properly connecting G28 rocker panel to main body

(1/3) > >>

pkovgolf:
Thanks again RT - those pictures are great - very helpful

I do not have an interior 'ceiling' yet but intend to get one for my Murcie

NICE PICTURES!!!!

RT:
pkovgolf...
I used a lot of different sizes depending on where it was used and what is was required to do, usually just mild steel.  Heavy wall steel is good in some locations but if you use very heavy steel everywhere, you will have a very heavy build.
You have to view the purpose of the steel.  Is it structural that has to withstand the stresses of engine weight and driveline forces or is it just to hold small items or is it to support the body?  I have a few pictures on a recent post at kitcentral that might give you some ideas.

http://www.kitcentral.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11325&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=b6fd02e5a571509d496ad7fece0389dd

RT

pkovgolf:
Thank you RT !!

I am sorry - I thought I responded to your message.
That was really helpful.
I am hoping my tubing bender from Harbor Freight will work OK for everything

** Can you please tell me what 'type' of tube stock you used - I assume the 'good' quality metal - can you tell me wall thickness and type, for both the round and square tuding, since this is the cage that keeps us alive in an accident :0

THANKS AGAIN!

RT:

--- Quote from: pkovgolf on August 21, 2013, 07:02:32 PM ---Thank you very much !!!!
I bought my car from another person who had already bonded the panels except for the rockers.  I ended up gluing the rockers on (well one so far) so i am out of luck now.
I sure wish i had posted this message earlier   :-\

Is there any chance you have any detailed information on the 'support' frame you built?  I want to make sure my body is strongly mounted and supported.  I cant find any detailed info for the fiero and g28 body :(

How did you do the frame for the roof/window/rocker supports?

If you have any info you could share, including under front.bumper support, it would be GREATLY appreciated

If you look at my build diary pictures, you can see my main frame.
How do I properly design and position windshield frame and do.you know

[/quote

Basically what you have to do is locate your body to your chassis and determine a way to extend a structure from your chassis to the location where you want to bolt the body parts.  Be aware that somebody might lean on your car (something we hope never happens but can) so you have to be sure the support can handle it.
As for the windshield frame, I used 1" diameter 1/8" wall steel tubing up the sides and part way over the door opening where I converted to 1" square tubing 1/8" wall.  That fits easier along the top of the door opening.  Use a tubing bender to curve the tube.  If you don't have a tubing bender the old fashioned way to bend tubing without kinking is to fill it with sand, cork the ends of the tube, and heat it with a torch then bend it around a form to shape.  You could also (Last resort) cut slots (reliefs) through the inside of the tube bend, bend the tube to close the gap and weld the tube back together.  Further, in order to stiffen your frame structure, weld in "X" frame bracing to the roof frame under the fiberglass, over your headliner panel.  I do warn you to keep that framing tight to the roof and headliner to give you as much interior headroom as possible.  You have been warned.
Not mentioned in my video is that the door latches also have to be solidly mounted to a support from your chassis.  Since they bolt through your rear quarter at the door jamb, they provide another body mount location.

RT
--- End quote ---

pkovgolf:
Thank you very much !!!!
I bought my car from another person who had already bonded the panels except for the rockers.  I ended up gluing the rockers on (well one so far) so i am out of luck now.
I sure wish i had posted this message earlier   :-\

Is there any chance you have any detailed information on the 'support' frame you built?  I want to make sure my body is strongly mounted and supported.  I cant find any detailed info for the fiero and g28 body :(

How did you do the frame for the roof/window/rocker supports?

If you have any info you could share, including under front.bumper support, it would be GREATLY appreciated

If you look at my build diary pictures, you can see my main frame.
How do I properly design and position windshield frame and do.you know

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version