Author Topic: New guy with a 6 oh.  (Read 3526 times)

bluefiero88

• Paul G / former founding member of D&R replicar.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 15
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Hi fellow car fabricators
Re: New guy with a 6 oh.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »
Yup thats the same body i have. Diabolic mess. I actually cut off the back of the car body just below the tail lights and spliced in a new molded IFG rear and added a new complete IFG bumper. I have molds for both pieces. That molded in bumper bothered me so much and it made the car look cheep. All the wow factor of this car in the back is in that big bumper and vents. Keeping your car cool by using 2 radiators in the rear and utilizing the side scoops is the only way to go. It may be more work but well worth it. You can easily cut the front end off and glass reattachment clips to both pieces. The front is supposed to be 2 pieces and makes for the right look. and trust me you will be under the front end a lot so being able to pull that front end off is invaluable. :LL:
Paul G

Thumper

• Liked: 31
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
  I'll agree, these doors are not the most user friendly, but that's ok for me.  Just makes me a better fabricator.  8) Yep, this is one from Boulder City at Fiberglass Specialties and I'd buy from them again.
 While it's not an exact replica or anything, the one peice body sure makes life a little easier.  Still hanging my doors this week and hopefully will have some good pics up soon.  They are designed to put in some plexi and have no "workable" windows.  Mine is going to have regulators, I can't stand driving with the windows up.  I think I figured it out, just need to get the time.
My car was never on Craigslist unless the wife knows something I don't.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
B&B Customs sells the Diabolic kit.  Owner: Bob Kaiser of Versalia, Ca.  Molds are located at Fiberglass Specialities in Boulder City, NV.  One piece body with molded in rear and front bumper.  No vent at the rear of the quarter windows.  No vents in the tops of the front fenders.  Doors need a ton of work.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Good find on the door hinges  ::beers

bluefiero88

• Paul G / former founding member of D&R replicar.
  • Liked: 15
  • Hi fellow car fabricators
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
Wow im here in vegas and i think i saw you car on craigs list for sale. It looks like a old exotic rebodies kit. I have one of those kits and had to cut it compleatly apart and redesign the doors to get more room to do power side windows. had to even make new molds for the doors. Hope you dont have that body to. I know exotic rebodies sold off thier mold but i dont know who took it over.
Paul G

Thumper

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I think i found a new home already on here  ::beers I was stationed at Pope in NC for 11 and a half years.  I worked 16 years on the A-10 and I still enjoy seeing it around.  I've enjoyed a lot of information on this site and I'll try to get some more pics up (build diary).  I'm hoping to have this thing FINALLY complete in a month or 2.  To get 'er dun, I need to finish these doors, put the glass in, interior was already in so I just have to bolt it in and finalize it, fill in some holes and insulate, and paint.  Doesn't sound like much, but you guys know how this stuff goes.  If it looks like that part will work... it won't. 

Big maestro

• Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Christoph, I would like to say thank you for your service as well. As NoBull said The A-10 wart hog was a bad bird. I grew up in Myrtle Beach S.C where the A-10's called home before they shut the base down. I used to see them all the time. Had a friends dad that flew them in desert storm, he said he would come back with pieces of the plane missing but it still flew. Anyway, I will be building another Diablo soon I hope. I have a roadster now but Its very ruff and want a coupe anyway. I want to do the spirit of america SV-R race car with my build. Thats the plan at the moment anyway. Good luck with the rest of the build there is definitely a huge amount of talent here to help.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
Hey you're like 3 hours south of me I'm in Springfield
Welcome! :D

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
Christoph, first of all thank you for your service to our country.   ::salute  The A-10 is one bad bird, did you serve any time in Alexandria LA?

Welcome to our site and I'm glad to see another Diablo builder join us.  I feel bad sometimes when the Murci stuff overwhelms the posts and wished we had more Diablo and Countach stuff.  I'm sure you can help us with that and get some new discussions started.   ::beers

Chris

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
Cool! Interesting option I have not heard of before.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Thumper

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum. ::wave I am interested in seeing those hinges. Have any pics?

I modified them very little.  Just trimmed off the stop tabs.  I'll get a better pic of them installed later on after work. 

Jim, I'm down in Valdosta, Ga.  Hopefully soon to be moving back North.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:12:39 PM by Thumper »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »
Welcome, Thumper to our forum.  I too have a B&B in progress.  Just a little more work on the B&B than the other guys have had to do.  Still fun.  I made my own hinges.  Where do you hang your hat?  Lots of info on here.  Use the "Search" button and if you can't find it, just ask.

Jim (Michigan)
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum. ::wave I am interested in seeing those hinges. Have any pics?
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Thumper

New guy with a 6 oh.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »
  Hi everyone!  A little about me, I've been building my 6.0 for way too long and it's now or never to finish this thing.  Been a weapons technician on A-10's and now finishing up my 20 year military career in combat rescue (just like the Discovery doc  ::thumbup ).  I've built some cars before but nothing as intense as building a car from (almost) scratch from the bottom up.  Mostly teardowns and rebuilds of hot rods, drag, drift, and show. 
  On to my lil project, I picked this up from Boulder City, NV and now I believe its B&B Customs who owns this particular mold. Mine has a 4.3 Chevy (rebuilt by me with a few little mods), carb'd setup to keep me in my budget, flowing through a CLP Loudmouth muffler.  Fiero based (extended and all that fun and excitement).  Forgeline Comp rims, adapters, etc.  Currently working on hanging the doors.  Finally figure out what hinges would work for me.  I found 2 of them on ebay for 10 bucks and they came from a 57 Chevy door.  They fit and work perfectly.
  What I'm going for is a good looking car to drive around and have fun with.  Not looking to go as fast as I can or an exact replica.  Just want to turn some heads and know that I built it ,  but mostly have fun while doing it.  That's about it, really.  Pics below, but nothing on my door install until they get on there.  Haha
  Christoph'