Author Topic: Audi wiring  (Read 8083 times)

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
Re: Audi wiring loom help
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Dude, maybe use Hall tech, Jim Dinner used original computers and relays on his V12 beema, it worked and drove pretty good to me, but it had some problems  after, so he change the to Hall . got it Dyno tune by PURE , ( they specilize in tuning German and Japanese cars.) Kick butt now.
 in long run you may save more money rather swap ECMs after other . see What Nick Truman went with his Audi engines.
 let us know about the progress

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »
I'm using a 5hp19 FWD from a passat and I've been told the ecu won't be able to communcate with it normally and the best way I've found is to use a tcm-2000 from powertraincontrolsolutions and it's the only standalone unit I've found that will work.
But this option is $750.00 + $190 for the harness.
Then I guess the ecm will need to think it's using a manual.

On the other hand there is a european version A8 that does use a fwd 5hp19 but it's a 3.7L not a 4.2 and even if I had the ECU/TCU combo who knows if it'll still work for the 40v 4.2L engine.

Not much for a couple years of research but most audi guys don't know a thing about these setups. I only know of one guy that did this exact combination and he put an a8 with his porsche and used a shift box for an eagle talon but then he sold it right after, he claimed it worked fine but I have no idea how since the two cars don't have the same amount of solenoids used for shifting or anything similar at all. (I bought the same shift box) I could only get in contact with him a couple times then he stopped responding. Which sucks when you find the only one in the world who has done what you are trying to do.

I see why the electrical problems. I'm pulling my hair out with the diagrams. Like the connectors on the engine harness, there are many RANDOM unrelated circuits (engine AND common) that go partly through one connector that is shared with other random circuits. When you'd think each connector should be related circuits. And there is no pinouts anywhere that tell you what each pin represents, you have to know what circuit to look in to inspect it. I went to school and learned how to read amercian diagrams but that was first grade stuff apparently.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:39:05 AM by Tallon »

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
Talon, what kind of tranny are you going to use?? does it need ECU re flash??also I would in your case replace all gaskets, water pump , belts etc . its easy to do when the engine is out . those German engines needs constant maintenance . I have a BMW so I know what it take to have a good reliable ride.All German cars are same ,constant electrical /mechanical problems when they aged.

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
Ah , the sequence is that the dash checks the transponder in the key and then gives authorisation to the ecu . There is constant communication between the dash and engine as you might expect for tachometer etc.
I realised that I need to install USA wiring diagrams , so a task for tomorrow .. ::study

I am also in a similar position with my bmw engine - dash , so a bit of a mission for me too.
Oooh , Red leather.

Tallon

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
Does the immobilizer get disabled in the ecu then? Is it expensive to do something like this?

String

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
Excellent , with that sorted  , we can start looking up the relevant wiring required for the engine only . The bulk of the loom from the ecu to engine components should be straightforward to separate , that would leave a list of wires at the ecu plug which would need to be determined.Noting all those remaining ecu pin numbers would be a starting point.
 :)
Oooh , Red leather.

Tallon

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »
Ah, IN the cluster..  ::scratch well i guess this model is not a standalone immo like other A8's I had no idea. It seems they started out that way and then in newer models they went back to using it again.

But whichever the case, I do have the instrument cluster. I'm not sure if I can fit the A8's instruments into the Murcielago surround though. It seems a bit bigger. If I can get it to fit I wouldn't mind how it looks.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:14:27 AM by Tallon »

String

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »
'unit' ? , the immobiliser is built into the dash panel insert ( instruments ) - as indicated in last pics ... with this you know the engine can run.... ;)
Oooh , Red leather.

Tallon

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
wow I can't find the unit anywhere, and everything should be in the car :( only thing that came up missing so far

I found one that is the alarm module but I don't think it's it, 20 pins
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:03:35 PM by Tallon »

Tallon

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
I have the whole column but I couldn't find a control unit, I've seen pictures of it but I looked through the rubble and couldn't find one and I don't even remember pulling something like this from the dash.
I have the key and coil reader
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:53:50 PM by Tallon »

String

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 05:16:43 AM »
ok , if you have the main connector box , it makes it much easier to seperate the loom. The immobilser is the first problem to overcome.... do you have the dash insert and the ignition switch key reader..?
and the key..
Oooh , Red leather.

Tallon

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
Yea I have all that it's attached to the harness I took a picture of, I guess if I had cut out everything out when it was in the car it would have been easier

I thought the car had immobiliser but I can't find it, then I heard there could also be one in the security system
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:01:50 PM by Tallon »

String

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
Ok , AKB is straight forward for this model , as it is only fitted with one gearbox option EDG. To explain , when removing components from the VAG range of cars the data sticker info is crucial for looking up the correct spare parts and data/ wiring diagram in the workshop system . Regardless of whether the parts are being used or not.
There are only two version options with this model so shouldn't present any problems paring down the necessary wiring components , this is assuming you have the engine bay electrics box ,the passenger footwell box and the main fusebox.
 ::duh
Oooh , Red leather.

Tallon

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 06:51:46 AM »
*brain explode*
well engine is AKB, not sure on trans code since I'm not using it but it was a 5hp24 AWD
2000 (D2) A8 Quattro 4.2L 40v engine
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:00:17 AM by Tallon »

String

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 02:05:31 AM »
You should ideally have the instrument pack and the steering column pickup sensor for the key ....and of course the key .. ;)

If you can let me know the engine code , gearbox code and type variant I can lookup the appropriate diagram sections  ::study

For now , the loom is basically two sections thus..
Oooh , Red leather.