How To - Tips > Steering / Suspension

Power Steering rack & lines

<< < (2/3) > >>

autopro:

--- Quote from: 01Lambiero on May 22, 2013, 12:10:50 PM ---I used a '99 Firebird/Camaro rack and steel 3/8" lines.  My mistake was in using compression unions to join the tubing.  The pressure in the power steering lines will blow the compression union apart.  Make sure that your steel lines are double flared and use a coupling to mate the lines.  Jim

--- End quote ---

Jim, the NAERC plans call for a 93-97 Firebird/Camaro rack with a 2.2 Ratio.  How do you know which racks have the 2.2 ratio?

solrac:
Lose some weight.  ::tongue lol

01Lambiero:
True, ideally.  It's an item that I may recheck down the road when I get the other 2000 problems handled.  I also had to modify the LH inner tie rod but all I had to do was shorten it and shorten the tie rod end so actually both sides were shortened keeping the rack centered.  One of my biggest problems that I just can't seem to correct is the difficulty that I have just getting into my car.  Anybody have an idea for a fix there?    Jim

aeauto:
The tie rods should be the same length.  If they are not you need to do a bump steer check and make sure that you don't have a problem there.

01Lambiero:
My chassis is a '87 Fiero but I don't think that there is much difference to the '88.  I basically welded two mounts for the rack to the cross member and centered it.  Then I welded the matching brackets on the top of the cross member.  It ended up with a sharp angle to the oem steering shaft but works fine.  The RH inner tierod had to be shortened also. (I don't know why as the rack is centered).  I simply cut out a section, sleeved it, and welded it.  Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version