Author Topic: Mounting the TG G28 or CKI Mercy2 kit on the fiero  (Read 3138 times)

nickmkk

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • Cloquet, MN
Re: Mounting the TG G28 or CKI Mercy2 kit on the fiero
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, you have all been very helpful.  I think this video pretty much sums up what I need to do If I want to keep the body in one piece which I think I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvhPMYznDRw

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »
Nick, look at the posts in "Methods to mounting body to frame... " in the "Fiberglass and Paint" category.  It shows the various main points that guys have put their mounting pads.  I can think of about 10 more places to add mounts.  The major ones are the ones that you can locate the positions with the body setting on.  Others you can add after the body has been glued.  Hope that makes sense. ::scratch ::study ::scratch

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Transcend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 4
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
Hi Nick, if you have no idea id honestly hire a professional. just put an add on Craigslist and look at there work and go to there shop to see what they do. I got my stretch and chassis reinforcement for around 1500, pay a professional, its your life on the line.

Where are you located and who did the stretch for you, I got terribly ripped off. Paid about $4000 for a botched strip and stretch.

Tallon

• Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
I thought it was straight forward as far as the main mounting points in which the g28 was designed to sit directly on like the rear firewall and front, you'd just have to cut away parts of the chassis that get in the way and build up the parts of the chassis that aren't already supporting the rest of the body. Sorry I have no experience with the chassis but this is what I've heard from others.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:47:04 AM by Tallon »

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »
You will have a tough time finding a commonly used method for mounting and for that matter locations, although common areas have been pointed out over the years it is always up to the individual builder where and how they make hat connection.
Solid mounts, flexible mounts, (bolts, adhesives), chassis mounts, hidden mounts, visible mounts... And that's assuming it's a Fiero build, using a tube chassis becomes another element that is different than the donor version.
Another issue is if you keep the single huge body intact or you dissect it to the individual panels.
In the long run the individual panels will allow a less stressed car but is easily ten times the headache to mount as each panel requires that many more location points.
If there were a "book" on how to do anything with these cars I believe we would have all purchased it and there would be no need for forums other than show and tell, truth is we all write our own individual books for our individual builds, some are open and some books are closed, all are coveted just the same.
If you have a method that you are unsure of then post and see the collective response, plenty of people will assist you with your questions and your ideas

notnilc20

• Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
Here is a link to thread abot that. Not really a guide but there are a few pics that you may find helpful.
http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=296.0

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »
Hi Nick, if you have no idea id honestly hire a professional. just put an add on Craigslist and look at there work and go to there shop to see what they do. I got my stretch and chassis reinforcement for around 1500, pay a professional, its your life on the line.

I'm not clueless, I was just looking for details on mounting the body to the chassis if they exist, if not I can figure it out on my own and by looking at other build threads.  Thanks for the advise though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:24:24 AM by nickmkk »

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 36
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
Siteupp.com

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
Mounting the TG G28 or CKI Mercy2 kit on the fiero
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »
Does anyone know of a guide on how to prepare the Fiero chassis for the G28 or Murcy2 body kit?  I'm looking for specifics on mounting and supporting the body.  I've found the B&B Customs guide http://www.bandbcustoms.com/diabolic/howto.html on stretching the Fiero but this doesn't show how to mount the body.  Either way i'll figure it out but if there is a guide that will save me trouble I would like to use it.

Thanks guys,

-Nick