Author Topic: Pic of the rear deck lid open.  (Read 7893 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
Re: Pic of the rear deck lid open.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
Seems we're talking about deck lid, then hatch and now engine covers  ::scratch

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
I have started thinking of one of those covers for my car.  My ls4 absolutely needs a beauty cover.  I don't care for the ls4 cover so I've experimented with ls3 and ls7 covers.  A murci replica cover would be expensive right?  And it would have to bear a strong resemblance to the real thing.  Decisions, decisions.  They run about $500 for just a raw unfinished piece right?  What would I have to expect to pay for a quality finished piece?

There was an OEM panel on Ebay for around $1800 shipped and it included the panel and the spoiler.  It would need to be painted to match your car and you'd need to add your own pair of linear actuators since the OEM set were missing.  I think that nearly any actuator that had the correct travel could be made to work.  I thought I seen another panel on Ebay for $900 but it didn't include the spoiler.

Chris

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:14:56 PM »
I have started thinking of one of those covers for my car.  My ls4 absolutely needs a beauty cover.  I don't care for the ls4 cover so I've experimented with ls3 and ls7 covers.  A murci replica cover would be expensive right?  And it would have to bear a strong resemblance to the real thing.  Decisions, decisions.  They run about $500 for just a raw unfinished piece right?  What would I have to expect to pay for a quality finished piece?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:17:23 PM by dratts »

notnilc20

• Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
Oh Ok, thanks everyone, that explains why I could never find a picture of it open or of it opening..........Later.

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »
I would imagine you can even use these velcro straps to mount interior pieces as well like the door panels, dash, center console, and it will make it easily accessible to work on anything underneath the panels.
-Jayso

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
No Bull, post some pics of the velcro straps you're talking about.

Here is a link to the stuff that I have (or similar to it). 

http://www.industrialwebbing.com/Industrial_hook.html

I like IKR's idea also of having the front bracket hook around the tube from the underside and use a bolt (or quick release pin) to secure it in the front.

Chris

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
make 4 u shape brackets that will fit over the same size round tubing ,weld the u shape brackets side ways ,open end facing the back glass ,put one mount plate an bolt dead center of the rear trunk an when you open the engine cover ,the bolt is right there under the front of the rear trunk, remove it an slide the trunk panel cover backwards an off the car .... or do this

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:03:00 AM by italianknightrider »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
No Bull, post some pics of the velcro straps you're talking about.
-Jayso

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
Don't laugh  ::tongue but I've thought about using industrial Velcro straps that would loop through metal slots on bracing underneath yet leave it easy to detach (no tools) when access is required.  I have Velcro in the shop that has a sheer strength of around 300Lbs.  When Velcro is looped through something, it's the sheer strength vs. the pull strength that is important.  The difference is that you're pulling on the length of the material which involves many more latch and hook sections and not just a few sections when you lift directly up.  If you borrowed a part of Jdinners design, you could build two fingers on the trailing end of the panel (closest to the bumper) and these could be rest inside a pair of brackets (use rubber grommets to reduce an rattling) which would hold the panel in position so it won't lift up from the rear.  With the engine cover lifted up you would have access to secure the Velcro loops on the leading edge.  Removal would be as simple as lifting the engine cover, undoing the two straps and lifting it rearward and off the car.  If two straps are used, it would take over 600Lbs of lift on the panel to rip the straps away and since the wind coming over the car will be pushing down on this panel, I don't see any concerns with safety and personally I think the fiberglass would give before the straps would give way.   ::) 

Chris
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:31:13 AM by No Bull »

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »
Here are two pics of the mounts I made for my deck lid. (Similar to OEM) I used steel tubing with a plastic sleeve (1/2" Air brake line) and the solid rod slides inside. The brackets are adjustable up and down and a single bolt on the leading edge on each side hold it in place. These two bolts also allow for adjustment.
http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/Progress_Page/Progress_Page_3_files/IMG_0666_1.jpg
http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/Progress_Page/Progress_Page_3_files/IMG_0665_1.jpg

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:31:52 AM »
Like IKR said, this is a "fixed" but removable panel on a real Murci and it covers the mufflers therefore it's called a "muffler panel".  I've seen several builders hinge this panel since there is a small trunk in the rear of a Fiero and this panel can give you access to that space.  One very interesting thing that I found was that an OEM panel is a exact replacement for the G28 which means that if you find a reasonably priced OEM panel with spoiler, you can bolt the entire assembly onto your G28 based body.  I had a OEM spoiler that I was going to use with my G28 panel but rather than waste a lot of time and money fabricating that part so it works with the spoiler and is functional, I've ordered a panel from John Watson and I'm going to use my OEM spoiler with that replacement panel to minimize the fabrication (time and money in the bank).

Chris
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:33:44 AM by No Bull »

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 01:57:50 AM »
it does not open in the capacity you are thinking ,1 it house the rear wing flap inside the trunk cover ,2 it is a muffler cover that is bolted closed from the inside an for exhaust work you can unbolt it from the inside to expose the muffler an all it tricky exhaust pipes

on the kit cars we use this area to make a rear trunk ....Wow !!  which i like for a duffel bag
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:01:07 AM by italianknightrider »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

notnilc20

• Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Pic of the rear deck lid open.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:19:15 AM »
Can anyone find or share a pic of the rear deck lid (not the engine bonnet) open or a vid of it opening on the Murcielago?  I've searched everywhere and can't find one.  Thanks.