Author Topic: Pros & Cons between using a Fiero or MR2 for an OEM Murci Build?  (Read 6119 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Pros & Cons between using a Fiero or MR2 for an OEM Murci Build?
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
Keep in mind that pieces of the puzzle are just pieces.  Sub structures when all welded together make the whole.  Just what constitutes the "whole" is in the design of the builder.  How many gussets and how many braces are enough?  I have seen replica chassis' that were welded with a stick welder.  If I took the time to cut out a replica chassis, I certainly wouldn't be welding it with a stick welder when a mig would do a better job. (IMO)  Some self-proclaimed professional builders actually use pop rivets, sheet metal screws, and nuts & bolts to make major attachments.  You can't see what's underneath once the body is on.  You will be puting your life and those who ride with you out on a thin string of security.  If I were going to lay down heavy cash in a purchase, I would have to see how the build went together.  Build it like it's going to be your wife's main grocery getter.  (you do love your wife, don't you)  ::bounce ::angel ::thumbup   Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:38:33 AM by italianknightrider »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
In my experience you also need to add reinforcement in the rocker area to help avoid the "folding body" if you have a roadster.  V8 Archie does an awesome frame reinforcement on his roadsters.  I like my Fiero base too!

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
Weaky floor pan and cabin on a Fiero??  Depends on the builder.  Most that I know and have seen have installed an "X" brace under the center of the floorpan.  This X brace is then welded to the to the floorpan and to the Main side tubing that runs the full length of the rockers.  Mine is bolted at the front in place of the connecter tubing that goes from the right to the left side of the floor pan at the front just behind the front cross member.  The X brace is also connected to and welded at the front of the rockers.  The entire cabin is surrounded by rectangular tubing; at the top of the firewall to the sides and down to the rocker tubing up to the front and up to the windshield support and hinge support and across the front under the windshield.  It is up to the builder how much engineering and strength goes into the Fiero cabin/floorpan area.  Each of us has a budget that we seem to overrun in the end.  OEM parts are very nice as well as a custom chassis.  I attended the Carlisle Show and I have seen some junk and I have seen some very high quality.  The end result is in the skills of the builder.  I like my Fiero.  Jim

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17:17 AM »
Yeah the front hood is longer, body was made basically to fit the donor and maxima windshield, I don't know too much how it fits the donor since I made a tube chassis though. but I assume stretching the cabin would only move the rear firewall back further and that is what the rear window sits on, which is already far back the way it is. Behind the roof panel rather than in front like oem.

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
IMO
Pro: Fiero, a ready made wide track suspension system has been created.
Pro: Fiero, easily upgradeable braking system available.
Pro: Fiero, you don't need to do anything to the floor pan, just cut and push forward the original firewall so it's straight up and re-weld. lines right up with the rear window area of the body.
Pro: Fiero, alot of the electrical is set up like real lambo, very easy to convert switches, gages, lighting etc...
Pro: Fiero, you can drop multiple engines or trannys you want in it with simple mods.
Pro: Fiero, there's even more leg room than in the real lambo. not sure about MR2

Im happy with the fiero
Just my .02

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:10:32 PM by lambo_sam »

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
the top of the fenders leading to the smaller windscreen area is one place 2" - 3" an the side of the rear bumper is 1.5" to long on the side to compensate for the wheelbase move forward ,that s why its a 10.5" stretch
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
Why do they have to be stretched inside the cabin?

Con would be the rear window/firewall is much further back than oem. I would think even more so if stretched inside the cabin, but either way.
2 Things:
1.Well, the Fiero may not have to be stretched inside the cabin for an OEM build, just saying in the event it would be to solve that far back dash & seating look or would it even make a difference where it's stretched?
2. If it were stretched inside the cabin though, it wouldn't be a big deal to relocate the seats forward and create a new back wall directly behind the seats. Essentially, that gap that's between the engine & cabin on a normal stretched Fiero would now be inside the cabin.

Tallon, you may know, could this be the reason why the doors were shortened on the G28 in the first place, to avoid that far back dash & seating issue? I know from having to shorten the OEM door panels on my first build, the doors are approximately 2.5" shorter.

Since the doors are about 2.5" shorter on the G28, then where was it lengthened to compensate for the shorter doors, in the front clip/dash area or quarter panel/rear clip? The wheelbase is only 1" shorter on a G28 build than it is on the OEM car, so something had to be done to compensate for the 2.5" shorter doors.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:02:43 AM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
My G28 was stretched behind the cabin.  I think all Fiero Lambos are.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
Why do they have to be stretched inside the cabin?

Con would be the rear window/firewall is much further back than oem. I would think even more so if stretched inside the cabin, but either way.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:20:18 PM by Tallon »

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
Pros & Cons between using a Fiero or MR2 for an OEM Murci Build?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
What are the pros & cons between using a Fiero or MR2 for an OEM Murci build? Both donor cars will have to be stretched inside the cabin. Below are some of the pros & cons I can think of for either cars. Anyone else feel free to chime in:
Fiero:
Pro: E-brake already in OEM Murci location & does not need to be extended
Pro: No line extention needed after the stretch for an automatic (on the manuals the shifter & selector cables need to be extended)
Con: Hasn't been done before so no references to confirm dash alignment in relation to doors & seating
Con: Weaky cabin & floor pans overall
Con: Possible fuel tank interference underneath the cabin or relocation needed?

MR2:
Pro: It has already been done by Extreme overseas (dash alignment in relation to doors & seating seems fine)
Pro: MR2's are generally stretched inside the cabin anyhow for Murci builds (so its proven in that regard)
Con: Lines have to be stretched for both automatic and manual (not sure which ones, maybe "MDMurcy" can chime in here)
Con: E-brake not in OEM Murci location
-Jayso