Author Topic: LP640 GTR-FX Roadster  (Read 25336 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: LP640 GTR-FX Roadster
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 02:05:18 AM »
It's already starting to get too cold around here to commit to any big projects in my unheated shop (like bodywork).  I've thought about setting up a ventilated "tent" in my basement and trying to knock out some of these smaller fiberglass projects this winter.  If I cut off the front clip (just the body) from my car, I could drag it home and finish my hood and work on my front bumper in warm comfort.  Since I'm wrapping my car instead of painting it, I could also go as far as basically completing many of these smaller pieces now and setting them aside so they are ready for assembly once I've made my frame / engine / suspension / transmission changes next Spring. 

Onto the rear muffler (spoiler) panel.  I learned that the G28 panel is exactly the same as an OEM panel therefore if you are able to find one from a wrecked car, you can almost bolt an OEM panel onto your car.  The only modification I found you'll need to make is cutting out a section of ledge on either side of of the car where the panel rests to make room for section on the panel that holds the spoiler (see the picture).  I'm using a panel from John Watson combined with an actual ::LAMBO2 spoiler that I picked up a couple years ago for less than $300. 

The spoiler has the brackets that allow it to pivot correctly.  I'll use flat stock steel and bend up 3" on each side to use for the pivot points on the panel.  This flat bar will be bonded to the panel so there is plenty of surface area for keeping the spoiler attached to the car.  Raising and lowering the spoiler takes less than 4" of travel from a linear actuator therefore I'm going to keep in simple and use one instead of two like the factory, and it will be simple to add the second one if one is not enough. 

All that is left is figuring out how to raise and lower it based on vehicle speed and it sounded like Dustin was volunteering his services to help figure this out using a small controller and GPS module.  ::thumbup

Chris       
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:12:28 AM by No Bull »

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
So are you going to cut that bad boy up this weekend :P Chris?  Have you decided on the mechanism for the rear spoiler to raise and lower?  I was thinking of using the same setup as they use for the Porsche 996.
Pedro

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »
Some pictures of my new parts from John Watson.

Chris

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
That is something I noticed too, all glass parts I buy smell bad usually but johns didn't and they look nice and clean black on the back side you can tell a big difference between the cheap stuff and the high quality stuff, although I didn't buy anything that big yet, still debating on a front bumper.
Those flanges are a hassle to do, and don't forget having to fix the sag, I did it but not happy with it.
I can't wait to see how you guys attach the rocker panels. I wish the g28 sill area was like oem.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:10:54 PM by Tallon »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »
Sweet Chris! Total motivation cant wait to get my parts  ::beers. I totally agree with the time saved and the precision of Johns parts, the final outcome will be worth every penny!

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
The trip took about 20 hours round trip but after I seen the parts and met John, it was worth every mile.  I can't say enough about the quality of the parts (AMAZING!) so I'll say it in pictures later this week and and get some posted.  These are my general observations of the OEM style parts that I picked up.

1. Quality, Quality, Quality!  The parts are a very consistent thickness and very strong.  The gel coat is super smooth and free of voids or defects.  I was surprised how little the parts smelled compared to other fiberglass parts that I've bought.  We carried about half the parts in the cab of our truck and rode with them for about 10 hours without any noticeable fiberglass smell at all. 

2. The original spoiler that I bought last year from a wrecked Murci fits perfectly in the muffler cover panel.  The cover fits perfectly on the back of my G28 roadster.  I'm going to make this spoiler fully functional with a linear actuator just like the original.  I would've had a couple of days in fabrication work invested in making my G28 panel operational and even then the fit and finish wouldn't even begin to touch the OEM appearance that I have now.  Little details like the step down flange on the front of the panel will make a major difference in the final fit and appearance of all the panels put together.

3. The rocker panels appear to be the same length as the G28 panels. Everything looks like it'll be a direct replacement with some minimal finish and blending work with the body.  Johns parts have all the OEM mounting points which will make locating and fabricating the mounting brackets much easier.

