Author Topic: NEED HELP "RE-FINDING" THESE SEATS  (Read 6794 times)

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
Re: NEED HELP "RE-FINDING" THESE SEATS
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 01:00:59 PM »
Really nice job RT
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Apologies for the dark photo's , but here are a few shots, of a semi-naked seat ( semi-naked on a seat for a different day :-*) . These are to show the underside and rear with the trim panels removed and some of the seat frame.
Oooh , Red leather.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »
I know Cliff Miller makes a replica seat frame that he says are OEM spec. He sent me images of OEM vs. his frame. Hopefully, he doesn't mind me sharing this pic here. Just posting this as an option to String tearing his apart. :o
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:17:02 AM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 02:11:19 AM »
@ String 
and in a response to your seat question,  if you have a frame to get specs from i am more than happy to fabricate a seat(s) from them,  i think the trickiest part would actually be the headrest "horns"  ( its all about the bull... not sure if anyone ever wondered why they make the seat headrests like that, but its the "bull horns")  and they are offset such that when viewing the car from the front through the windscreen the seats look symmetrical even though they are pitched off center.
i believe someone once made raw seats based on OEM seats but who knows where that idea went?
and the rake i believe like most recaros have cables to control remote areas from convenient knob positions...
or not... but that would be my understanding based on experience...  ;)

Digibeam

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
Just as another note, i measured my Gallardo seats in the car and from my floor to the top of the back head rest measures 35"  not sure if that is of any interest but just thought i would throw that out there...:)

String

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »
Ok then , that 37" was at the centreline - maybe that's why the headrests are offset towards the middle ... :)
Assuming a seat at a height of 35" would fit in a G28 , and everyone has seen a bare seat frame .... ( if not I will post pics) , what mileage is there in me disassembling a seat within practicable limits and drawing up a frame ?. In so much as the seat runners & lever , plastic knobs , lumbar adjuster  are all available - the rear trim is a piece of hardboard ! , the bill of materials for a seat frame would not be large , just getting steel cut and bent.
The only unusual item is the offset rake adjuster which I cannot figure out how it operates 6" above the pivot point.

The other option if a sport seat is acceptable , is to buy a shell and aperture trims , ( mould copies ) and add runners ..
Link - http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchResult.asp?find=+&S=LP640SEATF+
I know it looks like an ordinary sports seat - but the narrow width is everything and impossible to find elsewhere . This was the option I was considering.
Oooh , Red leather.

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
While we are discussing seating…
I had to move my seats many times to get the best clearance for me as I sit in driving position.
First, I am using the fiberglass shell seats that were made by D&R for my Diablo.  They are 19" wide but could have been a little wider for comfort and still fit.  They press against the side of your legs a little because of the padding required but not too bad.
I put my seats on adjustable rails from a Jeep CJ.  I used just the slide rails that are about an inch tall.  I notched the bottom of the seat shells so the seat is about on the floor at the rear.  I had to tilt the seats to the rear to be comfortable and allow my head to clear the headliner.  The tilt allowed enough space to place woofer speakers behind them in a box shaped to fit.  I also made the seats move front to back with power.  All that work to make them power was pretty much worthless because there isn't much room inside anyway but I did it.
When you position the seats, as mentioned before, angle the seats to parallel the side of the console.  That way your feet will be pointing to the pedals and away from the front tire bulge.  I also raised the outside seat mount 1/2" over the inside mount to tilt the seat slightly so you will get better head clearance with the trim over the window and door.  You will find that you lean to the center of the car anyway to feel right while driving. Did I mention these cars are TIGHT for clearance?
Anyone building on a Fiero should realize the seating position places you back farther than a real Lambo.  The dash was made to fit back from the windshield to create a realistic proportion to the interior.  The reason is the Lambo put your feet farther forward, between the tires.  The seat was positioned accordingly.  That also gave Lamborghini more room for taller drivers to move the seat to the rear.  Fiero builders don't have many options with that.  You are seated back from the door glass and will lean forward to see past the door post.
So, recline the seat.  Angle the seat to the console. Tilt the seat inward to gain side headroom.  Do everything you can to lower the seat mount.
Don't forget the headliner position! I recommend highly you try to get the headliner as close as you can to the inside of the roof.  I initially had 2" between the two but found out that was never going to work.  I had to reconfigure the roof steel and flex the fiberglass headliner panel to arch upward over my head.  I gained an additional 1 1/2" but that required me to modify the covers over the door and rear window to match the new upward curve.  It was worth the effort.

