Author Topic: Kit Car "Nationals"  (Read 890 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Kit Car "Nationals"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:28:38 AM »
   AdrianBurton just asked me if I would have a booth at Carlisle this year and I told him that I was tired of beating that dead horse. That is probably a contraversial statement but let me explain. After years of spectating and vending at Knotts, Pomona, and Carlisle, I have developed three simple rules for "National" events. First, if the number of Lambo replicas multiplied by ten is still less than the number of dollars for an admission ticket, I am not interested. Second, If the number of cars multiplied by 500 is still less than the number of miles that I have to drive to see them, I am not interested. Third, if I can go to the local vacant corner gas station, set up shop next to the guy in the old van selling velvet paintings of Jesus, Elvis, and dogs playing poker, and put myself in front of way more qualified buyers than a "National" event, I am not interested.
   I realize that the Pomona club works hard to put on a good show and it is, but it is hardly a "National" event, attracting a "National" audience. I read with amusement a thread that attempted to get the L.A. area market to participate. If that does not happen, what about the rest of the nation? It is a great local show and I commend them for their work, but it is what it is, a great two hour local show. It is not quite worth the time and expense for a vendor to travel 1,500 miles to set up.
   I am not nearly as tolerant with Carlisle. I believe the only reason that show exists is to make Carlisle Car Shows money, starting with cramming a two hour show into three days, and I am just tired of buying into the hype. I see absolutely no reason to continue with Carlisle in order to see two or maybe three cars.
   This year I will be a vendor at the NSRA Street Nationals. If anyone else wants to associate with tens of thousands of like minded enthusiasts, and see a manufacturers midway that rivals PRI, NSRA welcomes the replica market.