Author Topic: Can somebody please help me re diablo roadster build got questions  (Read 7244 times)

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
Re: Can somebody please help me re diablo roadster build got questions
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »
do yourself a favor and go aftermarket for engine management, while you could get the OE stuff to work it is a lot more to keep it right, in my opinion.  Even Jim Dinner replaced his with Haltec.

And when it comes to the exhaust 4 groups of 3 or 2 groups of 6 (on the same side of the engine) give you the perfect exhaust phasing for the 12

lambobuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 208
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 07:42:13 AM »

ProjectX

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »
Thank you for the advice , don't worry i wont have unfinished project as this is my dream car :) the car is getting to be  nearly finished its only the engine side im trying to figure out hence the help i need and thank you for all of your inputs.

and i had another look and found out  the engine is from 1998 750iL e38 and not 1999 as i thought sorry about that.

The chassis is actually tubular chassis exact to the size allot of work has already been done its just this engine getting parts i need to fire it up and then link it to the audi gearbox and drop it in.

Thank you all again for your help and inputs please fell free to give me more advice, tips and your thoughts it helps

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 07:16:40 PM »
I have a Megasquirt on my turbo LS/5.3 thats in my Diablo Roadster, my 850i still has the factory ECU's.

FauxDiablo

• Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »
Im running an 034Motorsports computer in my car. It supports Fuel and Ignition for anything from a 4 Cylinder to a 16 cylinder engine. It's not cheap, but it comes all put together and it's easy to use.

That engine cover you are looking for. Forget it, at least for now.

One thing we have ALL noticed, is the number of unfinished kits for sale that people have slobbered through, they have everything (Radio, wheels, badges and even the "Lamborghini valve stem caps") except a working car. Don't be that guy. Get your car running and driving first, then worry about the fluff. And if you are going to do a V12 project, use a custom chassis and not some chopped-up Fiero mess.

ProjectX

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »
Hi AdrianBurton thank you for the video that sounds AMAZING and also  NOW this is interesting

in the second video you can hear them talking and the camera guy says " so those are mufflers and those are resonators " and the guy replies " yhea those are motorcycle one"

that's interesting to place four motorcycle resonators and its something to be considered actually :)

PS dose anybody know where i can buy a replica fiberglass engine cover that shows " Lamborghini V12 5.7L  valve timing management with the engine firing order ?" 

PS thank you tonypaul for your advice i would need to research more about the Megasquirt  so you have it in your v12? how hard was it to set it up and did u need buy anything extra ?
 LOL yhea i was thinking of building the  180 degree exhaust .

Hmmmm 180 degree exhaust + varex muffler + motorcycle resonators....    }:)

Graeme Stebbing

• Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 03:13:17 AM »
The exhaust can make a huge difference if you know what your about look what happened to a boring old merc m120 v12 after a new system was fitted http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-to-make-a-used-mercedes-sound-like-a-pagani-zonda-1611782156

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 08:01:15 PM »
note - this my opinion~

Getting a good engine management system is vital to getting a BMW v12 running right. It can be done but is going to require a ton work, not only in the wiring but getting it running/tuned right when its swapped. Although it appears that the Megasquirt is costly it really isnt compared to trying to get the factory ecu's working correctly. Personally I wouldnt even consider trying to use the factory ecu's if I was swapping a bmw v12.

As far as the BMW V12's sound- As I mentioned before I have BMW 850i and sadly it doesnt sound exotic like the Lambo v12 even with an custom exhaust. Putting on a Lambo muffler isnt going to change pulse sound your wanting. Your going to be stuck with a sound between a Fiero and a Chevy V6 with glasspacks. You can get a decent sound out of them but nothing thats going to be truly representative of a high end exotic v12. You could spend a large amount of money and try to build some 180 degree type/style header that might end up changing the pulse. But again its going to be pretty big investment with no guaranty of it producing what you want.

Sorry I dont have better news, my advice= keep the exhaust simple and spend the money else where.

ProjectX

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
Also few more questions

What type of exhaust muffler would you guys recommend to pair with the bmw v12 engine to sound more exotic ?, would you recommend buying original diablo muffler ect and pair it with engine would that give me the sound close to original ?  or would you recommend  going straight  through cat ect ?

Also if anybody knows where to get bolt on  exhaust manifolds or would you recommend getting them custom made ?

Again thank you for your help

ProjectX

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »
Hi Guys

Thank you so much for the information it really helps

Looks like it will not be as simple as i thought it would be...
However knowing the extra things i would need to get helps allot.

I had a look at Megasquirt and to  use cable driven throttle bodies might be a bit out of my price range but i will keep that as a plan B :)

If anybody has any more tips or things i should be looking for please fell free to give your advice

Ps dose anybody know where i could get the replica fiberglass  engine cover that shows " Lamborghini V12 5.7L  valve timing management with the engine firing order ?"

Again i really apreciate the help

FauxDiablo

• Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
Radiators...I'm using two of them in parallel.

They are supposedly cooling-off an Audi ABZ V8, but the fans never start because the radiators are just too darn efficient...which is a good problem to have.  ::headbang

At any rate, my rads are aftermarket aluminum 3-core (3 row actually) "racing" rads for a Honda Del Sol...and for what they are, they are dirt-cheap on Ebay.

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 12:54:38 PM »
A 1999 engine must be an M73 , so you will also require ...
Ignition Key Transponder Reader
EWS Immobiliser Module
IKE Instrument Pack
LCM Light Control Module
ETS Battery Control Module - not essential
Throttle Potentiometer
Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump & Senders
Starter Motor Relay
ABS ECU      [ For Speedo , DSC etc ]
LCM Module
Steering Angle Sensor (Steering Column)
DME ecu's . 1 & 2
EML ecu
This enables the engine to run.
and then .. :-\
Oooh , Red leather.

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »
From the picture you posted - with the brake pedal , all that there is in that photo is the throttle lever which pivots between the floor mounted pedal and the potentiometer - which is what you require.
The potentiometer is mounted onto the brake pedal housing , but is missing in that photo.
The part designated R10 looks like this....
 :)
Oooh , Red leather.

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 11:18:43 AM »
Oh yeah Jims switch the brain for aftermarket
You can follow on Kitcentral in engine 10