Author Topic: Alright cloners I need some advice~  (Read 5339 times)

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
Re: Alright cloners I need some advice~
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
Tony, your car always looks so good. I like the silver plastidip. It looks matte or satin from the pics. Nice! I prefer the black mirrors but I think the rockers look great both ways. If the rockers are silver, it really makes the side vents pop which is cool, when they are black, it makes the car look super sleek (even more so).

I wouldn't use those Nissan mirrors if I could avoid it.

Thanks for the input! The pics really dont do a good job of showing what the car really looks like. I personally really like the flat/semi flat look on some cars and so far I really like how this looks like. I think since my back bumper and rear wing is already black Im going to go ahead and finish out the lower part of the car in black.

I hear you on the F430 "style" mirrors... But Im going to go ahead and order them and see what they look like after I spray them matte black. I cant express how much I hate these mirrors I have now. I have almost knocked them off atleast 5 or 6 times already. They dont have any power adjustment in them so the mirrors are just kinda sitting in there. They are pretty useless as far as function goes.

The F430 "style" mirrors (I laugh everytime I type that) are less than $50.00, if they compley suck I will just try to fix the ones I got now sell the F430 "style" mirrors (lol) to ricer kid to put on his Honda Civic....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:17:08 PM by tonypaul »

tonypaul

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
First off all I love the plasti dip. I would like to do something similar to mine, sadly it is very hard to get gallons of it shipped to the peoples republic of California.. I like it with the black on the bottom so I would do that again.

How did you like the finish once it dried, did it come out pretty smooth?  Some of the plasti dip cars that I have seen did not have that great of a finish but they also admitted that they just sprayed it with a regular house airless sprayer.  One I saw had been painted with the gun they sell specifically for plasti dip and it looked awesome, it convinced me to do it someday.

I have the newest DYC spray station gun and it lays it out very very nice. I used 2 gallons of black for my base and the black came out like regular base coat- super smooth. Once I sprayed the alumunim mixed with pearlizer & dry candy pearl it came out with a little more texture to it but still very smooth.

I do have a couple drip spots to deal with, that was completely my fault. Im used to spraying clear coat/base coat and you can pump the gun a few times for feathering. This gun if you let up on the trigger and press back down during a pass it will sometimes cause a drip if your shooting downward. Although sometimes the drip spots can be fixed by putting a dab of thinner on your finger and tapping on the spot. Atleast thats what I have been told, I havnt tried it yet Im going let the dip cure ofr another day before tryin it.

I read that the guys at DYC right now are putting their dip into smaller containers that will be allowed to ship to Cali. It might be something to look into. But over all Im real happy with how the plasti-dip came out....

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
Tony, your car always looks so good. I like the silver plastidip. It looks matte or satin from the pics. Nice! I prefer the black mirrors but I think the rockers look great both ways. If the rockers are silver, it really makes the side vents pop which is cool, when they are black, it makes the car look super sleek (even more so).

I wouldn't use those Nissan mirrors if I could avoid it.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
First off all I love the plasti dip. I would like to do something similar to mine, sadly it is very hard to get gallons of it shipped to the peoples republic of California.. I like it with the black on the bottom so I would do that again.

How did you like the finish once it dried, did it come out pretty smooth?  Some of the plasti dip cars that I have seen did not have that great of a finish but they also admitted that they just sprayed it with a regular house airless sprayer.  One I saw had been painted with the gun they sell specifically for plasti dip and it looked awesome, it convinced me to do it someday.
Pedro

tonypaul

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »
Yeah!!, yeah!!  Wrap em in candy apple GREEN.  I like green,,,,,GREEN FOR SURE.  Are you nuts?  Bump your head?  What happened with the cool silver paint job?  Should of left it like it was...oem wheels...great looking car, it was.  My $0.02

I had a one gallon metal can of Chem-Dip carburetor/parts cleaner sitting on my shelf in my garage for about 3 years. It rusted thru and leaked down and some landed on the car destroying some of the paint. It wasnt real bad but by the the time I tried buffing it out the bad spots in the paint was not looking real good in some areas. Plus Im just tired of base coat/clear coat I wanted something different. The wrap looked really cool but it just wouldnt work out like I wanted.

The Plasti-Dip isnt permanent just for awhile. I want to enjoy the car this summer and not do another paint job that takes up half my summer. This plasti- dip is so cheap and they have so many options I might even try a couple different colors before I go back to regular paint. I can do a complete plasti-dip job in about 7 hours vs a regular paint job takes me forever....

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
Yeah!!, yeah!!  Wrap em in candy apple GREEN.  I like green,,,,,GREEN FOR SURE.  Are you nuts?  Bump your head?  What happened with the cool silver paint job?  Should of left it like it was...oem wheels...great looking car, it was.  My $0.02
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

tonypaul

Alright cloners I need some advice~
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »
So I tried to do a wrap on my Diablo Roadster with some brushed aluminum wrap. Everything looked/went great until the rear quarters... There is just no way to make that wrap look good on my car, just too many curves, bends, angles,ect.... So I decided I was going to do a full Plasti-Dip on the car. I went with the Aluminum Metallic mixed with some Pearlizer and threw in 50 grams of Ballon White Candy Pearl.

My plans are to paint the bottom of rockers, lower front bumper, entire rear bumper and the mirrors again with the matte black Plasti-Dip again. I sprayed the car yesterday in the booth and I have to let the dip cure for a couple days before I can tape over it to do the matte black. But some my friends are telling me to leave the solid aluminum....

What do you think???? One problem I have is that I left the rear bumper in matte black and dont have any more of the Aluminum dip mix left to spray the bumper matte black.... No a big deal I can order some more....

Secondly.... When I was backing out of the booth, like a complete dumb-arse I hit the drivers side mirror housing and almost ripped it off. I was going to spray these matte black anyway but I have always hated these mirrors. They came to me as one piece and it would be too much trouble to make them so that they folded in, would these look like a$$ if I went with these? ; http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-F430-STYLE-SIDE-POWER-MIRRORS-LED-BLUE-ARROW-SIGNAL-FOR-02-06-NISSAN-ALTIMA-/301084883382?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461a0eb9b6&vxp=mtr

Let me know your advice please!!! The bottom pic is for reference on how the car looked with the bottom part done in black~
The pics kinda suck,
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:40:56 PM by tonypaul »