Author Topic: Electric Steering Box  (Read 1033 times)

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
Re: Electric Steering Box
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
I started a thread in Electrical about this but didn't find much help. I have that controller already and yes you just need the column with the servo drive and computer. There isn't a hydraulic pump in this system or any type of pressurized fluid. The servo is set up to run a manual rack like the fiero came with.

Only issue is the assist is adjusted manually with the knob provided in the eBay kit. Having the assist vary with the vehicle speed would be perfect but I'm not sure how to build the circuit to do that.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Electric Steering Box
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »
USMC_Butler shared this a while back and I'm wondering if anyone has tried one yet and if they have,  do they have any feedback on them? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171027023129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The idea seems simple enough however I have concerns about having limited road feel (all power) and if the steering assist is electric servo only from the donor steering column or if there is additional parts need to make this work (electric steering pump and/or special rack)?  The auction states that these two parts are basically all that's needed but I find it hard to believe that a servo on the column is enough.  Can it really be that simple?

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:54:50 PM by No Bull »