Author Topic: making your own trans adaptor plates???  (Read 5507 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: making your own trans adaptor plates???
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »
Camaroman,
   I asked the same question some time ago. It is because that flywheel is too big a diameter to fit in the new bellhousing built into the transaxle. Either the flywheel or the bellhousing has to give. Now the starter style and location is all wrong, and has to be re-engineered. Like I said, the plate is the easy part.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 12:30:08 PM »
 :LL:

camaroman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
SchulzeA, dont forget you would need to leave some material on the outside of the adapter for mounting your starter.

As far as the flywheel... why would someone not be able to just use the flywheel for the LS1 as it is? I don't know much about foreign transmissions or even a lot about drivetrains between the crank seal and the driveshaft U-joints!  :-[ I guess you could say that my transmission knowledge could fit in a thimble.
[/quote]

.......Duct tape :)

cmarens

• Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
I don't see why it would be so hard. It's a matter of knowing the X,Y locations... Take some time to measure the two bolt patterns needed for the adapter (like aeauto said), drill/tap the holes. Then bolt everything together, trace the outer contour of the largest bellhousing and band saw it out. Drill a hole in the center, feed a bandsaw blade through it and weld it back together. Mount the blade and cut the center out. Do you have a digital readout on the mill? What is the Y travel? You may be able to do most/all of the adapter in one shot.  ;)

SchulzeA, dont forget you would need to leave some material on the outside of the adapter for mounting your starter.

As far as the flywheel... why would someone not be able to just use the flywheel for the LS1 as it is? I don't know much about foreign transmissions or even a lot about drivetrains between the crank seal and the driveshaft U-joints!  :-[ I guess you could say that my transmission knowledge could fit in a thimble.
Kind Regards,

Chris

aeauto

• Liked: 33
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »
I would say it is almost a necessity to have a DRO.  Bridgeport mills don't have enough Y travel so you have to move the head in or out and reset the zero to do all of the holes.  Not many people have the option of welding a bandsaw blade.  I cut the center hole and contour the outside on a rotary table.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
I don't see why it would be so hard. It's a matter of knowing the X,Y locations... Take some time to measure the two bolt patterns needed for the adapter (like aeauto said), drill/tap the holes. Then bolt everything together, trace the outer contour of the largest bellhousing and band saw it out. Drill a hole in the center, feed a bandsaw blade through it and weld it back together. Mount the blade and cut the center out. Do you have a digital readout on the mill? What is the Y travel? You may be able to do most/all of the adapter in one shot.  ;)

camaroman

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
Camaroman,
   I totally agree with what has already been said. The plate is the easy part, the flywheel and the starter is the problem. I have three of these assemblies from Eric and the teeth mesh and the starters work and the engines run and I am happy.

thanks guys, point taken and Eric will get my business. He must be doing it right.

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
Camaroman,
   I totally agree with what has already been said. The plate is the easy part, the flywheel and the starter is the problem. I have three of these assemblies from Eric and the teeth mesh and the starters work and the engines run and I am happy.   

camaroman

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
I had Eric make my adaptor and flywheel to mate a boxster transaxle to a SBC.
It wasn't worth my time to reinvent that wheel, Eric did an excellent job and provides the hardware to bolt it all up.

thanks for the input. do you have a build thread? I'd love to see what you did.

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
I had Eric make my adaptor and flywheel to mate a boxster transaxle to a SBC.
It wasn't worth my time to reinvent that wheel, Eric did an excellent job and provides the hardware to bolt it all up.

camaroman

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »
Camaroman:  I'm not you but, you are probably looking at 100s of hours ahead of you in machining without proper prints just to make your adapter plate.  What about your flywheel? Starter? Clutch pressure plate? the list goes on.  You might be able to locate a used kit if you contact some of the forums out there and save a giant bottle of excedrin.  Look at what is offered from these companies and maybe you might change your mind.  Save those hours to do your electric windows.  Jim
www.bncproducts.com.au
www.renegadehybrids.com
www.kennedyenginc.com
www.californiamotorsports.net

lol i hear ya. i just thought it might be interesting to do. my skills are there, my time... ya maybe not, which is a very valid and good point.

i have talked to renegade and there seem very top notch and had some great info to share. i will check out the others as well.

thanks

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
Camaroman:  I'm not you but, you are probably looking at 100s of hours ahead of you in machining without proper prints just to make your adapter plate.  What about your flywheel? Starter? Clutch pressure plate? the list goes on.  You might be able to locate a used kit if you contact some of the forums out there and save a giant bottle of excedrin.  Look at what is offered from these companies and maybe you might change your mind.  Save those hours to do your electric windows.  Jim
www.bncproducts.com.au
www.renegadehybrids.com
www.kennedyenginc.com
www.californiamotorsports.net
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

aeauto

• Liked: 33
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »
When I started doing this I looked for prints but they don't exist.  You can find the engine bellhousing dimensions online if you look enough but you will need to measure the transmission yourself.  I have found some transmission prints online but they are not accurate.  Do you have a 12 inch turntable for the Bridgeport?  How big is your mill?  You will need a 48 inch table for enough travel.  It will also help immensely if it has a DRO.  You will also need at least a 14 inch lathe for the flywheel.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:40:15 AM by aeauto »

Thumper

• Liked: 31
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:03 PM »
I'll have to look around a bit (it's been a  long time), but I traced mine and got all the dimentions for the Fireo 5 speed to a 4.3 chevy.  If I can find it, I'll send it to you. 

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »
Eric is your man there.  Aeauto ....