Author Topic: LP640 GTR-FX Roadster  (Read 25367 times)

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: LP640 GTR-FX Roadster
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
The 5th picture that shows the carbon body without paint looks really cool. I wish the show "how it's made" would do an episode on how to mold carbon that well around parts such as a fender. I've be learning to vacuum bag and mold carbon lately and it's not as easy as expected.  ::duh
Will you be doing the vacuum method or a wet lay up similar to laying fiberglass?

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
USMC Butler has shown us that the OEM sized rockers and scoops can be fitted to the G28 with some minor modifications and I'm hoping the same for the front bumper.
murcie-me has an oem front bumper on the old forums he showed the little modification he needed to do. pic is gone though. should be easy.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:29 AM »
Here is a picture of some of the parts that I intend on enhancing with either carbon fiber replacements or using a carbon fiber overlay.  It's not shown in the picture but I also want to do the sides of my bat wings so the carbon is exposed only when they are in the "up" position.  The goal is to create some darker contrasting areas in carbon to accent the white wrap.  I think that a little carbon fiber might go a long way and look at home on a race inspired build.

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:29 AM »
More pictures of some different R-GT spoiler and interior styles.

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:21:10 AM »
Looks great! As if a lambo isnt cool enough, a race version will cause serious rubber knecking on the road.
Are the race car bodies different and who makes them for the race team? It may just be the stance,but they look wider or something. I can't put my finger on it exactly. Well I could put my finger on the screen, on the car, but I wouldn't be able to point at the differance, I feel like I see but I'm not sure where I see it.

From what I can tell, the bodies are the same and there are some added racing bits.  The R-GT has a rear diffuser under the rear bumper and they often have a tall rear spoiler and air intake on the roof and sometimes they have a widened front spoiler. 

The car might look wider because they sit much lower than a street version and I'm sure the rims and tires are the widest that you can squeeze in the wheel wheels.  Here are some more pictures and I'll ask Peggyontherun to add additional comments because I'm sure he's studied pictures of these cars many times and has identified many other differences.  ::study

I totally agree with what you said about it being a head turner.  Seeing a Lambo on the road creates a lot of attention and seeing any race car on the road would do the same.  Combine the two and I'm sure it's going to earn many  ::thumbup and I'm sure it'll be pulled over once a month by the  ::police just to see who is driving it and if it's street legal.  8) 

Honestly I don't really care about drawing all this attention and I really worry about creating an accident by making to much of a distraction (especially with the younger drivers) but I think it's to be expected and it's fair game if you plan on building something this exotic.

Chris 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:24:29 AM by No Bull »

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 03:42:09 AM »
Looks great! As if a lambo isnt cool enough, a race version will cause serious rubber knecking on the road.
Are the race car bodies different and who makes them for the race team? It may just be the stance,but they look wider or something. I can't put my finger on it exactly. Well I could put my finger on the screen, on the car, but I wouldn't be able to point at the differance, I feel like I see but I'm not sure where I see it.

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
I've ordered the following body parts from John Watson. 

1.       Front LP640 bumper
2.       A pair of LP640 rockers
3.       Left side unassembled scoop (there are 6 pieces to this thing!)
4.       Right side scoop
5.       Muffler cover

For those of you not familiar with John Watson, he builds some of the nicest OEM correct parts that I've seen and several guys here are very happy customers.  In case you are wondering what a "Muffler cover" is, it's the trunk lid looking panel at the rear of the car that holds the spoiler on the real car.  They call it a muffler cover because its the removable (not hinged) panel for getting access to the mufflers and other areas in the back of the car (attaching a picture of a yellow OEM panel for reference). 

One very interesting thing that I found out is that a OEM panel and spoiler is exactly the same size as the panel and molded in spoiler on a G28 and the panel for a roadster and coupe are exactly the same size.  For those wanting an operational rear spoiler, you might consider buying the entire panel with spoiler from a salvaged car and simply mounting it on your car.  I had an OEM spoiler so I'm combining this with the OEM sized panel that John is making me and I'll have a very authentic and operational rear spoiler.

USMC Butler has shown us that the OEM sized rockers and scoops can be fitted to the G28 with some minor modifications and I'm hoping the same for the front bumper.  The OEM style bumper will make mounting my OEM grilles much easier and I'll get rid of the G28 sag at the same time.  It's also important to me that these parts are removable for repairs but also get away from the one piece bodywork that can cause other problems down the road.  Since these panels have factory flanges, building my flanges (on my body) should be made simpler since I have something to go from.

