How To - Tips > Heating and Cooling

Project Rear Mounted Radiators

<< < (17/18) > >>

Robert:
If you can pull a vacume on the system, it will draw out the air pockets!

jb1:
has anyone thought of using a  corvette self burping  system ?   The  air pockets are issues with the stock fiero  , there was a guy  a while back that  used a " self burping " as  he called it  I believe , from a newer corvette  on his fiero.  I will see if  I can try and find  a link  on fiero.nl    Not sure if it would be  much  help  but  sure would be worth a try..

eddie:
on mine build the rads are mounted vertical and bleeders are plugged. pressured expension tank that goes into water pump tube. heater hose coming out of termostat housing. no termostat installed. but I changed my Japs mini rad fans for Spal 1630cfm/ 20A. it has a 190F sensor to activate fans. I had it run and so far it kicks in 180* and in 2 minutes fans off . tested with laser termo gauge and hoses are 150*. and that is on 3800 S/C gen ll. with the fans that come with the rads  it was hotter and kept on running.

01Lambiero:
There are NO silly or dumb questions when building a replica car.

Radiators that are mounted vertically would need the vent fitting on the top of the radiator tank.  If vents are not installed the air bubbles in the system will accumulate in the radiator and cause overheating.  An accessory water pump (Don't buy a cheap one if needed. CSR makes a good one) could be mounted in the "hot" supply line to the radiator if needed.  I would think that it would be operated along with the radiator fans.  Today's cars run a 180-195º thermostat.  Radiator fans turn on at approx. 235º.  Fuel efficiency and epa requires these temps.  So normally, while on the road, the fan/fans will not even come on as temps hover around the 210º range but may come on with A/C operation.  I like a 180º stat and a 200º fan switch.

01Lambiero

No Bull:
Silly question.. what if I mount my radiators right side up vs. sideways, how does this affect your diagram?  Will the air bleed fittings need to be mounted somewhere else?  Suggestions for helper water pumps and if so where would you put them in this design?  I have a sensor and relay for my fans and I think I bought the 140 degree version.

Great information and thank you for sharing.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version