Author Topic: Door gas shocks  (Read 14541 times)

AsantiLP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Door gas shocks
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
for murcielago how big does shock need to be when extended?what about when compressed?what lbs to comfortable open and close door?

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
   I just added a picture of a handle to http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/stricklandracinginc/library . I have looked all over it and do not find a part number. This is one of several samples that they sent me before I decided to order these. I was actually looking for an emergency override handle to tuck up in the naca duct for a Countach. This one was the best fit but the other samples were more accurate. The trouble is all of the other samples and the packing list with the part numbers are in Texas and I am in Atlanta.
   I also added a photo of their hinge that I use on doors. This is not authentic but it is a good looking stainless steel piece with stainless pins and bushings, making it absolutely solid with no shimmy. I combine two hinges to give it extra mounting points. I have an OEM deal with Austin so the prices I quote are based on that but I am pretty sure I remember those hinges at about $14 each. Again it is not accurate but using two per side that is $56 for a pair of nice stainless hinges. 

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »
Seeing less results on there, might be similar operating style handles but not close enough to the murcies
assuming you meant oem handles

76mx

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »
O.K. sorry about that. Austin is a distributor for www.southco.com and will order anything in the southco catalog but they do not list in their catalog everything in the Southco catalog. Southco has several that are the same shape and style, and are available in various actions. I have wondered if maybe they are the OEM supplier. If you still need a part number, give me a day.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
Which part # for the handles? Couldn't find it through the whole list :S

+1
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Tallon

• Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 06:46:18 AM »
Check out www.austinhardware.com . They have a chart for calculating the correct shock to open and support a hatch, which is the same geometry as a Lambo door. This company has all kinds of specialty and hard to find pieces, including Murcy door handles for $30.

Which part # for the handles? Couldn't find it through the whole list :S

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:38 AM »
I highly recommend part number 6465K7 from this page:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-shocks/=oru47q
After installing a fresh 6465K7 shock on my door I couldn't pull it down. I used a small allen key to let a little gas out at a time until I could pull it down and the door would go up on it's own.
This shock takes all the guess work out and it also has a cushion at the top of it travel. The shocks from naerc didn't have this cushion. The door would go up and slam hard at the end of it's travel.
The 6465K7 shock travels up and then slowly stops at the top no matter how fast it is rising.
BTW, I used 2 as 'working shocks' on the doors during the build and then recycled them onto the engine deck lid by reducing the gas even more. I used 4 of these on my car.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:16:09 AM by jdinner »

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 03:40:38 AM »
I'd order an OEM door shock. It's already the proper length and has adequate force. If the force turns out to be too much, just add more weight to the door to equalize it.
-Jayso

AsantiLP

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 01:23:15 AM »
I have the same problem...I have InlandExotic body which is pretty much same as CarKitInc and I have robslp640 door frames installed does anyone know which McMaster shock I should buy?What force?What extended length?Compressed length?Stroke length?....McMaster-Carr website is very good and let's you choose each specification i just wish i knew which ones to get...if anyone knows please let me know

76mx

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »
Check out www.austinhardware.com . They have a chart for calculating the correct shock to open and support a hatch, which is the same geometry as a Lambo door. This company has all kinds of specialty and hard to find pieces, including Murcy door handles for $30.

satinta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 12
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »
It's been my observation that shocks work differently at different temperatures. Especially as they get older.
A shock that works well on a warm afternoon may drop the hatch down on your head the next cold morning.
My point is take that into consideration before letting too much out. Too much gas is better then not enough.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:25:48 PM by satinta »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 11:25:14 PM »
I believe that they come with a little gauge and you can let as much gas out as you want however you can't add gas.  The trick is to let a little out at a time and make sure you leave a little extra in the shock to compensate for eventual leakage that will occur over time.

Chris

notnilc20

• Liked: 174
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
Yeah i saw those Mcmaster shocks and was wondering on the shocks that are adjustable there is one that says 200-249 does this mean the max is 249 and the minimum is 200? Or could you let more gas out to get it to say 180lbs?

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »
A great tip that someone added here once was to use a large rubber band in place of your shocks when doing your mock up.  You can easily move the ends around and test the travel and clearance of the shock in relation to the windows when the windows are up and down.

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
This is going to depend on how heavy your doors are.  If you use glass instead of plastic windows (or no windows at all) or heavier interior framing for safety and stability can all make a difference.  Also how you decide to finish the interior (door panels) can have an impact on the weight of the door.  Inexpensive gas door shocks can pop the doors up when unlatched with a door popper when the weight of the door is less than the force exerted by the shock and fulcrum point on the door. 

The issue with using a door shock that is too strong is the risk of door always pushing up on the latch (might lead to a door opening accidental) or more practically, pulling the door back down into the latched position once you are sitting in the car.  Picture yourself standing outside the car and pushing down on the door and how different this is than sitting in a car and trying to pull down on the door.  Ideally the weight of the doors should be balanced with the strength of the shock so they'll pop up nicely by themselves when unlatched but require minimal pull force when trying to pull them closed. 

Some members have suggested using the McMaster-Carr Reducible-Force Gas Springs with Fittings that allow you to let some gas out of the shocks to achieve that perfect balance.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-shocks/=orpmbp

Chris