Author Topic: Buidling Body Panels Via a Custom Buck / Plug Pattern  (Read 6023 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Buidling Body Panels Via a Custom Buck / Plug Pattern
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
I know it is a lot of work but I am intrigued at the idea of building a body this way. There are currently lots of options for plans. I also know there are a few members who have experience in this area. It would be great to get some detailed information and tips on the process. I'd actually love a full tutorial with pics. I am interested in every step of the process:

- 3D modeling in computer (best software to use, best place to get accurate models, alternatives like physical/practical models)
 - Slicing up model (what software are people using?, optimum spacing)
 - Transferring slices to formers / profiles (what material is best to use [MDF?], optimum thickness, how to keep good size and geometry)
 - Building foam plug (what kind of foam to use [low density polyurethane foam?], anything else important)
 - Completing plug (what material to use [body filler?, resin?], how to keep body symmetrical, should glass/window fitment be checked at this stage?)
 - Finishing - sanding / polishing (what is the process?, what grit paper?, wet or dry?, should it be polished like paint?, anything else?)
 - Preparing for molds (should the panels be separated at this stage?, any other tips)

I'm sure I am overlooking something in the process. I'd love to learn more about this and I'm sure others would as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:33:11 PM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?