Author Topic: Diablo front end scraping in driveway  (Read 4751 times)

jw9800

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Diablo front end scraping in driveway
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 12:26:59 AM »
Thanks RT for that. I'm not ready to tackle that just yet but I will certainly look into it when I am ready. I do know the passenger side is way off.

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
Re: Diable front end scraping in driveway
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »
I'm afraid this thread has gotten a little off-track, so to speak, when it has evolved into window drive issues but I'd like to make some recommendations.

When you use the Fiero window mechanism in your doors, you should modify the linkage as shown in these pictures.
The reason is, the window glass for the Lambo has more curve to it than the Fiero glass.  The Fiero window mechanism is not meant to accommodate the extra arc difference between the Fiero and Lamborghini window arcs and can bind during travel.  This can be remedied by putting a hinge in one arm and increasing the “play” at the scissors junction of the linkage.  This will eliminate any binding.  Binding in the tracks is probably the biggest reason the windows drag when in motion.
I have done this to my windows and, with the old Fiero motors and linkage modified as shown in these pictures, take about three seconds to open or close.

Basically you place a hinge in the linkage drive arm so it will flex easily to accommodate the increased arc of travel the window takes AND "loosen" the center pivot of the scissors part of the linkage (by cutting it out and welding up a wider shoulder then welding it back) so it can allow the linkage to spread while moving.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »
You have a diablo? I thought you were looking for a g28 before :S
I wanted a G28 but I couldn't find one for the money I had so I ended up getting a Diablo that was almost finished. The windows work but not always come up all the way. I think they need stronger motors. I found that I can bypass the automatic air lift controls and lift it up even further so it doesn't hit now. Too bad I didn't know that before. I got a few chips at the bottom of the bumper that I'll have to find some way to fix them without a repaint the whole bumper. The air lift system has low-med-high. The high is not high enough to get out of my driveway. I think the high is 55 pounds, I pumped it up to 75 and I'm good to go.

I have a IFG Diablo 60 with the same issue. No rollers in the front and no lift system. My windows also do not go up all the way. The issue I am finding is that most builders were recycling the old Fiero window tracks and motors, that fiero window motor just is not strong enough for the bigger window setup and all the supporting steal and tight window channels. Also you have to think that motor is more then 25 years old. I have been told that 1999 Caviler window motors are stronger and have almost same bolt pattern. I have not replace mine yet but love to collaborate to get this stupid window thing working properly. email me lets see what we can do together

Thanks
CCIE
Yusha_2000@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:35:31 PM by No Bull »

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 12:40:16 PM »
I wanted a G28 but I couldn't find one for the money I had so I ended up getting a Diablo that was almost finished. The windows work but not always come up all the way. I think they need stronger motors. I found that I can bypass the automatic air lift controls and lift it up even further so it doesn't hit now. Too bad I didn't know that before. I got a few chips at the bottom of the bumper that I'll have to find some way to fix them without a repaint the whole bumper. The air lift system has low-med-high. The high is not high enough to get out of my driveway. I think the high is 55 pounds, I pumped it up to 75 and I'm good to go.
If your windows not going up consistently, they are probably binding in the tracks.
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

jw9800

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
Not yet, but soon

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
Nice did you post pics yet?

jw9800

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
You have a diablo? I thought you were looking for a g28 before :S

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
It's a mouse trap.  If you can build a better one, have at it.  Some just weld a plate to the space below the fiberglass.  How high does your front end lift kit raise your car?
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RT

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
This looks really interesting. The only thing I don't like is having to cut into the bottom of the fiberglass to make it fit. I rather have something that just screws or bolts to the bottom.

jw9800 everything about building one of these is custom cut and fit.  Nothing is just "bolt-on".
There is a "method to the madness" on how and where the rollers are located.

Three rollers:  The front of the bumper is curved.  If you just put two rollers at the ends of the bumper, the center (being curved) would contact the pavement before the rollers get there.  The center roller will prevent that.  It might be better with five rollers but I drew the line at three and careful driving.

Size of the rollers:  Rollers too small will not handle the job.  Rollers too big will be way too obvious and hard to mount.

Roller mounts:  The rollers are placed half way under the bumper because that is what part of the roller will be used and that allows you to use a large roller without too much showing.  The top of the roller just returns to share it's turn.  You place the roller as far forward as you can so they will contact the pavement before the bumper.  That means you trim the underside of the fiberglass bumper to get them into position.  Nobody sees the bottom of the bumper.  Not too many people will see the rollers.

You can't be afraid to cut and trim to make your build the way you want it to be.  The rollers will prevent unsightly damage.  That is worth the small effort.

Other people have done different things to deal with the bumper scraping.  Maybe you would prefer another way.

RT

Also, these rollers have to support the weight of the front of your car.  I would not rely on the fiberglass bumper for that so don't just bolt something onto the bumper.  Make a steel support structure for whatever method you use.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:38:50 PM by RT »

jw9800

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »
This looks really interesting. The only thing I don't like is having to cut into the bottom of the fiberglass to make it fit. I rather have something that just screws or bolts to the bottom.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 12:45:53 AM »
Boat trailer rollers will also work and might be a little softer than the mower deck rollers.  Either one will do the job over close encounters most of the time.  I don't know who came up with the idea first, maybe Dale Van Blokland but a Class A idea that is cheap and works nicely.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RT

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:28:05 PM »
I used rollers from a lawn mower deck.  Hard rubber.  I made simple steel mounts with strong bracing to frame.

RT

jw9800

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
Thats really cool. What does something like that run ans how hard is it to install?

RT

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »
I build supports for three rollers across the front, under the bumper.  They will lift and roll over paving.

RT