Author Topic: Just in case you didnt know-  (Read 1513 times)

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
Re: Just in case you didnt know-
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
I busted my arse all week on my car, sanded, preped, sanded, primed, sanded, and sanded some more to get ready to go to the paint booth tomorrow.... Got a call just saying that their having problems with the compressor where I was painting tomorrow.

The parts wont be here until friday..... Conflicts in their/mine schedule means I wont be able to paint until next tuesday...
Totally bummed...

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
Eastwood offers a flexable sanding block that has adjustable tension rods to change the rigidity of the block. I'd never do another car without one. I'm sure other companies sell them and you may be able to pick one up at a local NAPA.

tonypaul

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
Sanding is no doubt a big task on replicas. My biggest problem is even though I used a sealer the first time I still had alot of air pockets/bubbles that had popped up over the past 2 years. I have had to spent alot of time repairing those as well as some front bumper damage from hitting a speed bump. Also repairing the rear bumper were I backed into my Hummer.

Another issue I have is on the Diablo Roadster there are so many nooks and crannys that you cant reach with a D/A so I was back to hand sanding alot of areas.
Even though I repainting the car silver its a differant silver so both sides of all the panels need to be prepped, doors gotta come off, door jams have to be done, adding a lot more time. But by far my greatest issues have been not doing the paint correctly the first time. I have no one to blame but myself, I got in a hurry and rushed the prep process.

I find myself doing the same thing this go around also. I get to a point I just get tired of body prep and just want to get it done. I have painted about 8 or 9 cars in the past but this one just seems the most difficult by far. Im not after a show car paint job just something that looks good which Im sure it will come out ok.... If there is a next time (repaint) I will do it in the fall when its not so hot.

lance345

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
I've seen some of your posts so I'm sure you know what you're doing, but for those that don't maybe it should be described the different types of sanding? I don't know how many people do their own prep and paint vs those that just do the fabricating and send it out.

Sanding can be super tedious if you are say- blocking a whole car. If you are just using an orbital it doesn't even take a day.

I prepped and painted for years so I'd be happy to help out members with stuff like this, but I get the feeling that no one really does their prep and paint.

tonypaul

Just in case you didnt know-
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »
Sanding sucks~~~

Just had to get that out there.....
I have been sanding on my Diablo for what seems like forever, its really like 4 days. I shot high build primer on the front hood, rear trunk lid, wing, engine deck lid, rear bumper and the removable roof today. And then.... more sanding on all those again. Spraying the doors and the rest of the car tomorrow with primer and then.. More sanding....

Aug 1st Im finally spraying color and clear and in a few days after that guess what?? I get to sand the whole car again........

Sorry for the  :'( Im just tired of this sanding BS. It didnt seem this bad when I built the car but doing it again 2 1/2 years later is kicking my arse....