Author Topic: door strut locations  (Read 3532 times)

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
Re: door strut locations
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 07:08:52 AM »
As part of door construction, you may want to consider the way I made the opening closure for the gas strut as it passes through the front of the door.
Take a look at my video:
Replica Lambo Door Strut Seal

This is just one way to do it.
Keep us informed as you make progress.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »
I wish to acknowledge the people who originally posted these pictures that help us build our replicas.  Kudos
Here is the Jdinner rubberband tool.  Thanks Jim.  Many of the builders on the forums have really done a super job on their doors.  This fact should help anyone build their doors to look and operate like a pro did the work and you get the pat on the back.  ::bounce  ::thumbup  Keep the excedrin bottle handy though.  It's the part of the build that is mostly uphill, I've been told and can believe.  Jim

Here you can see the door in the closed position.

And here is the Open door position.  Take note that this builder has a total contact frame from the hinge to the latch assembly.  Don't assume that the fiberglass will be strong enough alone without the steel framework.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:43:39 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
farmer, Diablo door jambs should have a place in the front opening where the end of the strut ball stud is located.  Make sure you have rigid support behind the fiberglass to thread in the stud.  That will locate the shaft end of the gas strut. Use www.Mcmaster.com number 6465K7, 270 pound. 27.75" extended length, reducible force gas strut.
With the door mounted on the hinge, lift the door so that the lowest front corner of the door skin is even with a line tangent to the top of the front and rear wheel openings.  That will give you the correct amount of lift.  Spot in the location of the hole you will need to pass the strut through the front of the inner door.  Don't make the hole too big to start, you will have to "work" the hole size to suit through the travel of opening and closing the door.  Also, VERY IMPORTANT, locate the strut cylinder inside the path of the window glass and locate the other ball stud on a solid support steel frame that is welded to the same structure as the hinge and latch.  There is a LOT of force on the end of the strut.
After you get one door aligned, position the second door by leveling the car and opening the first door to full open position.  Then locate the full open position of the second door by placing a level across the car from door top to door top.  This will prevent any alignment issues between both sides caused by differences in the body/wheel openings from one side to the other.
I hope this helps.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
I have adjustable struts from McMasterCarr. (reducible force).
This way you don't need to be accurate for placement when force calculations are needed. Just adjust the strut to the right pressure.
As for placement, use a long rubber band to study the travel of the strut, try to set it up so the hole in the door is as small as possible.
The front bottom corner of the door skin should travel 17 inches to be accurate. Measure door jamb corner to door skin corner = 17".
If I recall, these are the ones I bought.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#reducible-force-gas-springs/=j2aosf
Part #6465K7

farmer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 21
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
door strut locations
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
i have now come to the building of my doors. i have a good idea of how most of the door will be put together and the only thing i am questioning is the placement of the gas struts for the doors. i am wondering if you guys could post up a few pictures of how you have installed the gas struts and what type of struts you are using

thanks in advance
farmer