Author Topic: You CAN do a budget build that looks great  (Read 2589 times)

mram10

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: You CAN do a budget build that looks great
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
I like the LP640 ones also.  I will try a homemade LED setup with tinted vacuum formed lense first.  If they don't turn out good enough, I will be looking for replica lights too.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »
yup as for the tail lights I'm hoping they'll be replicated by the time I ever get to needing them since there are a couple people working on them.. that is if you want lp640 ones

mram10

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »
I agree that the oem grills look better than anything I can come up with.  The headlight and tail lights also.... but those can get very expensive.  As for labor, I am charging my wife for that :)

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
what labor? well I guess you can charge yourself labor but it won't do much.
I think you can do it that cheap but it won't hurt too much to get some oem stuff like the most noticeable things like the grills. A lot of cars have cheap looking grills and it ruins the look of the whole car :\
Any cars not just these cars
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:41:07 PM by Tallon »

mram10

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »
"Right" is a matter of personal preference.  I have seen yours and realize you spent a ton of money on it.  When mine is done, it will look great, feel great and perform very well.  Again, all a matter of preference.

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
I agree that you can build one that LOOKS great for $30,000.  After that comes the expense of doing it RIGHT.  Not counting your labor is a good start towards doing it cheap.  These cars can become a bottomless pit.  How much money you spend depends on how particular you are.  Not just the looks.

mram10

You CAN do a budget build that looks great
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
Budget means $20k+ in my case.  This of course, is assuming that you will not have oem lambo stuff.  But that doesn't mean that you cannot have a gorgeous car for under $30k.
- Bought a good used kit with stretched fiero and lots of parts for under $9k(be sure and do your homework, verifying no rust, etc). 
- Bought a low mile 3800sc iii for $550 at local parts house(much cheaper than a rebuild). Rebuilt 4t65hd for under $1200. 
- Learn to work with fiberglass, body filler and poly primer.  This will save you a ton of money when getting a good paint job. Talk to a good pro painter(unless you are one), and have him check your work, so he will only have to shoot it. Big savings here.
- Buy used parts when possible(not belts, hoses, wires, etc).  Ex:I got 2 civic radiators and fans for under $100 on craigslist that work great. Found N* kit for 3800 for $250. Headers and smaller pulley for $200. Huge savings in this area.
- Learn to vacuum form things.  You can build a VF box for <$20 and use your shopvac.  Building nice head and tail lights takes some time, but can save you a ton of coin. (I will post a how-to unless someone already has a good one)
- Do not get cheap sound deadener.  Make sure you line the inside as much as possible and fire wall to make your car sound like a lambo.
- Use of spacers on the rear is fine, but do the front end right.  Either cut and weld your own a-arms (only if you know to do this safely) or buy a good kit.
- Plan at least 80-120 hours for doors.  They are tough to get right. Luckily there are some on here that are great at it (not me) to get advice from.
- Frequent Pennocks Fiero forum if you are using a fiero donor.  Those guys know their stuff.
- Lots more to add, but bring your questions to those who are experienced and share all of your experience with us so we can make the process easy for the next guy.