Here is my seat video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IywzyPV0dl0

RT
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:40:23 AM by No Bull »
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

String

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 05:19:36 AM »
To build on RT's calculations , the Murcielago does have the extra 30mm (1 3/16") height over the Diablo  but both this and the Diablo have to deduct the 20mm frame crossmember thickness and the 8mm spacer the seat runners sit on , so the total internal floor to roof height comes to a little over 37".

A Murcielago seat measures 19 3/4" wide , 24 1/2" deep and 37" high , this is with the seat back bolt upright and the seat on a flat surface, when reclined at an angle you can actually sit in it ! , it is  effectively 35" high and also automatically inclined rearward by the higher front crossmember in the floor.
The seat runners are 13 1/2" apart and angled 5 degrees inward .
Oooh , Red leather.

Digibeam

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
@Tallon,
i cut my cross members out and put a solid floor in from below then reframed around the seat mounts to mount the oem gallardo seats, they are also pitched inwards to the front center(crooked) to match the console  plus its the only way to make everything work with the steering console which is also oem and has a natural angle to the driver.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 08:40:32 PM »
I have a cw chassis, didn't realize two inches were wasted is there a way to fix that issue?

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »
Yes, height is still an issue. Unfortunately RT described it dead on when he arrived at that 37" interior height, and that is assuming it is not a Chassisworks frame that wastes another two inches below the seat. It also does not take into account the seat tracks which add another inch. I use the tracks that come with the seat to mount the pedal assembly to. That way I gain headroom and the seats are direct to the floor. You just reach up under the dash and grab the adjuster levers to move the pedals forward or back. In order to do this you must use forward mount master cylinders. Advantage is that they are now high enough so that your pedals can go up above the floor enough that they fit the ball of your foot. Slight downside is that the dash pod needs to be removable or at least accessable in order to put fluid in cylinders. Flex brake lines and throttle cable just moves with pedals.     

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:30 PM »
I see, I thought for sure you saw it. I was also interested in Sparco's chrono which is similar to the murcie SV's seat but it has the same oversized dimensions as the seats earlier discussed :(
They are the company that made the actual seat but I am guessing an oem lambo has more room for it
I'm building on a custom chassis but I think height is still a big issue

tonypaul's seat looks pretty good for that style
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:37:29 PM by Tallon »

76mx

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
O.K., Sir, I am with you now. When I looked at the link originally posted on this thread, I saw the seats that were still for sale that looked similar to the Scat seat, not finding the discontinued one with the Lambo look. Matrix has the Typex Roadster Series seat that is close to that but not accurate. It has the same problem though. Besides height and width problems, seat centerline dimensions are also an issue. A center console is about 9" wide and not much you can do about that with a Fiero. With 22' wide seats that puts the centerline of the drivers head to the centerline of the passengers head at an absolute minimum dimension of 31". On most Lambo models this is closer to 28". If you measure across the roof that puts your head into the drip rail or even worse into the door window. The narrower the seat, the less you have to cock your neck sideways to sit in the car. There is another solution but I am not saying that it is a good one. Sparco in Irvine, Ca. supplies seats to Lambo as well as Bugatti, AMG, and others. They have about a dozen standard frames and then they stitch them custom to the car. The frame they use here is about 19" wide. You can purchase from them the standard seat and frame and then cover it to look authentic. Problem is that is going to start at $1,200 so you are going to have at least $2,400 invested before they go to the upholstery shop.   

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
I have these seats: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Bk-White-Stitch-Racing-Seats-JDM-RECARO-SPARCO-STYLE-/271401685199?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f30cd10cf&vxp=mtr

I had to mount them directy to the floor without the rails for them to fit. I had to also do some work to the fireo floor to get them to sit flat. These types of seat are almost little big for my fiero based Diablo, Im 5"10" and I fit in them good but I would like some seats that are a little deeper.

These/this style would be perfect: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Invictus-Race-Seat-Black-with-white-stitch-white-back-/161064356311?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item25802f09d7&vxp=mtr

76mx

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »
Satac44,
   The seats do not come in different sizes, all of the Matrix seats are 22 inches wide (one inch wider than the Scat and too wide for some of these cars). It is the mounting hardware that determines the model of fitment. Depending on that mounting hardware, the Matrix is also at least an inch and sometimes several inches taller than the Scat (again too tall for some of these cars).