Author Topic: Rover HVAC controller  (Read 9802 times)

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: Rover HVAC controller
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 06:22:24 PM »
Another idea is to just grab EVERYTHING from a Rover in a wrecking yard and use all the Rover stuff instead of trying to adapt the Rover controller to another vehicle's components/actuators.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

CCIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »
Digi.... I was not suggesting anything..... I was contributing and what my approach was. I think you just suggest that "everyone is wasting there time".... WOW MAN is that Canadian cold getting to ya these days? ;)...... Any way..... as I said there are many approach to the AC controller and I found the most efficient was going what was already available rather then reinventing the wheel (at least for me).

Thank You Chris......... and I totally agree with you about different approach. I would also love to see different method to adapt the AC controller.

All....Please continue to do the development and if I can assist please let me know, I spent many hours trying to figure it out. The Rover controller is pretty cool..... I came close by using the stamp controller, I also played with the rasbarry to control it. I was pretty close and might finish it one day but for now the most efficient way was using Riceburner....

Just my humble opinion

CCIE
so, in other words you are suggesting we are all wasting our time and we should just buy Riceburners unit?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:25:28 PM by CCIE »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
so, in other words you are suggesting we are all wasting our time and we should just buy Riceburners unit?

Maybe not wasting your time but just figuring out another way to solve the controller gap.  After seeing a Vintage Air setup, I'm leaning in that direction and Riceburner makes this simpler for guys like me (electronically challenged) with his Vintage Air controller and instructions.  I would love to get one of these ordered if he would reply to my emails.   ::counfused

Time, money, patience, skill and expectations are all things that differ between us and this is why each of us may have a different solution for solving the same problem.  Personally I welcome all ideas and this allows me to select someone else's way or figure it out on my own.   ::thumbup

It's all good guys

Chris

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »

CCIE

• Liked: 96
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 08:31:53 PM »
So let me contribute a bit......

I bought several of the Rover units to figure it out myself for my Diablo 60. I was able to interface and do several things and I am sure there are many different ways to approach this unit. I eventually asked Riceburner for assistance and bought his Rover controller board as well as his OEM copy AC controller unit. The unit can be adopted in several different approach but I figure the convenience is more important hence Riceburner's setup was the best approach. His setup is detailed and all laid out. To simplify attached are few pic of the Rover setup with Riceburner's controller setup and his OEM copy setup, If you need more information just ask

CCIE

CCIE

Digibeam

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
Here is the inside circuit board of my OEM unit.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
Nice work sir. Thanks for sharing your progress.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »
String once again this is why you are my hero  :notworthy

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 05:59:57 AM »
This is the stage I have got to so far , bearing in mind there are 15 fault codes and you have to progress through each in turn , and solve any errors in the wiring diagram.
I am working towards a complete component requirement list , which will then remove the fault codes and allow me to complete the four diagnostic stages that are built in.
I am using a genuine hvac unit and is wired in a completely different way , utilising four actuator motors ( with no feedback) and two coolant flow valves , so I was recently at the stage where I was stuck at fault code EC which is listed as IRR sensor ( which I have) , so confused and then re-read the rover codes to discover this one code is swapped with EE , ::counfused ,

So there is good chance I will end up replacing the actuators on the heater unit , or adding a couple of potentiometers to a couple of the motors to give the two required feedbacks.

'Dwafford' , found it yet ? ,  ::scratch
Oooh , Red leather.

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
It's probably harder to figure out but the Zonda has the same unit.

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »
Hi ,  ::wave

I think it would be reasonably easy to suss out the other pins once you found the correct pin for power in, just by seeing which pin went hot when you pressed a given button.  But I'm worried about trying to find that power pin, that if I start indiscriminately putting 12V on the wrong pin, I might burn out something and ruin the whole part.  I found wiring diagrams for the AC on a Rover 45, but for an older model, where the switches were configured differently, so it doesn't really reveal anything.  Still searching, but haven't found the right diagram yet.

'Reasonably easy' I think is relative ... ;) , but I will start you off with the fact that from what info you say you have - does indeed have this unit on it. It was only fitted to Rover 45/ MG ZS models from 2005 .It is a very versatile unit and will identify the system it is operating when powered up.

More...
Oooh , Red leather.

Digibeam

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
the other issue is that this controller also has a few hand shake pins which means it is looking for specific pins to have connections or feed back in order for the unit to validate it is plugged into the correct device.

i have been pinning out the OEM unit and converting it to a Boxster HVAC unit and in the process managed to damage the processor, so now i am rewiring the LCD module to the original Porsche display so that the buttons and LCD correspond.
i had looked and asked for diagrams years ago and had zero assistance, only one person that i know has more insight and that would be riceburner and i dont believe he is sharing schematics that i am aware of.

dwafford

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »
 :'(  I would've put a logo of banging your head on the wall, but I don't see it!  I've bought two sets of manuals for the Rover 45 (which I'm told this controller came from), one dated 2003 and one dated 2005.  Both show wiring for the same controller, which is NOT the one I have.  When I search for the controller on ebay, I get listings for both types - the one shown in the manual wiring diagrams and photos, and the one I have.  But I can't find wiring diagrams for the one I have.  Does anyone have wiring diagrams for the 2006 Murci?  Since it uses the same controller, I'm wondering if I couldn't get to the same place using those diagrams.  Alternately, does anyone know a safe way for testing the pins to determine what goes where?  I think that if I could find the power and ground pins and put power on the unit, I could then push the buttons and see which pins were energized.  But I'm afraid that if I go slapping 12 volts on pins at random, I may fry something.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »
Looks like String already has this figured out for all of us. Nice! It would be great to see details.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?