Author Topic: wiring up the fiero gauges to the lambo templet  (Read 8152 times)

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
Re: wiring up the fiero gauges to the lambo templet
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
Murcime is usually extremely busy so I doubt it, Or else believe me he would have my car right now lol
Siteupp.com

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »
Murci me can we just ship you a fiero cluster and have you work your magic turning it into a lambo Lookalike cluster ? How much?

Murci-Me

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, so here goes.........
First, make a guage mounting panel out of 1/8" plexiglass. It should be the same size and shape as the instrument guage face, plus whatever extra you need to mount it in the sharkmouth.
Once thats cut to size, lay the guage face over it, and mark the center point of each guages needle pivot. Drill those out to whatever size you need for the needle shaft to protrude through the plexi unobstructed.
Now, take each guage and hold it in place from behind the plexi, and mark with a sharpie where you need to drill to insert screws to attach the guage to the plexi. Do this for each of the guages, tachometer and speedometer. Once they are all mounted, flip the plexi over and trace the shape of each guage body onto the back of the plexi with a sharpie.
Now remove all the guages. Be sure to label each one with what it is, and which side faces up. Now take your guage face and tape it in place on the face side of the plexi. Hold it up to the light and trace each of the guages areas that need to be illuminated. Now you will have the illumination area, and the guage body areas marked on the back. You will need these shapes in order to cut your electroluminescent panels (available on Ebay) to fit. Trace these shapes onto a piece of paper and cut them out, and then use those a s cutting template for the  EL panels.
The EL panels can be held in place from behind many different ways, I used a second piece of plexi cut to shape slightly larger than each template, and then captured the EL sheet between the guage mounting panel and them to hold the EL sheet in place. I made them slightly larger than the EL sheet so that I had room to run screws through around the edges without perforating the EL panel.
Remember, guages need to be mounted to the plexi guage mounting panel, so the plexi that sandwiches the EL sheet need to be cut like a donut to fit around the guage body, and not so that the guage body mounts to them. The reason is, the pivot needles (especially on Fiero guages) do no protrude very far out of the guage, so you want to keep the mounting panel as thin as possible so there is enough of the pivot needle passing through to press the indicator needle onto.
I'll skip the wiring and warning light mounting for now, thats builders choice and there are 846 different ways to do it.
So now, we move on to the guage face mounting. There are sever types to choose from, IKR sells one, and so do I. You need to have this before you start anything on this project, for reasons spelled out in the beginning of this post.
My guage faces come on a self adhesive mylar, just peel and stick. Since I dont know how IKR'r mount, i'll explain how I did mine.
Take a very thin (1/16" ) sheet of clear PVC and peel the backing from the guage face. Mount the face to the PVC, working out all the bubbles as you go, much like you do when applying window tint. Now take the guage mounting face and place it over the guage face and center it where it needs to be so everything lines up. Trace the shape of the mounting face on the guage face, then cut it to the same shape. Now move it to the front and make sure it fits. This can either be held in place with a few pieces of thin double stick tape, or by capturing it between the guage mounting face and sharkmouth.
There are several other minor things that need to be done, but I wont get into them right now, especially because i'm not even sure if this topic is what you're asking about! 

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »
 ::zzzzz I seem to have missed something here.   ::scratch ::scratch ::scratch  .......and if you call within the next 5 minutes, we will also send 2 of the wingbat remover wrenches.  Yes, you heard right!  Two for only $19.95 plus S&H.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Onewickedsvt

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »
?....???

::study

Don't get it!

lamboman