Author Topic: properly connecting G28 rocker panel to main body  (Read 3912 times)

pkovgolf

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-2
Re: properly connecting G28 rocker panel to main body
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
Thanks again RT - those pictures are great - very helpful

I do not have an interior 'ceiling' yet but intend to get one for my Murcie

NICE PICTURES!!!!

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
pkovgolf...
I used a lot of different sizes depending on where it was used and what is was required to do, usually just mild steel.  Heavy wall steel is good in some locations but if you use very heavy steel everywhere, you will have a very heavy build.
You have to view the purpose of the steel.  Is it structural that has to withstand the stresses of engine weight and driveline forces or is it just to hold small items or is it to support the body?  I have a few pictures on a recent post at kitcentral that might give you some ideas.

http://www.kitcentral.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11325&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=b6fd02e5a571509d496ad7fece0389dd

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

pkovgolf

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »
Thank you RT !!

I am sorry - I thought I responded to your message.
That was really helpful.
I am hoping my tubing bender from Harbor Freight will work OK for everything

** Can you please tell me what 'type' of tube stock you used - I assume the 'good' quality metal - can you tell me wall thickness and type, for both the round and square tuding, since this is the cage that keeps us alive in an accident :0

THANKS AGAIN!

RT

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
Thank you very much !!!!
I bought my car from another person who had already bonded the panels except for the rockers.  I ended up gluing the rockers on (well one so far) so i am out of luck now.
I sure wish i had posted this message earlier   :-\

Is there any chance you have any detailed information on the 'support' frame you built?  I want to make sure my body is strongly mounted and supported.  I cant find any detailed info for the fiero and g28 body :(

How did you do the frame for the roof/window/rocker supports?

If you have any info you could share, including under front.bumper support, it would be GREATLY appreciated

If you look at my build diary pictures, you can see my main frame.
How do I properly design and position windshield frame and do.you know

[/quote

Basically what you have to do is locate your body to your chassis and determine a way to extend a structure from your chassis to the location where you want to bolt the body parts.  Be aware that somebody might lean on your car (something we hope never happens but can) so you have to be sure the support can handle it.
As for the windshield frame, I used 1" diameter 1/8" wall steel tubing up the sides and part way over the door opening where I converted to 1" square tubing 1/8" wall.  That fits easier along the top of the door opening.  Use a tubing bender to curve the tube.  If you don't have a tubing bender the old fashioned way to bend tubing without kinking is to fill it with sand, cork the ends of the tube, and heat it with a torch then bend it around a form to shape.  You could also (Last resort) cut slots (reliefs) through the inside of the tube bend, bend the tube to close the gap and weld the tube back together.  Further, in order to stiffen your frame structure, weld in "X" frame bracing to the roof frame under the fiberglass, over your headliner panel.  I do warn you to keep that framing tight to the roof and headliner to give you as much interior headroom as possible.  You have been warned.
Not mentioned in my video is that the door latches also have to be solidly mounted to a support from your chassis.  Since they bolt through your rear quarter at the door jamb, they provide another body mount location.

RT

pkovgolf

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »
Thank you very much !!!!
I bought my car from another person who had already bonded the panels except for the rockers.  I ended up gluing the rockers on (well one so far) so i am out of luck now.
I sure wish i had posted this message earlier   :-\

Is there any chance you have any detailed information on the 'support' frame you built?  I want to make sure my body is strongly mounted and supported.  I cant find any detailed info for the fiero and g28 body :(

How did you do the frame for the roof/window/rocker supports?

If you have any info you could share, including under front.bumper support, it would be GREATLY appreciated

If you look at my build diary pictures, you can see my main frame.
How do I properly design and position windshield frame and do.you know

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time to make and post this video. It is very helpful!

So the gasket/separator for the rockers is made out of plastic instead of rubber. I didn't know that.

I agree that it is best to keep the panels as close to factory as possible. If Lamborghini made them removable, they did it for a reason. It seems like the rocker panels are areas you want an easy option to repair/replace.

Mike
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

RT

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:18:46 AM »
I'm not sure why you would want to bond the rocker to the body if it is already a separate piece.  Keeping it separate is a good thing.  If it ever gets damaged it would be easier to repair/replace AND factory has them as individual pieces with a black spacer between them.
I have bolted my entire body in separate pieces to the chassis.  That will prevent any stress cracks from traveling through the entire body.  I have a video I recently made to show where I bolted to the chassis.  I'm sorry for the poor quality sound but you should be able to understand what was done.
Check it out...
Replica Lambo body panel bolt locations

RT

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:53:37 AM »
I bolted my rockers to the body, then reinforced them underneath with steel. now ill  glass them in from the inside, and then remove the bolts, and do some cleanup on the outside, and done.
Siteupp.com

BigPines

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:17 PM »
I'm not 100% certain how it is supposed to work but I think there is a rubber/plastic gasket that goes between the rocker and the body. Hopefully someone here with first-hand experience will chime in. I haven't actually built anything yet so I'm definitely no expert.

pkovgolf

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23:53 PM »
Could you explain how you would bond the G28 rockers to the body in a 'non permanent' way?
I planned to glue them on and the glass them the rest of the way.  I sure would like a better way though!    :D

Thank you

pkovgolf

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »
thank you
I am referring to the two.piece air intake rocker panels that sit right below the door and consist of a main long curved piece that runs inder the doors and the end piece that sits by the rear tire
It needs to bond to the main body right below the door and be made to look like one piece. 

So i am asking how.to.properly connect the three.fiberglass.pieces together and more importantly how to bond it to the body?

Is this covered with details and pictures in a build diary anywhere ?

Thank you!
Petet

BigPines

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »
I don't think you want to glass the rocker panels to the body. They should mount separately and be removable. Did I misunderstand your question?

pkovgolf

properly connecting G28 rocker panel to main body
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
Could someone please post or send me (pjkovach@comcast.net) the propwr way to connect/align/and bond/fiberglass the two pieces together si they do not crack over time?
This seems like a big potential stress point

thank you!