Author Topic: Solrac's Reventon (Frankenstein) built  (Read 40000 times)

solrac

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 52
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Solrac's Reventon
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
Thanks to fieroguru i got my 13" break set up today.. =)
they are huge!!!

solrac

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »
Not the best welds but what do u guys think?
will it hold or should i redo them?

solrac

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
DRIVER TOP

DRIVER BOTTOM

PASSANGER TOP

PASSANGER BOTTOM

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Ohhhhh another thing, if you still had your suspension connected this would be much faster too.  have everything sitting on the ground.  What I would do first is slice a slit into the frame where its going to be cut, than weld the tubes on.  cut the frame, its easier to have the tires still on the back so you can roll the rear half back than do your measurements and weld everything after your happy with the length.  don't forget to support your mid section of the car so that so that it doesnt sag when you move it.  DON'T EVER LET IT HAVE A POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE BOW! after doing all that, weld in your new beams and reinforce the poopie out of it.  add a 1/4"x 6" steel plate over your welds to lock it in

lol thanks, but not a genius just paying it forward. 
was watching coach works do their limo stretches, and just adapted their methods into this.  I've had different designs to build a frame machine to do the stretching but again it would cost and arm an a leg to have one made.  after many attempts and trial and error, the most basic methods work the best.  I've been doing it this way for many years now and has not done me wrong

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:37:16 AM by apsara »

Onewickedsvt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
heres a diagram if you don't understand what im talking about.

this is an amazing idea.

you are a genius!

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
Solrac, if your still having trouble stretching your frame and getting everything to align correctly there is a very simple solution to this.  Before cutting your frame you should use a telescoping rod for all four point that you will be cutting.  you can still use this method in your current state and will work on uneven ground.  I do this all the time and it takes out all the guessing when stretching, limos stretching is done this way, but with a better telescoping rod.

step 1. cut out the metal where you welded for the stretch.
step 2.  move you back half of the frame back to its original connection points.
step 3. make your telescoping rods.  you take DOM round tubing, 2" wide tube plus the length.  your length is your inches of stretch plus 6" extra.  Than get 8" of a second tube that goes on the outside of your 2" tube.  Length of this one is 8".  cut the 8" tube in half.  Now make 4 more of these the same way.
step 4.  Once your moved your frame back to stock dimensions, tack on the tubes to those points.  Only tack your outer tube, do not weld where you have cut the 8" inches in half.  After you have tacked on all your four points. make sure your inner tube can slide freely back and fourth, you lube it up if you like.  When you happy about its movement, weld the outer tubes to your frame so that it will not move on you during the process.  Must be strong welds as it will be supporting alot of weight during the stretch.
step 5.  you will require 1 floor jack, 2 hand crank jacks that you find in the trunk of your car, measuring tape.
step 6.  now you can start spreading your frame back with the hand jacks till you reach your desired length.  use the floor jacks to lift up on the back corner of the frame if it seems uneven to you.  measure your lengths, measure in the engine bay area corner to corner to make sure its square, than tack the outer tubes to your inner tubes so that it will not move on your when you go to weld your square tubing to the frame.  The whole process should cost you no more than $50-60 in metal to do the stretch.  You can reuse the telescoping rods again later on if you stretch another car. 

Hope this helps, this is the way that I do my stretches and it comes out perfect every time.  Takes me 30-40 mins to stretch a car this way.

Good info Apsara, need to add this to the frame section to help other members down the road ::beers

Onewickedsvt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
if its after your wheels, who cares.

either way, if you are using fiero rear suspension it can all be tracked with the adjustable tie rods.

half inch is not the end of the world.

solrac

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 08:30:41 AM »
WOW.. thanks.. that is a freaking great idea!!!
i will go but some tubing later today..
all this time struggling.. lol. this will for sure work...
Thank you a lot apsara

apsara

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
heres a diagram if you don't understand what im talking about.

apsara

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »
Solrac, if your still having trouble stretching your frame and getting everything to align correctly there is a very simple solution to this.  Before cutting your frame you should use a telescoping rod for all four point that you will be cutting.  you can still use this method in your current state and will work on uneven ground.  I do this all the time and it takes out all the guessing when stretching, limos stretching is done this way, but with a better telescoping rod.

step 1. cut out the metal where you welded for the stretch.
step 2.  move you back half of the frame back to its original connection points.
step 3. make your telescoping rods.  you take DOM round tubing, 2" wide tube plus the length.  your length is your inches of stretch plus 6" extra.  Than get 8" of a second tube that goes on the outside of your 2" tube.  Length of this one is 8".  cut the 8" tube in half.  Now make 4 more of these the same way.
step 4.  Once your moved your frame back to stock dimensions, tack on the tubes to those points.  Only tack your outer tube, do not weld where you have cut the 8" inches in half.  After you have tacked on all your four points. make sure your inner tube can slide freely back and fourth, you lube it up if you like.  When you happy about its movement, weld the outer tubes to your frame so that it will not move on you during the process.  Must be strong welds as it will be supporting alot of weight during the stretch.
step 5.  you will require 1 floor jack, 2 hand crank jacks that you find in the trunk of your car, measuring tape.
step 6.  now you can start spreading your frame back with the hand jacks till you reach your desired length.  use the floor jacks to lift up on the back corner of the frame if it seems uneven to you.  measure your lengths, measure in the engine bay area corner to corner to make sure its square, than tack the outer tubes to your inner tubes so that it will not move on your when you go to weld your square tubing to the frame.  The whole process should cost you no more than $50-60 in metal to do the stretch.  You can reuse the telescoping rods again later on if you stretch another car. 

Hope this helps, this is the way that I do my stretches and it comes out perfect every time.  Takes me 30-40 mins to stretch a car this way.

solrac

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »
after all this time i still cant align it right.. GRRRRRRRRRRRr   ???
the floor pavement is really off level so its really hard to get it align..
does any one here in LA does the stretch???
all i need is for it to be align and tack weld.. i can do the rest.
PM me if u know someone and price .. thanks

solrac

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »
I am having trouble aligning the whole frame. I think its cus where i cut it.
I will be stretching it 11.5 so my extensions are 15.5.
2 extra inches on each side that will slide in.
I think if i just use 1 extra inch instead of 2 i will be able to align it.
so my question is would it be any problems if i just do 1 inch on each side??
or i should just keep cutting the frame to make it align??

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
TAKE YOUR TIME during this part of your build and don't rush it.  Don't be afraid to take a couple of steps backwards and redo to make it right.  It makes you feel good inside that you did.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

solrac

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »
sorry for the late replies. i did check many times the measurement of the body. all measurements are correct just i did it wrong.
i am in the middle of fixing it tho. its just with all these holidays i have been busy with work.
i am sorry to say but that car is ugly. lol.
i will post more pics soon. and the stretch will be done by the end of the year/world. lol

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »
Here I believe is a perfect example of OOOPs!!  I cut it too short. Also, it looks like someone who was weight enhanced sat on the windshield.   Jim

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:18:05 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired