Author Topic: Looking to learn  (Read 1857 times)

hellraizor

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Looking to learn
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
I searched youtube for it and only found episodes in a foreign language, do you have any links to the english versions?

SchulzeA

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »
YouTube - Kit an Autobody Experiance.
They make it looks easy but it will keep you busy until your DVD arrives :)

hellraizor

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »
Picking up that dvd might not be such a bad idea. And I have time on my side, I don't plan on doing anything til next year anyways so I'll have plenty of time to decide on if I still want to have it built or do it myself.  Thanks guys!

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »
Welcome :)
You can learn bodywork skills, etc. as you go, it shouldn't be a problem just reading up on everything before you do it. Also a lot of us have over a years worth of research before even starting our builds. Really helps.

madmods

• Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
Go to mike vetters website kitcar.com and purchase his 50 dollar dvd on his carrera build. Don't worry about what car it is, as it follows the same principles. Cut the donar body off, stretch the chassis, mout the body, gas cap, etc.  It will show you alot, and answer the question can you really pull this off? You got to have mad skills to build these cars.
Keep dreaming-I'm sweating, glassing, welding and building every night!
Gagliardi Vendetta
Vetter Carrera Gt
Vetter Lp 640

SchulzeA

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
Welcome. You could buy one that's started like No Bull stated or you could buy one that's nearly complete but lacking that final bit of fit/finish. This is a great time to learn those skills to build things yourself, and if your not able, fall back plan is having someone else do it for you. Ultimately your the judge of your ability and how you want to approach this project. Either way, good luck!

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »
I'll leave it up to others to comment, but the hardest parts are in stretching the frame and any engine transmission swaps that you might want.  Installing the doors is one of the hardest body related jobs and if you are wanting functional door glass, this can also a little difficult if you've never done it before.  The body and paint work can be farmed out was well as the interior.  Electrical will need worked out and shouldn't be underestimated.

Chris

hellraizor

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
I've already learned so much just lurking the board and can't wait to learn more lol.  Yeah I was thinking of possibly buying a partially finished build but I don't want to also end up not being able to finish the project, not due to lack of interest or passion but due to lack of that "additional expertise". But who knows what I may learn by the time it comes for me to throw down the money either way

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
Welcome to the site.

You might want to consider purchasing a partially completed build as they come up for sale often.  Many of us build to our limits and confidence levels then farm out the parts and labor that require additional expertise.

Chris

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
Welcome!  I think you will learn quite a bit from all of these guys on here.
Pedro

hellraizor

Looking to learn
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
Hey what's up everyone?  Just joined today.  I've been reading all the posts and getting as much info as I can.  My plan is to eventually have a Murci or a Reventon built for me.  I would like to build my own but I am honest with myself and know that I do not have the skills needed to do any of the body work that is required for these builds, so I'm just trying to soak in as much info as possible so that when the time comes for me to have one built I know exactly what to ask about and what to expect.