How To - Tips > Engine & Transmission

Recommendations for fuel pump on a carbureted v8 conversion

(1/3) > >>

Robert:

--- Quote from: tonypaul on May 22, 2013, 10:37:16 PM ---I used a 4 cylinder Fiero fuel pump with a aftermarket regulator on my carbed sbc in my Diablo worked great. I can send you the fuel pump for free if you want it. I just pulled it out last month when I put in the LS4.

--- End quote ---
One more tip. A fuel injected 4 cylinder requires more psi, than a carb motor. Psi does NOT equal volume, you may experience a lean condition. I remember when I used a stock fuel pump on performance big block 427, the first time I raced someone, the carb ran out of fuel. I thought the engine blew up. I had forged pistons. A lean condition makes an engine run hot. You could possibly burn holes in you pistons. Good luck in your decision.

tonypaul:
I used a 4 cylinder Fiero fuel pump with a aftermarket regulator on my carbed sbc in my Diablo worked great. I can send you the fuel pump for free if you want it. I just pulled it out last month when I put in the LS4.

Robert:

--- Quote from: CCIE on May 22, 2013, 01:40:20 PM ---edelbrock 750 cfm

--- End quote ---
What is the cubic in displacement? The big mistake people usually make is too big of a carb. Here is carb size calc link http://www.csgnetwork.com/cfmcalc.html
I love edelbrock carbs, I had a 750 on a 427 chevy, it worked great! The graphing chart is a no brainer with the correct mettering rods and jets. Cubic inch displacement and rpm determind cfm needed. To big is not good! I used a carter street strip pump on my big block, 7 psi. Don't use a fuel pump made for a fuel injected motor. If you go external, remove the pump inside the tank, and make sure there is a strainer at the pick up point, on the bottom of the tank. ::thumbup

jrule78:
   That carb runs at 7psi fuel pressure.  You should have a regulator already if you were using the stock pump. However you decide to feed the carb I would recommend having a regulator and gauge.

CCIE:
edelbrock 750 cfm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version