Author Topic: New First Time Kit Builder  (Read 5286 times)

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New First Time Kit Builder
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
If you come across a Fiero (any year) with a SC3800 in it for 1K let me know! You cant touch one in CA for under 7K!

FastEddy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate the feedback. You guys are the Experts afterall.

The wrap idea was just an idea. Guess it wasn't a great one. I read some write ups on it and watched some videos, and it seemed pretty cool. Guys were even wrapping brand new OEM Lambos and Ferraris, mainly to cheaply change the color and to protect the factory finish. When it's professionally done, there are no seems or edges visible. However, I see what you are saying. If it has to be painted regardless, why not spring to the real deal.

As for building it in stages, I might also do this. I am in no hurry. Money will dictate my pace. But if I start this, Lord help me, I WILL finish it.  ::headbang

As for the budget build, I can see how things could get away from you, but with my wife holding the purse strings, I will be shopping around for the best deals. For example, the Prothane Complete Fiero Bushing kit I recently purchased, I only bought it because it was a great deal. $80 unopened. Craigslist. Guy had bought it for his car, deployed to Iraq before he got it installed, got severely injured over there and sold off everything when he returned. The 1986 Fiero I am planning to get, comes WITH a low mileage 3800 SC series 2, for $1000. Guy was in the process of swapping it  in when his wife became seriously ill, and now he needs the money for medical bills. Geez, that all makes me sound like I am benefiting from others misfortune. Speaking of...anybody know anyone with a nice set of rims who is about to die?....j/k

Here's what I'm thinking:
86 Fiero with 3800 SC = $1000
Replacement bushings = $80
New Shocks & Strutz & springs = $600
New Brakes (Lebarron rotors, Camaro & Cadillac calipers, Blazer MC) = $500
Interior = $1000
CKI Body Kit = $3000
Steel, Misc parts for stretch & body mount = $1000
Aftermarket Rims & Tires = $1000
Body fill & Paint = $1500
Misc costs = $300

Total = <$10,000 (I know it seems like a pipe dream and undoable and I probably forgot a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't fit into any of my categories, but I can dream, CAN'T I?)  Remember, I am not shooting for OEM or exact replica. Just a nice looking car that is fun to drive and gets noticed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:39:53 PM by FastEddy »

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
Also know that no one has ever built a murci for less than $30,000- even using their own labor . Don't believe what cki says on their website

The builder on here called Mitchmurcy or something like this says he built his under $20K and maybe even less than that.  However, he's not finished completely yet.  So it can be done.  But you gotta score nicely on your parts.  For the majority, you will go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY over budget.  So be prepared.   

Not to discourage you but most builds fail over a period of time due to the two most sought after commodities TIME & MONEY......and then there is the wife and kids thing. 

It's best to find an incomplete build and buy it for much less than what they have into it, plus it will save YOU the time on the things that are already done.  For ex.  someone might have the body already and a stretched fiero chassis with 3800 motor already installed.

Make sure when your dad and buddies are helping you that you learn how to weld and work w/ fiberglass and bondo as well b/c you don't want your friends to stop answering your calls b/c you need help on your car on Sunday Football day etc.

Definantly don't believe what CKI says on their website vids about how easy this kit is and that one is.  Every "kit" is difficult, especially Lambo "kits" b/c they aren't "kits".  With the Lambo "kits" available from anyone they give you a body and some other miscellaneous fiberglass parts and YOU have to source all the parts that make it work.  So the word "kit" is used very freely here. 

With that said, it's difficult of course, otherwise everyone would be doing it (maybe).  And it sounds like you are prepared for the time aspect of it.  What some think can be done in 6 months.....actually ends up taking them 3+ years.  It can be done and it's Message boards like this that will help you through your journey.  Good luck

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 01:34:03 AM »
Welcome ed!

