Author Topic: Don't worry about the motor  (Read 2677 times)

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: Don't worry about the motor
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
Lot's of info here guys,  each build is different along with financial resources & knowledge.  However the one thing we all have is a dream to build a nice car that we can drive & appreciate.  All advice given is great for each level of the builder.
When I first started building I couldn't flat out afford to build a replica.  I had a dream that was so strong my desire to own a Lamborghini out weighed my financial situation. 
Which brings up the next point,  sometimes we get in a rush and want drive and reap the rewards quicker than our destined time.  Take your time guys and build a good solid car.  That's the most important thing. 
An engine swap can always be done at a later date, No different than  doing an engine swap on any other production car.  Although it's easier to do during the building stage don't get bogged down with a swap. 
Choose a swap that's within your budget 700 hp in a replica is unreal unless you are building a track only car.  But hey I don't knock anyone who does put that much hp in a car.  The fit and finish is what's going to matter most, trust me on that.  You can sink your whole budget in the engine and crappy paint & interior will get you no where.
The diablo guys will remember Switta's diablo build.  He started with a v8 swapped to a v12 after his car was done.  I went through 3 different swaps during the construction of my diablo way back when the camaro 3.4 v6 was used in a fiero to a tune port 350 engine & finally settled on a 3.8 series ll v6 engine.  This was back before v12's were even thought of.

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
I guess Im the odd man out here.... I say do the way you want to do it the first time... If you start making comprises with your dream build your not going to be happy in the end...

Alot is going to depend on your donar, as in my case I had 3 Fieros to use and all had v6's in them. I wasnt about to use a drivetrain that I had no history on. And personally my dream isnt to have a 150hp kit/replica.

Im proof of that, I orginally installed a sbc in my build. Although it ran great, the trans was always going to be the weak link. Two years later, I swapped in a LS4/4T65ehd. In my opinion its better than the sbc, but the sbc was way better than  a stock Fiero V6. Point is I had to redo (spend more money) alot of things that I wouldnt have to if I had done the LS4 first.

Same goes for body work and paint, I got in a hurry and made a choice to not do what I had wanted in the begining. Now the car is down again getting completly sanded down and repainted. I recommend spend the money on your drivetrain and paint/body work, tires/wheels, the right way at the begining of your build. Things like brake upgrades, audio, interior upgrades can be done later....

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »
Well yes and no. True is you do t need a 700hp engine but it is easy to make while the body is off. But lot of people buys stereo system / NAV,etc that is the last thing I would worry . Build it first, body/paint , upholstery and very last if you need to blow some leftover money personal tags.   

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
Motors are what are in EVs.  Ls4 is an engine.  OK, I'm done nit picking.

solrac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 52
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 06:25:22 AM »
Very true. I was trying to make my ls4 twin turbo but for now I am just going to leave it all stock. Just to get it running for now cus this was a bit of a headache. This is really good advice for newbies lol

madmods

• Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Don't worry about the motor
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:49:39 AM »
Most people who build these cars and give up are usually burnt out on their motor swaps.  I can say the same thing about motor swaps on Pennocks. My advice is to build the car first and get it running. Save the swap for later. Plenty of kits are stalled around the motors or have dropped out of site due to it. It can be financially draining.
Keep dreaming-I'm sweating, glassing, welding and building every night!
Gagliardi Vendetta
Vetter Carrera Gt
Vetter Lp 640