Author Topic: Rewire my 86 Fiero?? Have a Question or two  (Read 5991 times)

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Rewire my 86 Fiero?? Have a Question or two
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »
those look interesting . i just may.

::headbang
Fate has no choice

Linlor

• Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »
If you are keeping most of the Fiero parts, then I recommend keeping the Fiero wiring harness.

I just rewired a bunch of my Fiero 308 replica and I pretty much just went through the Fiero wiring and replaced years of poor wiring replacements etc.  If you get the really good maintenance manuals for your year Fiero, the wiring is not bad to clean up.  I would rather cut a frame in half and stretch and build the car than do wiring and I found it pretty decent to trace wires and understand how the Fiero wiring harness went by using the really good manuals.  You can download the really good Fiero manuals from a couple websites for free.

If your current harness is working, don't make more work for yourself than you need to.  Lots of work available on all the other pieces you will be putting together,.

Cheers
Don

minihawn

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
those look interesting . i just may.
Fate has no choice

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0

minihawn

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »
Gotcha, thanks for the replays. I may just keep my fiero wiring for now. But I will have power windows so I'll have to figure that out soon
Fate has no choice

faker

• Liked: 26
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:32 AM »
my last post is more of a mess then my wiring :LL: Sorry fellas you get the point.

faker

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 12:50:11 AM »
I rewired my Fiero with one of those painless harness.  You have to keep in mind those harness are only a starting point.  You will have to re-use the heater/AC wires, you will have to add extra wires for the dash, steering column etc. power windows, you will have to add relays.  I would recommended retaining the Fiero connectors and you can reuse many of them.   In my opinion I wouldn't consider the painless harness as a plug and play for this application. 

Mike

Tony Paul thats my situation as well, the partial build i picked up with the 383 v8 is a mess, wires everywhere, but the main point for rewiring the kit car for me is the fact it will clean everything up as well, you dont need a million options on these cars i wouldn't think, but the bonus is if you want to add power windows later, otherwise its wiring up exactly whats neede only witch shouldn't be much at all, car needs to start run and have a radio, i do.t plan on driving in the snow, plus mine is a roadster so tops already off so i dont need A C.. I just figure this is a great option.

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 11:35:51 PM »
If it was me and i was keeping the fiero drivetrain, ac/heat ect I would keep the orginal fiero wiring. But in my case doing a motor swap it just made more sense to replace it with a new wiring harness.

The wiring harness I got came with a GM plug for the steering column so that was just plug and play. My power window wiring I also got a wiring kit off ebay for that to. It came with relays and just had to tap into my window motors and switches. Every thing else I had to wire, gauges, alarm, stereo, ect. I also made my own LS (microsquirt) wiring harness, my trans controller just need to be wired to the trans plug. I did a ton of wiring, but if I can do it- anyone can do it.

msaby

• Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »
I rewired my Fiero with one of those painless harness.  You have to keep in mind those harness are only a starting point.  You will have to re-use the heater/AC wires, you will have to add extra wires for the dash, steering column etc. power windows, you will have to add relays.  I would recommended retaining the Fiero connectors and you can reuse many of them.   In my opinion I wouldn't consider the painless harness as a plug and play for this application. 

Mike
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:13:41 PM by msaby »

minihawn

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »
glad i could help. would u mind giving me more detail ? PM or here is fine, even text/call if u want..?? please thanks
Fate has no choice

faker

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
When I built my car I ripped out eery single Fiero wire that was in the car. Got a 21 circuit universal GM wiring harness off Ebay and rewired the whole car. But I was doing a motor swap, putting in VDO replica Lambo gauges, my own power window motors,ect so it made more sense to replace everything to me.

Ever since i saw this post, i started researching this harness, this is a kit car owners dream, either i have just never got with the program or in the loop but this thing allows you to add only whats needed and its practically for dummies almost plug and play. Thank god for this thread it saved me probably thousands of dollers.

minihawn

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
That's good question, I think he did. I can't seem to find any new or updates about it but it does look awesome would you agree

Awesome! Thank you
Fate has no choice

faker

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
Last time i spoke with him about 8.months ago he said he was litterly weeks away from completing the car. I plan on shooting a message his way in the next couple weeks because im curious as well :drool , ill let him know we are all very excited to see the finished product!

minihawn

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »
That's good question, I think he did. I can't seem to find any new or updates about it but it does look awesome would you agree
Fate has no choice

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
I personally have been going back and forth with idea of doing what this guy did, he used a 04 grand prix gtp wiring from a salvaged gtp and the dash supposedly fits like a charm, if you read his build it looks great and it saves you cash, if you swap the gtp 3800sc motor from a 04 in your build useing the wiring from the gtp dash and gauge cluster majes everything plug in play, no splicing into wiring etc, i spoke with him and he claims that it wasn't that hard, check it out.

[url=http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125870.html]http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125870.html[/url]

What happened with that ? Did the guy give up?