May I reccomend you take this project in two stages- first make a fiero with the 3800 motor , and make it into a nice running /driving car.  That will be a "test" for you to make certain you have the skills to try the next stage of the build - the stretch and rebody

By doing it this way, you should have a nice driveable sporty fiero after a few months work, instead of a torn apart hulk sitting in the garage for years/ and then down the line when you get the money to buy the body you can start in that stage of the project

Also know that no one has ever built a murci for less than $30,000- even using their own labor . Don't believe what cki says on their website

Murci-Me

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
Well, looks like you've got all your spare time for the next couple years spoken for LOL!
Good luck with your build, and dont be to proud to ask questions here!
For the wrap on your car (in order for it to look decent), it will need to be painted first before its wraped so that might not be much of a money saving idea. Also, no matter how well a car is wraped, it will never look as good as paint, even if its just for the reason of the seams and edges which dont exist on a painted car. There are also compound curves the wrap wont cover in a single piece, and areas that are to tight to reach to apply the wrap. Its your car and your choice, and just my 2 cents lol  ;)

SchulzeA

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ed. Looking forward to seeing your build. And thank you for your service to the country  ::salute  ::usa

FastEddy

New First Time Kit Builder
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
Well, after thinking and dreaming about it for years, I am finally going for it. I have been reading the forums (this one, MadMechanics, & Pennocks) for months now, getting ready. I started the build with the idea of giving it to my now 13 yr old (who LOVES cars, especially Italians) when he got his license, thereby giving myself a fixed DUE DATE. I figured building it together would be a great way to teach him about cars and hoped that when he saw all that went into it, he might take good car of it. After discussing this with the wife (but not before the boy told all his friends at school, LMAO), she...I mean "I" quickly realized what an absolutely HORRIBLE idea this was. Too much temptation for a teenage boy, plus the overall cost involved for a "First-car", PLUS plus the lack of safety features for a crash-prone age-group of driver. Now, for helping me build it, he might get to use it for his Senior Prom. Plus the experience working on cars. And if he's lucky, he'll get a $1500 used civic to learn on.

So, who am I?
My name is Ed. I work for the Federal Gov ::usa as a low-level-lacky. I'm a disabled vet ::salute , a volunteer fireman, and a part-time stand-up comic. I've been around cars my whole life. My dad worked at Dana and my parents owned a Auto & 4-wheel drive repair & parts business when I was growing up. I spent more summers in junkyards with my dad then most kids spent in a pool or playground. I am very good at building stuff with my hands, and my kids think I can fix anything. However, I have never attempted anything on this scale. I would say my skill level is above average, but not "mechanic" or "body man" range. I do have resources though. My dad has tons of mechanical experience working on cars, mostly muscle & drag cars. I have friends who weld and do body work (probably even for a 6-pack) ::beers.  One other draw back, I'm not rich. So my build will DEFINITELY be on a budget. But I'm not shooting for OEM, just nice. I don't need to fool any experts or dealer/owners, just something that people like and gets noticed. Definitely don't want it to look cheap though. I have an empty garage, a tolerant wife, and a dream, DAMNIT!

So what am I building....a Lambo Merc. So far, I got the complete teardown/rebuild manual for the Fiero (by Haynes I think). I also picked up a total Prothane Bushing Kit for complete car for a really good deal on Craigslist. If all goes as planned, in the next few weeks, I will be picking up my donor 86 Fiero. With it, I'll be getting a 3800 SC series 2, ready to be installed. I plan to upgrade the brakes and suspension and stretch the frame, polishing and paint and generally rehabing/replacing everything else along the way. Then, at a much later date, I will be getting my body kit from CarKitsInc. I'll probably use some aftermarket seats, do so custom interior work, etc. Pick up some nice aftermarket rims off Tire Rack or ebay or craigslist, etc. I plan to use junkyard and parts store as needed along the way. Finally, I am thinking about "wrapping" it. They say it looks as good as paint, hides poor body work, and is cheaper than paint. Right now, I'm think Matte Black with Yellow accents.

Sorry this was sooooo long, but that's it in a nutshell. Would love to know your thoughts, advice, tips, etc. But only if its positive and useful. That other poopie you can keep to yourself.  ::toothy