tempered glass it has the D.O.T. slight green tint to it. There is no other tint to the window than that, since in the grand state of CA. that would be illegal.
I'll look and see if I have any pictures of the glass. It uses the standard glue tab that is also found on most power window glass now, and the bottom edge of the glass is straight from front to back to allow for glueing of the tabs in any position.
When the windows are rolled down, about 3" stays sticking up in the opening. This is caused by the G28 door pocket not being deep (tall) enough to fit the entire height of the glass inside it when rolled down.

pslim337

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »
263 got it im ready when u ready pm sent ::bounce

BigPines

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
Murci-Me,

Any chance you could post some detailed pictures of one of your windows so people know what they are buying? Maybe some close-ups from the outside rolled up, rolled as far down as they go. Also, as No Bull asked, are they tinted/polarized? What is the thickness?

I am seriously thinking about getting in on this just in case my plans change and I go with a G28 body. This is so cheap that everyone building a G28 should be jumping in.

Thank you for your help with this.

Mike

solrac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 52
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
count me in if it fits my reventon build.. i can do local pick up since i am in Los Ageles.

Murci-Me

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
OK, I didn't mean for my post to sound like I was making fun of anybody, i'm sorry if it came across like that.
Years ago when I was working on my build, I went through exactly what I see many people going through now, -trying to find glass to fit my G28 build. After months of searching for donor glass, I came to the realization that their is not going to be a donor glass that will fit the opening exactly like it needed to be.
Autotemp offered to make the glass for me, all I had to do was send them an exact template of the shape, and what radius curvature I needed. I had to pay a $1K set-up/tooling fee ($500 each side), and then $160 for each set of glass, with no minimum order. I ordered 5 sets (10 pieces), and they arrived about 8 weeks later.
So now, Autotemp has my jigs to make my glass anytime I need it. They still charge $160/set which I think is a great price, but they also charge $300 for crating and shipping, no matter how many pieces you order.
If 5 people here wanted a set of glass, it would cost 5 X $160 = $800, plus $300 shipping for a total of $1100. Divide that number between the 5 sets, and each set would cost $220. Shipping from me to anywhere in continental U.S. is an additional $43, bringing the total cost to $263/set.

BigPines

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
I don't think anyone has an issue with Mike (Murci-Me) coordinating this if he decides to take on the project and offer it again.  This still leaves the question if the glass will fit both the coupe and roadster correctly and I'm sure he will want to know how many are seriously interested enough to leave a deposit.

If it's just for the coupes, then there might still be enough interest for a group purchase of G28 coupe glass.  If they don't fit the roadster, then  we still have the option of coordinating a group buy and absorbing the cost of tooling in each window.
Chris, unless I am mistaken, the OEM roadster glass is different. It would have to be confirmed by someone but I think the coupe glass would fit into the door but it wouldn't have the same cut on the top and some people may not like the look of the result. Personally, I wouldn't compromise on this but some people may disagree.

If someone will do OEM spec glass for that price, I would be all over that. Sadly, I don't think that will happen.

Too bad we don't all need the same glass. In this instance, we seem really fragmented. :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:38:44 PM by BigPines »

pslim337

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »
yes it is i got the mark cllap glass  an it was fine tell it got hot down here the heat made the glass bukle i need to sets one to put on the car an one for safe keeping