Author Topic: BAD day in the paint booth  (Read 3344 times)

madmods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: BAD day in the paint booth
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
I have had that issue before, or dropped a bead of sweat before on fresh paint. I like the silver, it looks pretty awesome.
Keep dreaming-I'm sweating, glassing, welding and building every night!
Gagliardi Vendetta
Vetter Carrera Gt
Vetter Lp 640

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »
ALWAYS use an in line moisture filter. You can even double them up with a 1/4" nipple. There are $2 at harbor freight. Change them out at the first sign of water. You can usually absorb a drop of water with a paper towel if your real real carefull!

You cant see them in the pics cause they are out of focus, but I have them on every gun I use. I think the reason I was able to get down2 really nice coats of base is because I had those red harbor frieght filters on the gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:47:36 PM »
ALWAYS use an in line moisture filter. You can even double them up with a 1/4" nipple. There are $2 at harbor freight. Change them out at the first sign of water. You can usually absorb a drop of water with a paper towel if your real real carefull!

http://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

tonypaul

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 12:54:23 PM »
I went and picked up the car this morning and took it to my friends shop. After looking over it again the base coat on car body itself isnt that bad. Just a few water spots and little trash in the paint that can be corrected with some wet sanding. It still needs one more full wet base coat and then cleared.

The doors, hoods, roof panel all need completely resanded and resprayed. Its supposed to be 105 degrees today so I doubt I will get much done today. Im guessing it should be next week till Im ready to spray again....

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
Sorry to hear this.

I do really like the new color though. Once this is done, it is going to be very nice.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »
Tony man so sorry to here this :'(... Wish I was closer I'd be there helping you block sand it back down. That is unbelievable, looks like they have a nice setup and good price for the booth tho...

tonypaul

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:18:56 AM »
One more pic of the Diablo in the booth and another of a car that was getting detailed there today-

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:16:31 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully next time will go much better.

tonypaul

BAD day in the paint booth
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »
Today ended up being a total waste for the most part on getting my Diablo painted. There is a new "Do it Yourself" shop rental place that just opened up pretty close to my house. They were running a special for $100 for a all day rental (9am-9pm), so I decided to paint my car there instead at my friends shop. The booth is decent size with back exit exhaust and refriderated air lines, and new filter system.

I was supposed to spray last week but the filter system hadnt been installed and they had me switch till today. I went the night before and dropped off all my body panels and washed out the booth as someone just Plasty-Dipped a Viper that day. I get there at 9am unload the car off the trailer and start prepping all the panels for base. Im spraying by 10am all the backs of the body panels, do a few coats let them flash spray a final coat of base and let them dry.

I flip over all the panels, wipe the down and start spraying.. From here it goes all down hill, my gun starts spitting out water. Its not too bad at first but by the 2nd coat its getting bad. I show the guy and he mentions "uh yeah the little lights on the refrigerator thingy for the air isnt coming on." Apparently it was working the day before when they "tested it" but now its not. He cant get no one to come fix the part so he decides that he is just going to by pass that part and just run lines out of the compressor to filters where I can finish my paint.

After looking over all the panels for a bit, they all need to be resanded 'again' and reshot with base due to the waterspots and other junk in the paint. The junk looked like little black hairs, but turned out to be Plasty-Dip floating around. So after the guy bypasses the refrige part we drain the tank on the compressor and all seems to be good now.

I figure since its working now I will pull the car in and spray 3 coats on it and then shoot the clear, while thats drying I will sand off the panels shot another final coat of base then clear those. I lay down 2 great coats of base, looks perfect, after letting it flash (it doesnt take long its 99 degree in the booth) I go to spray the last wet coat and the water starts spitting out again. Buts real bad this time and I dont catch it first since there is so much metillac in the paint.

So Im screwed now, EVERYTHING has to be resanded and the base resprayed. I wasted 3/4 gallon of paint and reducers, spent all day in a 100 degree paint booth. Kinda feels like I got kicked in the nuts, real hard..... They got someone out tonight to "fix" it but Im not sure Im going back.

They wavied the $100.00 but I would gladly pay it if they would pay for my paint that was lost. So now I dont have enough base coat to finsh the paint job because everything has to be reshot. I gotta order some more base/reducer, resand - and ya know how much I love to sand!!!!! Anyway thanks for letting me beach for awhile, heres some pics-