Author Topic: Hinges for Front Hood/Engine Cover  (Read 12586 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Hinges for Front Hood/Engine Cover
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »
Or for engine cover hinge you could try to make your own, this is the murcie hinge

basic hinge shape

Thanks for posting that picture Tallon.. it's a keeper.  I'm going to base my engine hinges off of this.

Chris

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
Or for engine cover hinge you could try to make your own, this is the murcie hinge

basic hinge shape

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:41:12 AM »
Cki says dodge stealth hinges work. They are a simple hinge design like the door hinges. Will those work? Or will the hood and trunk lid get jammed up on the fenders? I already bought them so I'm hoping they work!

jb1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45:41 AM »
just for reference  the BMW 3 series 98 to 03 ?  ithink  maybe 02  are same as the jetta...

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
Ok.. here is where I think you need to start.  :)

Ask yourself if you want the hood and engine cover to open up like the original (look at pictures on the internet) or do you want them to open another way.  Having them open in the more original fashion is more work, but it's up to you how important this is.  I'm personally going for the more original look on my roadster so I'm using a VW Jetta hinge for the hood up front and I'm using a bearing block in the back (will be mounted under the rear humps) with bent tubular bars for the rear.  If you are planning on using one of the new inner hood panels, they will have the OEM hinge and latch mounting sections molded into the part so this might force you to go with the original opening method anyhow.  The trick to mounting a roadster engine cover is to slot and install your hinges in the rear quarter panel humps and lift the cover up from the outsides of the engine cover.  You also need to think about your spoiler panel and if you are going to hinge it to access any trunk space or install the panel in place like the original.  I'm installing mine in place but it'll easily be removed by taking out a couple of pins.

Here are some pictures that will hopefully help you:

Picture 1 - Jetta hinge for the front hood.
Picture 2 - Custom center lift front hood hinge
Picture 3 - OEM roadster engine cover hinge
Picture 4 - Dratts roadster engine cover hinge
Picture 5 - Bearing block that will mounted under my quarter humps and attached to a tubular strut that will lift up on the outer edges of the cover.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:44:08 AM by No Bull »

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
If we have to replace them anyway I'm wondering if we can get a longer strut and attach the top end to the hood like oem front trunk hood.
I already have the Jetta hinges others are using they look similar to those I think.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:59:31 PM by Tallon »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Hinges for Front Hood/Engine Cover
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
I am going to try the Grand Prix trunk articulating hinges for my front trunk and for the engine cover.  GM uses a gas strut on this hinge but the front trunk might be lighter than the OEM Grand Prix trunk lid so you may need a lighter strut for up front.  Jim

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired