How To - Tips > Doors

Door Hinges - The different types.

(1/4) > >>

kmb58:
I am looking for OE hinges if anyone has a set then decided to use something else... Can't swallow paying ebay stagnant prices...

pkovgolf:
Hi Murcie-Me

Would you be willing to provide details on your perimeter door frames and hinges?
I want to do the same approach but cannot find details

Thank you!

Also, do you know of anywhere that shows the best way to hook up and run the radiator plumbing (hoses/etc) from a dual radiator set-up to the engine?

THANK YOU!!
Peter

01Lambiero:
I'm in favor of the perimeter frame inside the door.  I think that it serves several things: Safety and strength are two that come to mind.  Connecting the hinge to the latch is a must.

I saw these hinges on Ebay.  They are well designed and look nice BUT I don't want them on my car just for the safety concern.  I would think that a 5 mph hit would snap them in half.  You only have two support areas that need to be strong on the sides of our builds, the Hinge area and the Latch area and they both must be connected to provide some margin of safety.

Jim

01Lambiero:
Don't get too ga ga over the OEM hinge angle.  The OEM hinge is built for an OEM door on an OEM car body.  Be prepared to modify your replica body/chassis and your replica door inner to accept the OEM hinge.  Most of us are over this hump as we have had to modify most everything that we have attempted during our builds.  That's where the fun comes in.  If you want a good looking replica, then it maybe the way for you to go if your skill level and budget are up to it. ::thumbup  my $0.02, Jim

Murci-Me:
The car door in that video is done exactly the same as I did mine. Notice how he made the frame in the door go around the perimeter, leaving the center open? I see some people who do some wierd angular thing with diagonal bracing, but if you ever break a window, you will have no way to install a new one with the diagonal bracing in the way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version