Author Topic: naerc suspension bushings ?  (Read 4681 times)

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
Re: naerc suspension bushings ?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 06:24:40 AM »
The naerc chassis has frame brackets (5510) that are 2.25" on the inside of the U.
The control arm end tubes (6010) are 1.75" wide X 1.25" I.D. X 1.5"O.D. DOM.
I think the cheapest way to make the bushings is to buy 1.25" O.D X 0.75" I.D. UHMW plastic tube. Cut these to 2.25". Press these into the end tubes (6010) until 0.25” is showing on each side.
Use 0.75"O.D. X 0.5" I.D. DOM steel tube cut to lengths of 2.25" this will press into the center of the UHMW.
Use 1.625" O.D. X 1.25" I.D. UHMW plastic tube cut into 0.25" spacers to slip onto the ends in order to keep the control arm end centered in the frame bracket.
Get rid of the eccentric washers (5550) and the channels (5520) that they fit into. The steel is bent to fit the eccentric washers (5550) and the facts are that the washer will not fit flat into the base of the channel (5520) to keep everything perfectly tight because of the shape in the corners of 5520.
I suggest heavy flat washers, Grade 8 X 1/2" X 3.75” coarse thread bolts with lock nuts. No eccentrics (5550), no weld on channels and no threaded rod (5540) no fine threads.
Your alignment can still be done easily as you are still using the slotted holes in the frame bracket (5510) and once it is tightened and it will stay tight.

I had two control arm points come loose on the yellow car and once I did the above my problems were cured. I tried getting things tight enough with the fine threaded rod but I kept pulling the threads off the nut and the eccentric washer would not sit flat. It is a great idea in theory and will work but everything needs to be perfect for it to work.
I got the plastic tubes from http://www.johnstonplastics.com/ in Toronto.

aeauto

• Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
That is much cheaper than what you can make them for.  You will just have to machine the outer sleeve that will be welded to the a-arms.

farmer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 21
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
found this link from another site,  wondering if this will work for the bushings

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.9107

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
For input , these are the rubber bushes I am using - looking for a more compliant ride and can't see me ( or anyone else for that matter ) having more talent than they would allow  ;).
The larger ones are audi inc R8 for inboard mounts, and the smaller ones are for outboard mounts to the rear uprights. These came direct from Germany.
Oooh , Red leather.

aeauto

• Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
The energy suspension bushings would be better than the UHMW plastic.  Go to their web site and they list all the sizes they have and you can machine your steel sleeves to fit.  I can do the machining if you need someone.

farmer

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:11 AM »
i unfortunately dont know anybody who can do this for me. i did see a thread in the past that had a list of the bushings that could be bought from energy suspension. but now that i am looking for it i can locate it

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
I believe you machine them yourself, UHMW rod turned down and cut to length X54. Or something like that.

farmer

naerc suspension bushings ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
im gathering up all my odds and ends pieces to be able to start  building my chassis when my steel gets all cut up, and i am having issues finding what bushings i need for the suspension front and back, im guessing that energy suspension will be the place to get the bushings but i for some reason cant figure out what part numbers i need.  if anybody can lend me a hand in this dept it would be greatly appreciated

bryan