Author Topic: Door problems.  (Read 4607 times)

faker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 26
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: Door problems.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
Supercobra! that video is great, i needed this thank you.

faker

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »
Update: So i have been doong a little research on the doors, i have been looking at past videos of the car on youtube, the door skins are attached not sealed but they are attached with a black liquid weld, but i could probably still simply remove the skins. Jamey said that the only adjustment should be made at the latch and the hinge. Im not fully sure and i would hope not but i have a gut feeling this build was abandoned because of the doors, in one video he states that "on my other build i wasn't happy with thr doors and the gaps so i really want to get this one right before paint. but nothing ever came from.it and the doors still never aligned.

faker

Supercobra

• Liked: 10
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 05:00:17 PM »
Also - make sure you watch the second one as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JiykdnD9LE

Supercobra

• Liked: 10
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
Works fine for me.

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
Faker, that vid link is not working. Can you fix it i'd like to see.   thanks.

Thumper

• Liked: 31
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 07:58:40 AM »
Yeah the doors are a pain in the "A"!!, Here is also a video with a good way to get your door gaps completed after alignment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZ6fBdPlbI

THANK YOU!  I've been looking for that video for some time.  This is going to help tremendously!

Jesse102

• Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
looks like you are going to need a good body guy to cut reline and fiber glass and bondoyou might be better off removing front skin and reline it better than bondo to make stuff line up

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
Yeah the doors are a pain in the "A"!!, Here is also a video with a good way to get your door gaps completed after alignment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZ6fBdPlbI

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
Was this the one being sold for $3000 due to bankruptcy ?

minihawn

• Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 04:56:27 PM »
First thing I would suggest is for you to figure out if you want power windows and door latches. If the answer is yes then you would need to let your inner and outer door skin apart.   From there it should be make it a little easier to get your doors aligned . Also you should want to figure out what's causing the misalignment for example as your hands misaligned is the fiberglass door itself out of alignment?  And like RT said if it's within an eighth of an inch it can be bought it worked
Fate has no choice

faker

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
this car used to belong to Jamey, some of you may have had the opportunity to see the YouTube videos of the car when he had it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCUX1LTZ8] [url]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCUX1LTZ8[/url]

Yeah the doors look like they are attached to the skins with that black liquid weld stuff. hopefully i can accomplish this because im panicking again lol  :LL:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:45:11 PM by faker »

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 02:27:34 PM »
Does your doors already have the metal window frames inside?

my tip- go to home depo/lowes and get a bunch of those wood paint stick stirers. Get both sizes the big and the small. Use the larger ones along the bottom. You may need to stack them on top of each other to get the door height correct. Unbolt the door from the hinge.

Tape the smaller paint sticks along the sides of the door jam on the car. This should get you close. Start and the front of the door (closest to the hinge) getting it in the right position. You might have to trim the door at the back of the door on the latch side.

Not sure what type of hinges you have and if their adjustable, but go from there on getting the hinges attached to the doors.

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 01:00:15 PM »
The doors are the most work to assemble and get right.  They are not the only part that has to be aligned correctly to make it all fit.  If the body is not mounted correctly the doors will not fit.
It appears your doors are bonded together and the body is mounted.  You could be in for a lot of work to straighten everything out.  The first thing I would do is remove the latch and unbolt the door from the hinge.  Then place shims under the door (between the inner door and rocker panel) to get about 1/4" gap between the door skin and rocker panel.  Now see if you can get the door to align all the way around the outside edge to the rest of the body.  If it will not match everywhere, you will have to either remount the body panels or pull the skin off the door and re-bond it to the inner door so it does match the body.
The only location the door haas to align with the body is when it is closed.  The hinge and latch will work even if the door doesn't match the body, as you can see.  So, align the door and body with the door closed and completely latched.
Remember, theses panels may not align perfectly.  If the edge is within 1/8" you will be able to body work the panels to make them right.
RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

faker

Door problems.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:27:06 AM »
Im new with this, im stuck trying to figure out exactly what needs done with my doors, they are latching, but they are horribly aligned. I bought the car as a partial build, i have been told different things on what exactly needs done but im still really not so sure.

Im going to post the Pictures of my latching doors and hopefully i can get a good solid answer to solving my problem with my door headache, hopefully this will solve others door problems too. Thank all of you who took the time to read and for your input.