I'm still waiting for the underside hood panel that Bart is making for us (he said it'll be soon) which leaves only one last big body part.... a quality roadster engine cover.  There is one on Ebay that looks really nice but I can't afford or justify the $2000 asking price. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221075217108?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I made an Ebay offer up to $700 (instantly kicked back) and I finally gave up.  ::sad  I want a warp free panel that is strong and has all the OEM mounting locations and openings for my OEM grilles and third brake light.  I still need to confirm if an OEM roadster engine cover will fit perfectly on a G28, anyone know?

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
Last year I bought a 27,000 mile SC3800 last year that came mounted in a Fiero cradle and with an automatic transmission.  It came with a reprogrammed ECU and a awesome set of headers.  At first I thought about just doing a standard SC3800 swap using these parts but after a lot of consideration, I decided that we are going to hack off the extended portion of the Fiero's rear end and build a new frame that will hold a six speed F40 transmission, SC3800 and the suspension and modified cradle from a Pontiac GTP.  The cradle is already designed to hold the SC3800 and when turned around moved to the back of the car, it will push the car from the rear vs. pull it in a front wheel drive layout.  The modifications to the cradle so it'll hold the F40 is a little extensive but Archie has a kit for around $1700 that makes it a little simpler.  My car was originally an automatic so I'll be converting it over to a manual by using a combination of stock Fiero and modified parts.  I'm going to start two new topics for the engine and transmission and link them here so they stay connected to my build diary.

Engine:   http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=238.0

Transmission:    http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=237.0

Last week I purchased a GTP donor car.  It runs great for 137,000 miles and as you can tell by the pictures, the previous owner had a very jealous girlfriend that decided to lower the value of his car for me.   ::tongue  I'll basically remove the four bolts that hold the cradle in the car and unbolt the shock towers, cut some unwanted connections and try to remove as much wiring harness as possible before dropping the entire assembly out of the bottom of the car.  The SC3800 from this car might be for sale along with the transmission or I may hold onto it for spare parts.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:05:10 PM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »
     Nobull, you are da man ::headbang  There are those who fictionally dream and there are the rest of us who set attainable goals.  Sounds like a plan.  Don't be overcome with the difficulties along the way.  Take each item as a challenge.  You're gonna have a real Head Turner for sure.  ::thumbup

Jim

Thanks Jim, you've been a big help in keeping me motivated, sharing ideas and helping my with my door hinges.   ::thumbup

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
New front bracing and windshield frame.

- After (more to come, in progress)

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
I removed the body from the frame and reinforced the front end with custom bracing to provide additional safety and strength, but also provide adequate bracing for my door hinge mounting points and brackets for misc. parts (horns, wiper motor, trunk liner, battery tray).

- Before Pictures

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the quality of the CarKit Inc. fiberglass on my car is really poor.  It's very thin and all chopper gun.  I have several areas that will require major reinforcement and and repairs due to splitting and cracking.  My goal is to replace all of the "stress" parts like the rockers, bumpers, doors and engine cover with better quality parts and more accurate parts and reinforce the portion of the main G28L body that I'll try to save.  I considered going with another body (may still) but for now I'm wanting to save some of what I have and stick with a roadster.  I've heard good stories about the Carkit Inc. bodies from other builders and I'll give them the benefit of doubt that this might have been one of their first and the quality has improved.  Personally I would've preferred to have started out with an $8,000 body and save my money and time trying to make what I have work.  I figure my paint and wrap will be around $5,000 which could be jeopardized if the fiberglass underneath doesn't hold up.  Moral of the story, do your homework and start with the best foundation you can.  Add up the numbers and look at the total cost of ownership when it comes to the body since your time, materials, repairs and the longevity of your finish is not cheap.

Chris

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »
     Nobull, you are da man ::headbang  There are those who fictionally dream and there are the rest of us who set attainable goals.  Sounds like a plan.  Don't be overcome with the difficulties along the way.  Take each item as a challenge.  You're gonna have a real Head Turner for sure.  ::thumbup

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:13:28 PM »
This is how I bought my project.  This was Rob's first build and he did the best he could and it wasn't a bad first build.  There were many parts that I decided to change so I tore it down and removed the body from the frame.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:04:03 PM by No Bull »