4.  The drivers side rocker scoop consists of 6 pieces.  When everything is bonded together, it forms a box that holds the transmission oil cooler.  The box also doubles as a duct to route the cool air to the radiator.  I won't know until I have my old rockers off just how far it extends into the rear frame area.  I'm building a custom frame so this won't be are much of a problem for me but for others retaining a donor frame, this might go too far into the frame area and something will require changes.

5.  As soon as I got the front bumper on a cart in my shop, I grabbed my OEM front grills and tried fitting them into the openings.  They fit with surgical precision and all the mounting holes lined up perfectly including the "tow plug".  The bumper has all the factory edges which will make locating and building the bumper separation flange on my body much simpler and exactly like factory.  I picked up a set of headlight washer brows while I was there and they dropped in and fit perfectly into the bumper.  When I think of all the time and materials I would've had separating the bumper from one piece body and then building all the edges, mounting tabs for the grills and then reworking the grill openings so the grills fit exactly... this is time and money in the bank in my opinion and I'm going to end up with a OEM style bumper that can be unbolted and replaced in the future if it's ever damaged.

Before everyone starts asking me questions about Johns prices, I'll ask that you work this directly with John.  With the costs of materials going up and his availability, he might charge different prices at different times and maybe even to different people.  I can tell you that I spent four figures for my parts and I can tell you that they are worth every cent I spent on them.  ::salute

Pictures to follow later this week guys.

Chris
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:57:24 PM by No Bull »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
I'm like 12 hours and 730 miles away from him  ::duh gonna be a long day! Id be there every weekend if I was only 5.5 hours away ::tongue haha

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
Ah really?? I wish I could go up there soon I'm probably 5.5hrs away

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
We really need some updates here Bull ::tongue and I REALLY need to see some pictures of the parts you got this weekend!!! Im heading over to see John the weekend of the 3rd and 4th to get my parts  ::toothy

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
Concept
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
In talking about installing the GTP cradle, you don't turn the cradle around.  Just install it in the same configuration as the front installation. 

I had to really think about this but you are absolutely correct, I wouldn't need to turn it around but rather slide the engine and cradle down the length of the car to the back.  For some reason I was thinking it had to be turned around and I'm sure we would've caught this sooner or later (hopefully sooner than later).  My buddy Jeff built his G24 around this configuration and here is a couple videos of his car.

Chris

Lamborghini Murcielago replica 3800 SC idle and rev up

Lamborghini Murcielago Supercar replica test drive 1

Lamborghini Murcielago Supercar replica test drive 2

Lamborghini Murcielago Supercar replica test drive 3

Peggyontherunireland

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »
Great to see another person doing a race car Lambo hats off to you sir  ::salute ask any question you want or need to know about the GT-R i have studied this car alot and based it around mine

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
About the wide body:  The racing LPs use the Hamaan racing body panels which are wider to cover the tires, correct?  They sell the Hamaan Kit for about $11,000 usd.  I'd buy one of those, Nobull!!!   ::headbang

Jim
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:51:32 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
You are doing fine, Nobull.  In talking about installing the GTP cradle, you don't turn the cradle around.  Just install it in the same configuration as the front installation.  Use the front struts (install coilovers) and Lower A-frames off the GTP also.  For the strut towers, you can make your own like I did or you could weld 2 pieces of locating tubing from one tower to the other (after you have removed the engine of course).  Take a measurement from (a scribe line on the caps or RH nut to LH nut) prior to cut. and then cut them off of the car.  Being welded together would retain the proper camber angle for the struts.  I installed my caps with 0 degrees caster (straight up and down).  Install on your rear framework and voila!  see pic.  Jim ::thumbup

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:54:38 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
Ya know I was gonna ask you a couple days ago when you were going to start a build thread on your car! After all you can't keep it in the dark forever ::tongue It looks very good and well planned! I know you will keep us updated, looking forward to seeing more ::headbang

On another note did anybody see the guys door open in the second to the last picture?!?! Somebody got fired that day :'(