Author Topic: USING 3D-MODELS FROM VIDEO GAMES ETC. TO PRODUCE KITS  (Read 7453 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: USING 3D-MODELS FROM VIDEO GAMES ETC. TO PRODUCE KITS
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
Thanks am33r. In my opinion, either A or B are the correct way to do this. The glass should not be an afterthought as is sometimes the case. Why not take the time to tweak the model from the beginning to accept specific glass? As discussed, this is extra work for the manufacturer but avoids so much more work down the road for all the consumers. There is a saying in this industry - Fix a mold once or fix a part a thousand times.

The problem with C is, we are HOPING someone can find some appropriate glass which will work. What if no off-the-shelf glass fits the body we have produced? For instance, the Aventador has a very large windshield. It may be difficult to find glass which will fit. One may have to modify the fiberglass to allow for a different size of windshield. Sure that could also be done but it may look funky and why mess with it?

I should mention that I'm not just talking about making sure an OEM Lamborghini window fits. I am talking about ANY glass from ANY manufacturer. SOMETHING has to be able to fit and that should be part of the design even if it requires modification as in the case of the Maxima windshield. That is the real point.

The G28 had a solution for glass from the beginning. The fact that some producers of bodies have no idea what glass will fit their creations is a red flag to me. I would personally not purchase a body if the manufacturer could not tell me what glass they designed it for or what glass they have proved to work in that particular application.

Maybe I am just crazy.

Oh, and BTW...I like carbon fiber too and that happens to get under some people's skin! ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:41:23 PM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
USING 3D-MODELS FROM VIDEO GAMES ETC. TO PRODUCE KITS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »
Guys I moved the discussion on this topic away from the cki legal thread and let's discuss it here.

Why is the Windshield a problem here if there are multiple possibilities in this regard?

A) Implement a given oem windshield into the 3d design prior to producing the body.
B) Create the 3d body as close as possible to the real car allowing for the oem windshield to fit.
C) Create a somewhat accurate body (G28 is close enough to LP640) and anticipate that the end user can find a windshield from some car and cut the corners or cut alter the pillars or fiberglass just enough to fit it.

When I used the Maxima windshield on my G28 roadster I widened the windhsield pillar 1" and I cut both lower corners of the windshield itself.  So basically I altered the glass and the fiberglass; it would've been all avoided with a better thought-of design but it was easy to figure the perfect solution!  This is the least of any issues; as a matter of fact I could have altered the fiberglass in any way I want to theoretically fit jut about any sensible windshield!