Author Topic: Strange fit on door windows???  (Read 4810 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Strange fit on door windows???
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
dwalfford,  Here is a couple of pics from kc from Rod's build and Switta's build.  They show that your glass needs to be rotated cc.  The front channel runs all the way to the bottom of the door and the rear channel is moved rearward.  Hope this helps.  You really should have your doors mounted on the body before you install your windows and tracks.  The removeable top dictates the position and alignment of the glass also. 
Jim
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:10:57 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

dwafford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Jim,

Yes, it's AGP.  The numbers on the packing list are 055.1.2259 (driver) and 055.1.2260 (passenger).  The only number I see on the glass itself, under the AGP logo, is 72.

dwafford

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
The glass is AGP roadster.  The chassis is NAERC.  I don't know whose body kit it is.  I bought it from a guy in South Carolina about 10 years ago, who had bought it from someone in that part of the country who had been building body kits.  I want to say RKS (?), but I really don't recall.  He had a couple of kit cars in his shop that he was working on, and a chassis that he said was his design.  I can tell you that I paid him for the body kit, plus another $2,700 for additional parts, including window regulators and motors, weatherstripping, door hinges and latches, and a bunch of other parts - which he never shipped to me.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
Are you positive that the glass is for a Roadster?  Is it AGP glass?  What is the number on the door glass?  Thanks, Jim.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »
who's glass is it ? ( body  too) that's not NEARC gen ll

eddie

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
Dan trust me I only work on my car on Sundays, but realy big help from Jim and RT.
 I would be still nowhere
 http://s849.photobucket.com/user/guywithlambo/media/roadster%20build/itworks_zpsbfc2654d.mp4.html?sort=6&o=0

dwafford

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
Digibeam, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll look at all of this.  I hate to move the window any further forward, however - if you look closely at a couple of the pics, you'll see why I pushed it back an inch or so from where I originally had it (you can tell because in the pics my frame extends an inch or so behind the A pillar) - where it is positioned now, the lower front corner of the window will hit the wheel well when it comes down only 9 inches or so.  Any further forward and the window will hardly move down any at all.  And Eddie, your point is good about getting the door mounted to check the glass against roof and body A pillar.  I've been working on fabricating hinges (discovered mine can hardly have any offset like the factory hinges), so I'll finish those and get the door mounted before going much further with positioning the window.  Thanks for the great advice, guys.

eddie

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »
I had a big problems with my doors (Naerc), thank to Jim, RT and KEN I got done after whole year .
 anyway first of you need to hinge the door and latch it , then you'll need to align the A post with door A post.rear of the glass is higher. it's good to use roof as well to match all. I'm using Ford Tbird window tracks that fits the glass well.
 mp me if you need any pictures. but I'm off to Florida for two weeks so after the 15th.
 you can see how bad was the fitment of glass and A post pillar
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:45:21 PM by eddie »

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 08:23:15 PM »
okay  a few things i am seeing...
i will go out on a limb here because i am not all up on Diablo, but
first is see you have the bottom of the door somewhat level across... i believe the door does sit more at an angle.. not straight across
second, the rear of the window could move forward still as that tab area seems a bit shorter than OEM size.
third the window i dont believe moves perpendicular to the bottom of the door which means that your frame does look correct and the window probably sits at a mild angle.
and you will need to add to that rear most area that also would hide the fact that the window climbs in an angled fashion compared to the rest of the door.

dwafford

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
Here are pics with the glass laid in place.  It wouldn't be that big a deal to cut and fill fiberglass as necessary to bring the mirror area flush with the window channel, but it would wind up looking a little different than factory to a close observer - and I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something before I take that route. 

Digibeam

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
please,  and without dropping the glass... maybe just lay everything down on its side...

Digibeam

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:13 PM »
any chance of seeing the glass in that area to get a visual of the fit?

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
If you aligned the window tracks with the glass and not the doors, this is probably where you are having that issues.  The AGP glass is not Diablo OEM correct and from what I've been told, this glass was made for the D&R replicas years ago and the glass is specific for that body.  To add to this, the AGP glass that I have is labeled as Diablo roadster glass which may have a different rake and windshield pillar height than a coupe does and you might be experiencing some of this as well.

Chris

dwafford

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
I THINK the back end is okay - photos I've seen of real Diablos show the roadster glass standing up a little higher than that painted triangular piece above the door handle.  It's the front edge that's really got me puzzled - seems that it should line up with the rear edge of the triangular piece where the mirror will mount - which is what it seems to do in pics I've seen.  But if I tip the glass to align along that front edge, then the slanted portion of the glass along the A pillar is far out of alignment, and the rear corner drops well below the frame on the rear.  I have AGP roadster windows, by the way.

Digibeam

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
if i am understanding the issue, the glass is sitting too high at the rear when the front is in its proper place? 
im not up on my Diablo parts, but doesnt the top of the glass actually slant down towards the rear on the roadsters?