How To - Tips > Fiberglass & Paint

Paint is DONE.....

(1/3) > >>

MDMurcy2:
Looks nice with all the angles of that car.   I look forward to seeing it finished up.  I'm sure you're anxious as well.  I'm a painter by trade,  I know its a lot of work to do it right.   I like the Idea of the Plasti-dip on the rims.  On that silver, should look really clean.   

eddie:
that is good looking color, btw I do paint for a living did many cars in my 35years ,but if the body is nice and just to flatten down and re clear I use  dry sand 800 on sponge DA, some areas by hand . faster and less mess, even on cut and polish, 1000 dry and over with 1500 .
 your car looks very well build.

tonypaul:

--- Quote from: usmc_butler on August 16, 2013, 08:12:25 AM ---Photoshop, Tony?!?! You are a photographer, lets see them bad boy skilz  ::K

--- End quote ---
Im a portrait photographer so my photoshop skills are more limited to that type of work and I mostly use Light Room. But if my car had pimples all over it - I could fix it...... :)

tonypaul:
So I posted last week about my bad day at the rental spray booth, this time I used my friends spray booth at Barrett Automotive. If Barrett Automotive sounds familiar they were on the show "Texas Car Wars" on Discovery Channel, Beep and Holley are great people. I owe them big time! If you watched the show and saw the episode were they build a drag car (see pic below) its for sale minus the engine if anyone is interested.....

Anyway things went alot better this time, the only problem I really had this time was I used 2 different brands of clear coat. One was a average clear coat and the other was a expensive clear coat. I sprayed two coats of the cheaper clear coat and it went on like butter, nice and smooth. The expensive clear coat sprayed different and caused me some problems on the car body itself, mainly it was thicker and didnt flow like the cheaper clear coat. But once I finished the car body I brought in the doors, hoods, and bumper I figured out how to spray it so it layed out good.

Today I got the body 80% wet sanded and fixxed a couple clear coat runs and some orange peel. I was kinda depressed when I saw how the car body looked after I sprayed the final coat of clear coat. But after working on it today everything is going to look fine. Unless you spray cars professionaly or do it alot your gonna have some problems on cars like the Diablo with all the angles, nooks, and cranies.

All the doors and panels came out great, nice and smooth. So the wet sanding will require alot less work to get it finished. I got a busy weekend planned so I wont get back to car till tuesday next week, should be done with the wet sanding and buffing hopefully by friday. Since Im putting Plasti-Dip on my rear wing Im going to go ahead and try putting the Plasti-Dip along the bottom of the car and see how it looks. I might even Plasti-Dip either just the center of the rims or may even do the entire rims.

If I dont like it I will just pull it off....

usmc_butler:
Photoshop, Tony?!?! You are a photographer, lets see them bad boy skilz  ::K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version