Author Topic: $$$$$HIPPING TO CANADA  (Read 3303 times)

aeauto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: $$$$$HIPPING TO CANADA
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
A couple of years ago I was helping a friend with a large boat he had bought in Newfoundland.  We flew up there a couple of times and no problems at the airport.  Then I drove up there in a one ton van loaded with parts and tools.  I went across the border in northern Maine.  I was asked if I had ever been arrested and said no even though I had been.  I didn't know they did a background check and when the immigration agent, a rather nice young lady, came back and asked me about the arrest I explained that, yes, I had been but no charges were filed and so I didn't think it would matter.  She was nice and said I could go on after a brief search of the van.  I drove on up and unloaded the van and returned to Portland Maine to pick up my friend who had flown up.  When we tried to reenter Canada a different agent, again a woman but this one seemed to have a chip on her shoulder,  refused me and since my friend had been arrested a number of years earlier for a DUI he was deemed an undesirable also and refused too.  When we talked to the US customs agents they said the Canadians were very unpredictable about how they treated those trying to enter.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
Grassroots Power has initiated a push to relieve forums from Ohioians who are undermining the "Candy Apple Industry".  The CIA, NSA, FBI, ATF, AFL, CIO, UAW, and Walmart have increased security measures to ban undesirables in the USA and the United Nations is also looking into this problem.   ::bounce ::thumbup ::salute ::usa >:( ::rocker ::headbang ::LAMBO

Down with "the man" and the candy apple industry... one drink at a time!   ::salute

Chris

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Grassroots Power has initiated a push to relieve forums from Ohioians who are undermining the "Candy Apple Industry".  The CIA, NSA, FBI, ATF, AFL, CIO, UAW, and Walmart have increased security measures to ban undesirables in the USA and the United Nations is also looking into this problem.   ::bounce ::thumbup ::salute ::usa >:( ::rocker ::headbang ::LAMBO
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 07:16:56 AM »
1/2 Canadian here (my father) with plans of owning property in the Thousand Islands area someday.   ::usa

It's an awesome Country, but Canada seems to always be going through an identity crisis.  I never understood the allegiance to England that honestly has done very little for Canada economically (but has added to her culture).  There is an obvious attitude towards the US who helps protect her borders, creates jobs inside the country, buys Canadian goods, and adds millions to annual tourism revenues.   ::counfused

Speaking of wonderful Canadian products.. mix one shot of Crown Royal Maple to one bottle of Red Apple Ale.  You end up with a drink that tastes like a caramel apple (just thought I'd share).
  ::beers

Chris
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:09:59 AM by No Bull »

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »
I went to Carlisle in 2011 and had my Mustang searched for 2 hours trying to get back into Canada. I didn't buy anything or have anything hidden. Two days later I went to my USA mailbox in Niagara Falls to get a new windshield that was delivered there from AGP. I was with a friend in his SUV. Again 2 hours looking for something by the Canadians. They tried to say we were importing Lamborghini windshields as a business. LOL.
Hey guys, I'm one of us!

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
well border services are diff then Mail, but since 9/11 they are bit over reacting on both sides and bad people gets by anyway.
 so speaking about shipping , I bought a T shirt on Ebay and after 2 weeks I asked the seller where's it? the seller said it takes 45 days for delivery. to get 2-3 weeks delivery would cost $50. Ha ha are you nuts?? anyway I contacted Ebay and in second Email from them  your money are back in PayPal.  since 45 days passed.

Robert

• Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »
I was helping to supervise some linesgoing into an auto plant in Windsor, some years ago. When work was brought up, I had to go inside and explain that I was only supervising NOT touching the new equipment. The Canadians thoroughly searched my car, and brought the canine units, to search for drugs. After about and hour of BS they let me leave.
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪   

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,  â¤
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 10:32:17 AM »
Business as usual.  Political games are played and the taxpayers end up paying more.  Now as I recall, me being a GM man all of my life, General Motors had a few Assembly Plants located up north.  There didn't seem to be too much of a problem back then having the finished cars shipped down here for American sales.  I have always considered them my friends.  They fought in WW2 along side of us.  Some even came down and fought beside us in the Vietnam War.  Again in Iraq and Afganistan too.  Maybe the problem came about after the NAFTA fiasco.  Oh well, anyway, I like Canadians, their food is terrific, Motels are great, and since they redid 401 fantastic!!! and you can drink the water.   ::bounce  (I would have put a red maple leaf here but)  Jim
Retired

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:14:04 AM »
I think it's more about the trade game between the US and Canada.  I managed a network installation up there and was surprised to find that $100,000 of materials here ended up being almost $300,000 up there due to the politics around using US sourced parts and not sourcing everything there. 

Lord forbid that you try to send US labor into Canada to do the installation and we ended up contracting out the work in Canada and using US labor to manage the job so it was performed to my specifications. 

Never go through a Canadian border check point and tell them that you are going to Canada for "work".  Business meetings are fine but never make it sound like you are traveling there to possibly do a job unless you want to be detained and possibly strip searched, covered in maple syrup, tied to a tree and left for a bear.  ::police  ::toothy

Chris
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:17:05 AM by No Bull »

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »
Thanks again Jim! It was not heavy at all.
I don't understand why it is so much from USA to Canada. I bought some items from China recently and it was free shipping to my door. The items were under $10.00 and came in the same size box as Jim's gift.

eddie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »
yeah, maybe it was heavy package.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
It was marked as a gift (which it was) and the value was $10.  Cha-Ching $30.00 please.  $5.50 got it to Port Huron and $25 got it to Toronto.  Next time I'm going to tape it to a kite and let the wind deliver it. ::thumbup :P ::bounce
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:55:24 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

Transcend

• Liked: 4
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
Yes all you have to do is mark the value LOW, and send the item as a gift.

eddie

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
I never have that problem. I kindly ask the shipper to put value as less then 40USD there are no brokage fee bellow that amount
USPS usually takes 10-14 days delivery. You guys in World have lot cheaper rates then Canada. And I can tell you I do lot of shopping on line from Us and other.
Oh you also must say its a Us or free trade country
Made or they will hit you for custom duty
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:31:00 PM by eddie »