Author Topic: Porsche 914 as a donor  (Read 1758 times)

rotarycraig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 13
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Porsche 914 as a donor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
Chris.

I appreciate your input. I agree it is an older car and as I gained more info the suspension on the 914 is far worse then that of the fiero. Again. Just some researching and seeing if something else would work. :)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Porsche 914 as a donor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
Consider this path:

Take a really 88 Fiero GT from down South (rust free is important given the age of these cars) and cut it in half behind the rear firewall.  Find the front wheel drive car of your choice that has been hit in the rear end.  Cut that car in half and use the engine, frame, mounts, transmission, wiring harness, ECU etc and move it to the rear of the Fiero so it's pushing the car from the rear instead of pulling the car from the front.  Set the two halves to the desired wheelbase and fabricate the remaining frame that ties them together.

Personally I would not use a donor from the 70's just because of the age and availability of the parts and all of the things you'd want to upgrade because of newer technology like steering.  Remember also that the 914 really was a glorified VW and was intended to be a low cost entry into the sports car market.  The 914 gained some respect with the 914/6 (six cylinder version) later on but that was only due to putting a lot of HP into a lightweight body frame package with a short wheelbase.

Just my personal opinion.   ::beers

Chris

rotarycraig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 13
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Porsche 914 as a donor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
So I have been kicking around the idea on how to use a rotary engine in my build. How hard it would be to make a custom sub frame for a fiero, cost of a CW or NAERC chassis ect ect. A Porsche g50 tranny is like 6k used. I can get the tranny for a 914 for around 900 rebuilt!!!!! It is a common swap for sand rails and even in the 914!!!

So with that said, the Fiero stock wheel base is 93.4 inches. The wheel base for the Porsche is 96.5!!!! 3 inches less for a stretch. LAmbo Murci is 104.9.

Front wheel track for lambo  64.26 in For Porsche is 52.4
Rear Wheel Track For Lambo 66.61 in For 914 is 54.45

I cant find that info for the Fiero ATM, but a bit more reaearch and I might have a viable donor for my build without having to go completely custom chassis. Anyone have thoughts on this ? I know its an even older car then fiero, but man, ease of swap for my 13b turbo TII engine!!!!