Author Topic: Wide body kit for murci  (Read 4606 times)

Linlor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
Re: Wide body kit for murci
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »
I asked the Fiero community the lowering the rear question and got some decent options.

Cheers
Don

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000671.html

Linlor

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »
Pm sent.

Cheers
Don

Fatboyslim

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
  • Lamborghini Addiction
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »
Thanks Don good info..yes i have a '86 fiero donor, the front end is all stock with spacers and the rear end believe it or not is from the "front end" of a '94 cadillac deville with the orig strut towers still there ::scratch. Dont ask me how or why , its just there. I dont want to use spacers and i want to lower the car to a ride heighth of an inch or so above the tires front and back. On the widebody version, the fender flares stick out 3 inches as do the wheels so achieving this without spacers is no easy task. Can i call you i have a zillion questions thanks.

Randy

Linlor

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »
fatboyslim;

Is your donour car a Fiero?  I am assuming so since you are talking about Held/Arrault.  Making wider control arms is not that hard to do.  I made my own wider tubular control arms for my old Ferrari 355 build.  My fronts were 2" wider each side and the rears were 4" each side with coil overs in the rear.  The big part is that you end up changing the suspension geometry a certain amount when you extend the control arms. This needs to be thought about seriously as I have learned over time.  The wider control arms move the centre of moment of the frame under cornering conditions (up I think) so if you do extend your arms, go to a place where you can gradually ramp up the cornering speeds in safe conditions to confirm new handling characteristics before heading out to the mountain passes and dive into a corner.  Wider control arms are not necessarily a bad thing but you just want to know the change in handling before getting aggressive as the pre88 Fieros already had inherent suspension idiosyncrasies from the factory.  Adding more changes just adds to the uncertain reactions.  if you have a pre88 Fiero donour, make sure you remove the rear bump steer as well in the suspension as that is a large part of the factory Fiero idiosyncrasies and helps with the new geometry handling.

The main reason for the coilovers on the rears of Fieros is to gain room behind the wider rim/tire combos used on replicas as the stock springs are quite wide on the Fiero. The strut remains and you just change out the springs.  This also allows you to select a different spring rate. 

Adjusting the ride height with coilovers is also a common practice but it ends up removing shock travel in the compression direction so you have an increased rick of bottoming out the shocks which wears them out fairly quickly or out and out breaks them if you hit hard enough.  You can use shorter struts when wanting to lower the stance of the car but that still changes the geometry of the lower control arm on the rear suspension because the control arm pivots are lowered at resting stance therefore changing the angle of the control arms.   There are many different ways to address ride height and still get decent suspension performance and as many different opinions on which ones work best....

In a possible future Fiero build, I will be lowering the car by moving the control arm mounts up with shorter struts rather than use the coilovers to lower the stance.

As for the width, another item to address into the solution is the length of the axles.  if you are staying with transverse engine/trans setup, you will end up with a long passenger axle unless you add in an intermediate shaft.  These can be found on many cars depending on what transmission you plan to use.  Don't try to run the passenger axle the full length of teh new wider track.

My thoughts only and not looking for a flame war.

Cheers
Don

Peggyontherunireland

• Liked: 18
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »
There is only re-bar in door for strength look over my build thread before you make accusations about my build
Just don't build yours out of rebar

Fatboyslim

• Lamborghini Addiction
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
Thats a great idea thanks ::thumbup

nickmkk

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 61
  • Cloquet, MN
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »
Thats great, thanks. Question, What do you think about coil overs vs struts?

Well, i'm not an expert but I'm planning on using coil overs to lower the ride height in the back and drop spindles to lower it in the front.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:20:01 AM by nickmkk »

Fatboyslim

• Lamborghini Addiction
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
 Thats great, thanks. Question, what do you think about coil overs vs struts?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:14:26 AM by Fatboyslim »

nickmkk

• Liked: 61
  • Cloquet, MN
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:58:18 AM »
Do you know if held motorsports will make a custom front / rearend? Finding longer control arms is painfully hard :-[

As far as I know Held Motorsports was bought out and is now Arraut Motorsports.  I spoke with someone at Arraut not long ago and he mentioned that they can make the suspension as wide as you need.  Please let me know if you find a better solution.  :)

http://www.arrautmotorsports.com/contact-us

Taken from their FAQs:
Q:  I'm building a kit car, how do I know what size arms I need?
    Fiero wheel bases have a standard size of 62.5".  I suggest that you can mock up the wheels and tires that you are going to use under the body, keeping them about a finger's width inside the inner fender lip.  Then measure from the hub face to the rim back face of the hub.  That should give you an idea of how long the arms need to be extended.  Some people actually use pvc tubing as a spacer, and that gives them a better idea.  Also it is cheap and easy to modify.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:05:18 AM by nickmkk »

Fatboyslim

• Lamborghini Addiction
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
Do you know if held motorsports will make a custom front / rearend? Finding longer control arms is painfully hard :-[

Tallon

• Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 10:22:42 AM »
Just don't build yours out of rebar

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 04:11:23 AM »
Here is a widebody replica

http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=138.0

Not as extreme in the rear as liberty walk though

Fatboyslim

• Lamborghini Addiction
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 02:43:51 AM »
Im hoping to find longer control arms and spindles to get the correct width, i may have to add small spacers but i actually started making the fender flares already. Might as well give it a try, it will  be the 1st  replica widebody murci as far as i know. I also made my own engine and trunk compartme t panels from sheetmetal that looks great. I will post pics soon.

lamborghinimurci

• Liked: 6
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 01:12:06 AM »
I hope you dont plan on running wheel spacers. The rear would be over half a foot long!   O_o

Fatboyslim

• Lamborghini Addiction
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »
hehe yup its very nice, but please go search google images for LB performance wide body murci, for more pics. its like a murci on steroids. Im planning on making my G28 as close to this look as possible.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:09:23 AM by Fatboyslim »