Author Topic: Buying a Car Hauler Trailer  (Read 714 times)

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
Re: Buying a Car Hauler Trailer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »
Good info, thanks for posting this!
Pedro

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Buying a Car Hauler Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »
Here are a few things that I have found in my process of purchasing a used Car Hauler Trailer.  Price can be from $1200-$2000 depending on type of build (aluminum or steel, wood floor or diamond plate, winch, storage etc.)  It should come with a title.  It should have a serial number and weight sticker on the framework.  Check the wiring.  Extra lights are needed for different states if over 80" in width.  I found that in replacing the main electrical plug harness that they do not come with matching color coded wires. (GM, Ford, Chrysler etc.)  Check before you solder.  Check the underside welds at joints.  My used trailer had few underside welds.  (Only surface viewable joints were welded)  Rustproof the under carriage as it most times is neglected.  Check the condition of the tires (tread depth, unusual wear patterns, nicks and cuts, bent wheels, etc.)  Repack the wheel bearings and check their condition as well as the brake system.  If you are going to haul your replica, you will need to make up a set of longer ramps even if the trailer has a beaver tail feature.  I needed to add a riser ahead of the beaver tail joint get my fuel cell to clear when loading the car.  My replica has a heavy rear mounted engine/trans so I load my car backwards to better center the weight on the middle of the trailer and not on the rear axle.  This makes it tow better.  Level the trailer with the correct hitch point on the truck.  It's a learning process.  Hope this helps.   Jim 
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired