Author Topic: Paint is DONE.....  (Read 3790 times)

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
Re: Paint is DONE.....
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 08:45:32 PM »
Looks nice with all the angles of that car.   I look forward to seeing it finished up.  I'm sure you're anxious as well.  I'm a painter by trade,  I know its a lot of work to do it right.   I like the Idea of the Plasti-dip on the rims.  On that silver, should look really clean.   
Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
that is good looking color, btw I do paint for a living did many cars in my 35years ,but if the body is nice and just to flatten down and re clear I use  dry sand 800 on sponge DA, some areas by hand . faster and less mess, even on cut and polish, 1000 dry and over with 1500 .
 your car looks very well build.

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »
Photoshop, Tony?!?! You are a photographer, lets see them bad boy skilz  ::K
Im a portrait photographer so my photoshop skills are more limited to that type of work and I mostly use Light Room. But if my car had pimples all over it - I could fix it...... :)

tonypaul

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
So I posted last week about my bad day at the rental spray booth, this time I used my friends spray booth at Barrett Automotive. If Barrett Automotive sounds familiar they were on the show "Texas Car Wars" on Discovery Channel, Beep and Holley are great people. I owe them big time! If you watched the show and saw the episode were they build a drag car (see pic below) its for sale minus the engine if anyone is interested.....

Anyway things went alot better this time, the only problem I really had this time was I used 2 different brands of clear coat. One was a average clear coat and the other was a expensive clear coat. I sprayed two coats of the cheaper clear coat and it went on like butter, nice and smooth. The expensive clear coat sprayed different and caused me some problems on the car body itself, mainly it was thicker and didnt flow like the cheaper clear coat. But once I finished the car body I brought in the doors, hoods, and bumper I figured out how to spray it so it layed out good.

Today I got the body 80% wet sanded and fixxed a couple clear coat runs and some orange peel. I was kinda depressed when I saw how the car body looked after I sprayed the final coat of clear coat. But after working on it today everything is going to look fine. Unless you spray cars professionaly or do it alot your gonna have some problems on cars like the Diablo with all the angles, nooks, and cranies.

All the doors and panels came out great, nice and smooth. So the wet sanding will require alot less work to get it finished. I got a busy weekend planned so I wont get back to car till tuesday next week, should be done with the wet sanding and buffing hopefully by friday. Since Im putting Plasti-Dip on my rear wing Im going to go ahead and try putting the Plasti-Dip along the bottom of the car and see how it looks. I might even Plasti-Dip either just the center of the rims or may even do the entire rims.

If I dont like it I will just pull it off....

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 08:12:25 AM »
Photoshop, Tony?!?! You are a photographer, lets see them bad boy skilz  ::K

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:59:40 AM »
back to drivin it like a madman lol
Siteupp.com

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:11 AM »
I don't think the matte black will work well on a diablo , but plasti dip should be easily reversible

satinta

• Liked: 12
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »
I like the Matte black on anything!!

Texas

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 39
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »
I think your car looks great all silver. That Aventador is sweet looking but I think the lines make that two tone work. I think you have the right idea though, after its all silver and one weekend you could plasti dip the areas for a test drive to see if you like it.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »
Nope! Leave it as before.  Ain't gonna fly. Not on my shift.  No way.  ::thumbup
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
I would do it, it looks pretty cool if you ask me.  Do it with plastic dip that way if you don't like it you can remove it much easier than vinyl.
Pedro

tonypaul

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
I really like how this car looks, I think it it looks completly badarse! But I dont know if it would look good on a Diablo Roadster....

tonypaul

Paint is DONE.....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Sorry no pics tonight, but will post some tomorrow. Over all the paint went pretty good, I leaned against the car during the last coat of clear coat and made a small smuge area. I also got a couple small runs/drips but all can be fixxed during the cut/buff. But more details about all that tomorrow.....

This is an old pic of the car but I wanted to get some opinions on either Plasti-coating or wrapping the lower area outlined in flat black. The new metillac silver I used this time is very bright (and shiney), I was thinking of trying to tone it down some with some flat black on the bottom.
Thoughts/comments???