How To - Tips > Heating and Cooling

Project Rear Mounted Radiators

<< < (18/18)

01Lambiero:
Cooling System 101:
1.   Your hand is a 140º thermometer.  If you can hold on to a hose, it is 140º or cooler.

2.   The temperature at which coolant will boil will increase 3º for each # of release pressure on the radiator cap.  For example: A 15# radiator cap will increase the boiling temperature of the coolant 45º.  Thus the coolant will boil at 257º (212 + 45).

Warning:  Both items #1 & #2 can cause serious burns. (duh)

You are not paranoid if everyone is out to get you!

01Lambiero:
Hi Guys,
I hope that my picture helps all who are using twin rear mounted radiators.  Air will get trapped in the upper part of the radiators whether used as cross-flow or vertical flow design.  A fitting has to be welded/added (threaded fitting to accept a brass elbow)  to the top of each radiator and hoses routed to the expansion tank to bleed off the air.  These lines are pressurized to system psi so clamps are needed (3/8" reinforced hose).  A higher pressure cap is installed on each radiator so that no fluid will leave the system.  The 15# cap will vent excessive pressure fluid to the overflow can.   Special thanks to Jim Dinner for his input. (I hope that I got this straight and makes sense);-)
Jim

No Bull:

--- Quote from: usmc_butler on April 02, 2012, 10:39:13 AM ---Just importing some useful info from Chris for reference!

--- Quote from: No Bull on March 23, 2012, 04:53:54 PM ---If you want to mount your radiators in the rear, it's best to remove the stock corners of the Fiero (if this is what you are using for a donor).  I'm attaching a picture of the area I removed and boxed in on mine.  I used some angle iron and made some frames to hold the Civic radiators that would attach to the insides of the boxed in sections.  I ended up going back in and removing more metal which is shown by the lines drawn into the pictures. 

The kicker is that all this work was in vain on my car since I'm going with a custom rear frame now and I'll build new radiator mounting areas on the new frame.  My advice is that if you are looking at an engine swap, relocating the radiators, frame stretch (if not already done) and axle lengthen, you might want to consider going with a custom rear frame attached to the Fiero tub. 

I found that I've wasted a lot of time and money trying to modify a 30 year old Fiero to do things it was never intended to do versus just investing up front in the custom rear frame which would've been the more logical and cost effective way of doing this.

Just some friendly advice from someone who has been there and doing that...  :)

Chris

--- End quote ---

Thanks again "No Bull" for the good info hope you don't mind that I am sharing this.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for sharing... this is good stuff and you are doing exactly what I expected the members to do and share information.

Thanks for posting and please keep it coming!

Chris

usmc_butler:
Radiators and fans

Just for reference and maybe everyone already knows this but; example a Autozone belt number 610K6 is a 61 inch 6 rib belt (Supercharger on my car) and a 815K6 is a 81.5 inch belt with 6 ribs (all other accessories). So if you know your inches of the belt, it is easy to convert to a part number..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version