Author Topic: Feiro or Mr2 frame?  (Read 3565 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: Feiro or Mr2 frame?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
Really good unbiased information Linlor! I agree with all of it.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Linlor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
The frame you use will be mostly what you have available and what your personal preference will be.   The Fiero is where I have all my experience.  I have not had an mr2 or worked on one. 

The Fiero can be stretched and reinforced very easily and there is lots of info out on the web on how to do it.  Also a large community supporting the Fiero.  I have to assume there is lots of support out there for the mr2 as well.

I agree with am33r that the interior and other mechanical items are newer and updated.  Fieros did come with A/C and cruise (I have both on my current project) but the cruise is an old vacuum setup which isn't very good.  Directions for an easy conversion to an electric cruise control setup is available on the Fiero forum.

The suspension on the Fiero is older and the earlier than '88 models wasn't the best, but again easy ways to fix.  Bump steer was the biggest issue with the rear suspension on the Fiero and that can very easily be fixed with an extension outward of the trailing arm mounts on the engine cradle.  I removed 95% of my bump steer with an outward placement of the trailing arm mounts.  Only time it started to get introduced was near full compression and full extension and if you are that far, you are already in way more trouble than some bump steer....... :)

These projects usually require wider suspension stances anyway so regardless of whether you have an mr2 or a Fiero, you either widen the suspension or you use massive spacers.  My personal preference is to widen the control arms etc. rather than spacers but again, personal preference and there is lots of info out there to do that with a Fiero.  Don't know what is available for the mr2.

The stock engine on the mr2 is better than the Fiero but, from what I have seen, there really aren't too many builders that keep the original motors in these projects.    A lot of builders end up reorienting the drive train for longitudinal or update the Fiero engine to a V8 etc.  The MR2 looks like it might be harder to update the engine but that is only a comment from looking at pictures of the engine bay rather than any experience so just an opinion.  Again, I am sure there are many update threads out there for bigger, faster, more powerful drive trains for the mr2 as well.

If you already have a Fiero under the project, take the body off and see how the stretch and reinforcing was done and determine if you are happy with it.  If you will need to do updates to the reinforcing etc. to make sure it is safe, you might be better off to start over with a new frame Fiero or mr2 and you can make your call then.

Good luck with the build and looking forward to seeing some pics soon.
Don

william

• Liked: 39
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
The car I bought was on a feiro frame, i think it's a 86 feiro frame,  so I'm going to need to add a good amount of stuff, but he did give me the interior kit, i Will need to get it stitched up with vinyl etc..Btw the pictures look good.

BigPines

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
The stock MR2 engines are more powerful too.

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
Whether MR2 or Fiero; the frame itself can be enforced or made weak depending on stretching, enforcing, and metal trimming.  My choice was based on other factors especially options and interior work associated with the project.

There is an entire generation gap in mechanical advances in the auto industry that can come standard on a 1995 MR2 but not on a 1986 Fiero.  Anti lock brakes, AC, Cruise Control, Power Steering, Tilt Wheel, etc. those were essential to me.  Yes you can add them to a Fiero but that can run you thousands of dollars extra.

Then you have the interior where the MR2 has a 90's classic dash and center console (which is not too old for a 2002 Murcielago style car) so I kept my dash intact and just bought replacement items that in total do not cost $1000.  Keep in mind that all intruments on the cluster function perfectly - hardly the case in any Fiero Conversion.  Here's a pic of some of them (steering wheel, seats, carpets) installed from last year - almost a year ago to-date.

* There you also see the shift knob and boot which were not installed yet, the red pedals weren't installed either and neither was the 7" screen digital entertainment system or other cool parts like LED Cluster etc. but you get the idea.. You can make a native MR2 interior look modern but you can't a Fiero.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:49:36 PM by am33r »

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »
William.   I used the MR2 in my build.  Its an easy stretch that's very simple to stiffen up.   The lines involved were the water lines, brake lines, clutch hydraulic line, fuel line, and lengthening the main battery cable.  The speedo cable can be routed in a way that doesn't need extending.  Also, the harnesses and all electric lines within the car can be loosened from their OEM mounting points and re-routed so as not to have to cut into any OEM electrical Harnesses.  The Shifter cables also need to be lengthened.  I have detailed pics in my diary.   And tons more at home....if you need.   

Mitch
Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

BigPines

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
I believe the MR2 is superior in stiffness and handling. I'd be interested in other views.

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »
reply #31 on my build http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=971.90

I will finally get to my car this Tuesday and post pics

william

• Liked: 39
Feiro or Mr2 frame?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
I'm sure this has been a topic brought up before,  but what's people's preferences on the frame used for the lamborghini out of the two?

Also do you have to extend fuel lines and all of that mess, or is it just break lines etc what all needs to be extended with it.